WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colin McDonough position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin McDonough position

Has anyone heard if there has been any candidates for this position? I don’t understand why the program can’t find a student to do an internship to cover the development of the program during the off-season and thru the season. I assume it’s because there is no money for this position but you would think someone would do it for the experience. We rarely see any social media from @unimbb, Instagram or Facebook during the off-season like other D1 programs including the MVC which most of these teams keep the fans excited and involved with their team. Sometimes a UNi coach will send out a pic but very rarely. With recruiting being so difficult I do think social media helps promote the UNI name and we need every little extra boost to help with ticket sales and recruiting. There needs to be more excitement.

Originally posted by PanthersMBB View Post
    Has anyone heard if there has been any candidates for this position? I don’t understand why the program can’t find a student to do an internship to cover the development of the program during the off-season and thru the season. I assume it’s because there is no money for this position but you would think someone would do it for the experience. We rarely see any social media from @unimbb, Instagram or Facebook during the off-season like other D1 programs including the MVC which most of these teams keep the fans excited and involved with their team. Sometimes a UNi coach will send out a pic but very rarely. With recruiting being so difficult I do think social media helps promote the UNI name and we need every little extra boost to help with ticket sales and recruiting. There needs to be more excitement.
    A couple of things. And since my mom was the SID for 30 years, and I spent four years as a student working in the department, I feel like I can speak with some knowledge here.

First of all, Colin is not really the social media person. There's a separate position within media relations department that handles all of that stuff - videos, social media, etc.She is currently on her much deserved vacation - there's only one of her so her hours throughout the school year are insane.

Secondly, the department does rely on students and internships on a regular basis but it's a huge job. I covered the track program during my junior year, and I was putting in 40+ hours a week during the second semester on top of a full class load. I know times are changing, but the summer months is a time when people within the athletic department try to take some time to rest, vacation and be with family. It's their only time to do so. My mom could never take time off during the year so she typically tried to take most of July off -- although, that rarely worked out entirely either. And yes - because of budgets, it's not in the cards to hire multiple full time people.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

There are a few candidates they are looking at. Have not heard if interviews have started yet or not. I know that is not to much info but that is all I know at this point.

Comment

Any news on this? I have not heard anything. I am guessing since they have hired a marketing and promotions guy now they can focus on this one.

Comment

Appears UNI has a new SID? NAIA SID? I would think UNI would have applicants from other d1 even d2 or d3 SIDs. Wonder why they went NAIA?

Comment

Originally posted by rhoho View Post
            Appears UNI has a new SID? NAIA SID? I would think UNI would have applicants from other d1 even d2 or d3 SIDs. Wonder why they went NAIA?

http://406mtsports.com/college/front...ign=user-share
            Maybe his price was right???

Comment

I am sure that was part of it. I am not saying he wont be good but it just sucks we have to decline higher level applicants for positions because of our hurting budget.

Comment

I am sure that was part of it. I am not saying he wont be good but it just sucks we have to decline higher level applicants for positions because of our hurting budget.
                Let’s not get carried away. It’s an sid job. NAIA vs D3 isn’t much difference. Heck NAIA schools can give athletic scholarships while D3 cannot.

Comment

You missed my point I think. My point is UNI went down 3 levels on hiring someone. Why can they not get someone that is d1 or even d2 to fill the position. Someone that has worked with NCAA and bigger budget teams?

Comment

Because our marketing and SI departments aren’t given a budget. We need someone experienced in doing things with negative money given to them.

Comment

You missed my point I think. My point is UNI went down 3 levels on hiring someone. Why can they not get someone that is d1 or even d2 to fill the position. Someone that has worked with NCAA and bigger budget teams?
                      It’s a job not a head coach position. I find it perfectly reasonable that a NAIA guy was the most qualified applicant. If we hired their basketball coach. Yes that would be an issue

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

It’s a job not a head coach position. I find it perfectly reasonable that a NAIA guy was the most qualified applicant. If we hired their basketball coach. Yes that would be an issue
                        Exactly. UNI doesnt put out a bid out to hire someone. People apply for the job and UNI chooses from that pool the one they like the best or is the most qualified.
                        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Where did Colin land?

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                            Where did Colin land?
                            Northwest Missouri State

Comment

Wait, he was at a D1 school, why would he move to D2? I'd think he would only move to a P5 conference school or at least FBS.
                              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Working...
                              X