WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PTL & Big Four Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

We’ve proven to be able to get buy games when needed. I’d rather play somewhere else unless they are paying more.
    Any team we can buy nobody shows up for and nobody in the state cares. Games at Iowa and ISU will be full and immensely more exposure.
    "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Meh. I hate Drake as much as anyone but from a scheduling alliance, they bring the history with Iowa State that could keep them interested in the event. The bring the same with Creighton if that road was traveled. For programs like SDSU or other better midmajirs they being a chance to beat MVC teams.
      maybe I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if any fans or anyone connected with ISU care about their history with Drake.
      "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post

Why the heck keep Drake involved? They bring nothing.
        Lol, if we turn around and dump Drake, we are doing the exact same thing we are complaining about Iowa and Iowa State doing. Having a second local team makes it an event. Without them, it is just a one-off game. And for that to work it would need to be someone worth seeing.

I think if we are really talking about an event in DSM with us and Drake, SDSU and USD are the best realistic options. And we would probably have to play in Sioux Falls every once in awhile to get them to do it. But I do think that is an event that would draw some interest. Not as much as Iowa and Iowa State fans get, but USD and SDSU fans would travel for that game on a Saturday. And in SF, they would pack the place (which we would benefit from a revenue sharing perspective like we did with the Big 4).

When the arena first opened, I believe, UNI and Drake hosted a doubleheader against two random teams. It would almost have to be that, I think, for this to continue to be an annual thing in Des Moines every year. I don't know how much that is worth it for us though versus a home game. Depends how much we value giving the folks in Des Moines an opportunity to see UNI (which they already have every year with the Drake game).

You could, possibly, get a high major to do a home-home where our "home" game was in Des Moines. If the chips fall the right way. Someone that has an alum base in DSM like Creighton, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, etc. But I don't see that as an annual thing.

Gonna have to get creative or just not do it. I doubt an obvious answer will present itself, nor will an option that is as good as what we had. We are rowing up the creek against the current without a paddle when it comes to making a schedule that sets us up for a bid. With our limited scheduling options, we should do our best to get creative if the opportunity is there. Unfortunately, we are playing a game of cards in which the P6 schools get to see our hand, but we don't get to see theirs. Until something is put in place to incentivize the P6s to schedule differently, which I don't see happening, it is only going to get worse.

Honestly (and I know this is far-fetched and probably short-sighted but) the more they stack the deck the more I love the idea of FCS basketball. Let them have their tournament where 75% of the P5 makes it and gets a participation medal like FBS football, and we can do our own thing with a level playing field.

Comment

Any team we can buy nobody shows up for and nobody in the state cares. Games at Iowa and ISU will be full and immensely more exposure.
          Sorry I meant games where we are the team getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I know you're doing this to be an ******* but they can't do that because those athletic departments are pretty much dependent on those guarantees to stay DI. If they decided to commit DI suicide, Wartburg come on down.
            It would work but the small school “union” would need to all stick together and not budge. They all get home and homes or the all refuse to play any.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
              The Gavitt games aren’t every year. That’s a scheduling fallacy that Barta wants people to believe.
              Even without it, you're talking about 26 games. That gives Iowa only 5 games they can actually schedule. That means they are playing 24 games against P5 teams at minimum even before the conference tournament. In many P5 leagues, winning 50% of your conference games gets you in. If they only win 50% of games against P5 opponents they are going to be sitting at 12 wins right there.

IMO that's a disadvantage for a program.

Comment

maybe I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if any fans or anyone connected with ISU care about their history with Drake.
                You're not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                  It would work but the small school “union” would need to all stick together and not budge. They all get home and homes or the all refuse to play any.
                  I think there is a 0% chance of this happening anyway, but if it did, scheduling all low majors would level the P5's. Everybody's SOS would drop at roughly the same rate.

Comment

Originally posted by BryceC View Post

Even without it, you're talking about 26 games. That gives Iowa only 5 games they can actually schedule. That means they are playing 24 games against P5 teams at minimum even before the conference tournament. In many P5 leagues, winning 50% of your conference games gets you in. If they only win 50% of games against P5 opponents they are going to be sitting at 12 wins right there.

IMO that's a disadvantage for a program.
                    Simple solution to your problem above would be that no team with a .500 or worse conference record is eligible for an at-large bid. Also if you are a P5 school and your non-conference SOS is outside the top-200 and conference record is below .500, you're out. If they win their conference tournament they can get in, but like most on here, I'm sick of seeing teams finish 8-10 in their conference like Syracuse and getting an at-large because they play in the ACC or B1G.

The selection committee has determined that the non-conference slate losses only matters for mid-majors. If they have good wins in the non-conference they might get credit for them. If they have any losses to non-P5 teams they are deemed bad losses. On the other hand, if a P5 team loses in the non-conference to a mid-major or small school it isn't too big of a deal because the committee will talk about what a great conference schedule they played and how they beat a top-25 conference opponent in a home game. If a P-5 beats another P-5 in the non-con it is considered a good win come March.

