WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PTL & Big Four Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

They can't. Those leagues are capped at two programs participating by the NCAA and with Drake and Iowa State there, UNI can't play.
    Does the cap only apply to DI schools? I thought the PTL has some Iowa Conference players (or equivalent small colleges), but I may be mis-remembering.

Comment

You sure can’t expext the players to travel over 4 hours each time along with with everything they have to get done each week. They did that long enough driving to PTL each week and sure they had 3-4 games at Waterloo but most of the time certain Iowa players never showed and teams played short. No respect for Uni as they were stand up guys that showed up at north liberty and helped hold the PTL togther when it was always about iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by JD720 View Post

Does the cap only apply to DI schools? I thought the PTL has some Iowa Conference players (or equivalent small colleges), but I may be mis-remembering.
        Correct. DI only.
        #MACtion

Comment

They can't. Those leagues are capped at two programs participating by the NCAA and with Drake and Iowa State there, UNI can't play.
          That means Iowa’s players are shut out too. I agree with others above that the timing between the two announcements was awfully quick. Sounds like a smoke = fire situation, although not a major issue.

Comment

I’ve stated I’d like to get Creighton in

but

if ISU and Creighton are out make it a regional good MM 2 day event.

Drake, UNI, SDSU and...um....maybe USD? Mostly gross but could work. Arena would be too big.
            GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
              Keep the Big Four.
              Replace Iowa.

Find a local school with ties to all 3. Ties to the region. A “big conference” school that could bring TV rights. Someone that would draw interest.

Gee, who fits that?

My new campaign is...

UNI
              Drake
              Iowa State
              Creighton
              Why the heck keep Drake involved? They bring nothing.
              "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

2--The Valley, A10, Mountain West, WCC, CAA, CUSA, MAC and Sun Belt need to get together and flat tell P6s that they aren't playing them anymore other than in MTEs or true H-H. We will not take buy games, we will not take 2 or 3 for 1s, we will not take H-R-N that basically gives you a 2 for 1. Let them fill their schedules with true low majors so that you end up with tons of situations like Nebraska last year.
                So our Typical Schedule would be-
                3 or 4 MTE games
                1 or 2 low major home buy games
                3 Scheduling Alliance Home
                3 Scheduling Alliance Road
                14 League Games (Scheduled based on past performance and expectations)
                3 Home Pool
                3 Away Pool

Valley Tournament
                What if the "low major" programs banded together in a similar arrangement (no longer accepting buy games, only true H-H)?

Comment

Honestly I'm fine with buy games at Iowa and Iowa state as long as they are close to market rate for a solid mid-major traveling to a power 5. I would try hard to play both every year you can. There's no team UNI can realistically schedule that gets national attention (or even statewide attention). As much hate as I have for Iowa/Iowa state playing them is huge for UNI. It's statewide attention and more often than not a better opponent than we can otherwise schedule.

Better TV options at Carver or Hilton than the dumb 4 classic.

"I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

What if the "low major" programs banded together in a similar arrangement (no longer accepting buy games, only true H-H)?
                    I know you're doing this to be an ******* but they can't do that because those athletic departments are pretty much dependent on those guarantees to stay DI. If they decided to commit DI suicide, Wartburg come on down.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                      I disagree. It's saying we should be grateful a team like Iowa State is even playing them on a neutral site. We are done playing either for the immediate future. Too bad.

Luckily Jake has done a very good job scheduling. Xavier is a better program than ISU or Iowa and we got a home and home (sure things lined up to help that but it still happened) and we are supposed to "love" getting ISU on a neutral site??
                      Yes, you should love getting an equal revenue split with Iowa, ISU, and Drake for an overpriced event. That's not something that happens anywhere else.

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                      You mean from a cyclone tinted perspective.
                      No, I meant exactly what I said. From a national perpective, a mid major team getting a guaranteed game against an instate rival on a neutral court is incredibly rare, and it was a great deal for UNI and Drake, especially financially, which isn't debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                        Honestly I'm fine with buy games at Iowa and Iowa state as long as they are close to market rate for a solid mid-major traveling to a power 5. I would try hard to play both every year you can. There's no team UNI can realistically schedule that gets national attention (or even statewide attention). As much hate as I have for Iowa/Iowa state playing them is huge for UNI. It's statewide attention and more often than not a better opponent than we can otherwise schedule.

Better TV options at Carver or Hilton than the dumb 4 classic.
                        We’ve proven to be able to get buy games when needed. I’d rather play somewhere else unless they are paying more.

Comment

2--The Valley, A10, Mountain West, WCC, CAA, CUSA, MAC and Sun Belt need to get together and flat tell P6s that they aren't playing them anymore other than in MTEs or true H-H. We will not take buy games, we will not take 2 or 3 for 1s, we will not take H-R-N that basically gives you a 2 for 1. Let them fill their schedules with true low majors so that you end up with tons of situations like Nebraska last year.
                          Honestly that's what Iowa is going to be doing from now on. Think about it:

They've got 20 league games
                          Big 10/ACC
                          Gavitt Games
                          Preseason tourney
                          ISU

That's 27 games right there. They are absolutely going to schedule 4 buy games. I honestly can't even blame them really. Unless the Big 10 is bad like it was last year, the SOS won't be a problem at all.

Despite everything I've said in this thread, I would like to see ISU and UNI continue to compete. Most fans can skip the first two months of the season and miss almost nothing in CBB. That's a problem. I don't even agree with Pollard's "Hilton or Nothing" stance.

Comment

The Gavitt games aren’t every year. That’s a scheduling fallacy that Barta wants people to believe.
                            GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

I know you're doing this to be an ******* but they can't do that because those athletic departments are pretty much dependent on those guarantees to stay DI. If they decided to commit DI suicide, Wartburg come on down.
                              This.

SWAC teams literally played every single OOC game in the road all over the country.
                              GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post

Why the heck keep Drake involved? They bring nothing.
                                Meh. I hate Drake as much as anyone but from a scheduling alliance, they bring the history with Iowa State that could keep them interested in the event. The bring the same with Creighton if that road was traveled. For programs like SDSU or other better midmajirs they being a chance to beat MVC teams.
                                GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X