WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PTL & Big Four Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BryceC View Post

Kinda feasted on his old boss when ISU was maybe the worst P5 team in the nation.
    I know the Mac era wasn't a high point for Iowa State basketball but they weren't even close to the worst P5 in the country. They were easily better than Northwestern, Oregon State, Washington State, Penn State, Nebraska, Texas Tech and a lot of the SEC at the time. If you throw in the old Big East and call it the P6 at that time there's another at least half dozen schools they were better than. Hell, he only finished last in the Big 12 once, .

FWIW, 3-1 against Mac, 2-1 against the Mayor and 1-1 against Prohm. Overall record 6-3. My bad on the typo.
    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
      Some UNI fans seem to have very fond memories of beating the Hoks in the Dome. I'll side with them and hope (the kind of unrealistic hope that fans sometimes have) that UNI could have a chance to do the same with the Cyclones. Keep hope alive!
      I have fond memories of that game 29 years ago, but I still don't want to go back to the Dome to play a game ever again. Nostalgia is great, and I have fond memories of those days. But that's where they belong - as memories. I also have unfortunate memories - of a leaky roof on the game court during a basketball game - of someone accidentally turning the lights off right before tip off and it taking near an hour for the Dome lights to turn back on - etc. It's not a place to play a basketball, and we have absolutely no reason to return to it. For those of us that were around when the McLeod Center was just a dream, seeing it actually become reality - and be as beautiful an arena as it is - is something I don't think we'll take for granted. I have no desire to go back.
      "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

If it's just not an event, why does anybody even care about them ending the series then?
        We don’t. Read this thread. Read the majority of social media posts. We hated this thing from the start.

The reason this thread is still a thing is a Cylcone fan, pretending to be a UNI fans, using the dome as a way to keep the series with UNI and Iowa State going while using a 3 decade old win over Iowa as the reason for it.

Both of your programs can disappear for all the vast majority of UNI fans care.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          FWIW, 3-1 against Mac, 2-1 against the Mayor and 1-1 against Prohm. Overall record 6-3. My bad on the typo.
          And one of the losses was OT, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post
            And one of the losses was OT, right?
            2 of them. The one to Mac and the one to the Mayor.
            #MACtion

Comment

If it's just not an event, why does anybody even care about them ending the series then?
              I didn't say UNI vs ISU was not an event. It's a good in-state rivalry between peer programs.

It is not...however...an event that would remotely justify us moving a game from our home basketball arena (which has hosted far better programs than Iowa State) to our home football stadium.

We play hoops in the McLeod. We play football in the Dome.

That is all.
              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• The quality of program doesn’t really dictate how many fans will show up. A game in the dome vs UNC would probably have less fans than a game vs ISU in the dome. UNC is far and away a better program than ISU, but ISU has thousands of more fans within 1-2 hrs of CF. Its the same reason a football game vs UNI at Jack Trice sells more tickets than a game vs Texas. In fact, moving the game to the dome might only attract a couple more thousand fans because most people would rather watch it on TV than sit 200 feet away from the court and watch ants shoot a gumball into a thimble.

That being said, no way would or should UNI ever play basketball in the dome again. I went to an ISU vs UNI game there and the sight lines were horrible. Just like the Final Fours in football stadiums. There are maybe a couple thousand good seats and the rest are garbage. Basketball shouldn’t be played in football stadiums. Heck, I don’t even like watching basketball games played in the same place as hockey (ie WFA or United Center). Unless you are sitting between the baselines, your seat sucks.

Comment

• Didn't I see once that Niang was at the UNI vs UNC game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                    Didn't I see once that Niang was at the UNI vs UNC game?
                    Yeah, he got tickets from UNC's Brice Johnson. I guess they are/were friends.

Comment

• Glad he had a good seat for that one.

Comment

• Iowa State and Iowa are both too chicken**** to play UNI.
                        yeah, it sucks, but not worth groveling to them or bending over backwards to schedule them.

Comment

• Beat them in Des Moines, and get the crowd chanting chicken Fran.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I know the Mac era wasn't a high point for Iowa State basketball but they weren't even close to the worst P5 in the country. They were easily better than Northwestern, Oregon State, Washington State, Penn State, Nebraska, Texas Tech and a lot of the SEC at the time. If you throw in the old Big East and call it the P6 at that time there's another at least half dozen schools they were better than. Hell, he only finished last in the Big 12 once, .

ISU is the only P5 team to not make any postseason tourney from 2006-2011. They may not have been the worst, but they were consistently awful and McD did a phenomenal job if he was trying to crater the program. And that's with multiple NBA players on the team during most of that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

I have fond memories of that game 29 years ago, but I still don't want to go back to the Dome to play a game ever again. Nostalgia is great, and I have fond memories of those days. But that's where they belong - as memories. I also have unfortunate memories - of a leaky roof on the game court during a basketball game - of someone accidentally turning the lights off right before tip off and it taking near an hour for the Dome lights to turn back on - etc. It's not a place to play a basketball, and we have absolutely no reason to return to it. For those of us that were around when the McLeod Center was just a dream, seeing it actually become reality - and be as beautiful an arena as it is - is something I don't think we'll take for granted. I have no desire to go back.

Alright. I can take a broken dream from BAP!

So, I will shift the remnants of my dream to the possibility of a game in McLeod. And if it happens, although I will be happy with the outcome no matter what, I pledge to wear purple!

P.S. I was at the last UNI/ISU game in Hilton (won by UNI ). I wasn't sold on Hoiberg and that game didn't help as I found myself being critical of his "roll out the ball and let them shoot" style (as I then viewed it). However, I was very impressed by the good ball movement by the Panthers ("Can't anybody see the back-door cut coming!"). That was an early part of my emerging Panther fandom.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

The going rate for programs like UNI is double what Iowa and Iowa state pay the rest of their schedule. That’s not UNI asking for out of line money. It’s UNI asking going rate for that level program.
                                That makes sense but I read the other comments as indicating UNI should command 2-3x the going rate for a school like UNI.
                                "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Working...
                                X