It's time for Elgin and some of the other mid-major conference commissioners to get together and fight back. This may result in all the good mid-majors schools beating up on each other and hurting overall at-large chances, but it's more appealing than sitting back and taking a stick in the eye year after year.

Comment

Sorry I meant games where we are the team getting paid.
                      I still doubt there are any teams out there we could go play that will get more attention that Iowa/ISU.

You don't get much higher caliber than at UNC and even those games didn't have any more attention around Iowa than if we were playing at Iowa. Hell of a lot better chance of us winning at Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post

Lol, if we turn around and dump Drake, we are doing the exact same thing we are complaining about Iowa and Iowa State doing. Having a second local team makes it an event. Without them, it is just a one-off game. And for that to work it would need to be someone worth seeing.

I think if we are really talking about an event in DSM with us and Drake, SDSU and USD are the best realistic options. And we would probably have to play in Sioux Falls every once in awhile to get them to do it. But I do think that is an event that would draw some interest. Not as much as Iowa and Iowa State fans get, but USD and SDSU fans would travel for that game on a Saturday. And in SF, they would pack the place (which we would benefit from a revenue sharing perspective like we did with the Big 4).

When the arena first opened, I believe, UNI and Drake hosted a doubleheader against two random teams. It would almost have to be that, I think, for this to continue to be an annual thing in Des Moines every year. I don't know how much that is worth it for us though versus a home game. Depends how much we value giving the folks in Des Moines an opportunity to see UNI (which they already have every year with the Drake game).

You could, possibly, get a high major to do a home-home where our "home" game was in Des Moines. If the chips fall the right way. Someone that has an alum base in DSM like Creighton, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, etc. But I don't see that as an annual thing.

Gonna have to get creative or just not do it. I doubt an obvious answer will present itself, nor will an option that is as good as what we had. We are rowing up the creek against the current without a paddle when it comes to making a schedule that sets us up for a bid. With our limited scheduling options, we should do our best to get creative if the opportunity is there. Unfortunately, we are playing a game of cards in which the P6 schools get to see our hand, but we don't get to see theirs. Until something is put in place to incentivize the P6s to schedule differently, which I don't see happening, it is only going to get worse.

Honestly (and I know this is far-fetched and probably short-sighted but) the more they stack the deck the more I love the idea of FCS basketball. Let them have their tournament where 75% of the P5 makes it and gets a participation medal like FBS football, and we can do our own thing with a level playing field.
                        It's not the same thing. The difference between UNI and Drake is immeasurably greater than the difference from UNI to Iowa/ISU. Drake is not a state school and has almost no fan base.

If any power 5 team has a reason to play in Des Moines it's Iowa and Iowa State. Why in the heck would we think another team would want to do that?

Comment

Pollard said the door isn't closed to playing UNI or Drake, as long as it is in Hilton. Hopefully Mr. Harris and Mr. Jacobson have already reached out for an annual trip to Ames. Call their bluff! I want to see UNI at ISU every season; even if it's in Hilton. https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...son/705246002/

Comment

Originally posted by panther1 View Post
                            Pollard said the door isn't closed to playing UNI or Drake, as long as it is in Hilton. Hopefully Mr. Harris and Mr. Jacobson have already reached out for an annual trip to Ames. Call their bluff! I want to see UNI at ISU every season; even if it's in Hilton. https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...son/705246002/
                            If its purely a buy game. No thanks. I'm more interested in that being a team like Syracuse, New Mexico, Xavier etc (Games we have proven to be able to get when needed). If ISU wants to pay us more than them fine but I doubt they will.

Comment

If its purely a buy game. No thanks. I'm more interested in that being a team like Syracuse, New Mexico, Xavier etc (Games we have proven to be able to get when needed). If ISU wants to pay us more than them fine but I doubt they will.
                              UNI fans will travel to Ames. We can and have won in Ames. It keeps us on a level playing field in the eyes of statewide fans and media. Travel is an easy bus ride rather than a plane and hotels. Recruits in-state will recognize the UNI brand much more from an annual game in Hilton than going to the east coast.There is literally zero reason we do not attempt to schedule games in Ames every chance possible.

Sure, a home and home would be great. It isn't going to happen. Being a realist, playing ISU in Hilton is a win all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by panther1 View Post

UNI fans will travel to Ames. We can and have won in Ames. It keeps us on a level playing field in the eyes of statewide fans and media. Travel is an easy bus ride rather than a plane and hotels. Recruits in-state will recognize the UNI brand much more from an annual game in Hilton than going to the east coast.There is literally zero reason we do not attempt to schedule games in Ames every chance possible.

Sure, a home and home would be great. It isn't going to happen. Being a realist, playing ISU in Hilton is a win all the way around.
                                A game that wont even be on TV for most the state due to embarrassing Big 12/ISU tv does little to help the "brand".

Very little chance we take that game.

Comment

Working...
                                X