WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuttle back coaching at UNI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I'm a little disappointed, mostly for Seth, that his pro career wasn't more successful. I thought he would do okay in Europe.
    GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
      Personally I'm a little disappointed, mostly for Seth, that his pro career wasn't more successful. I thought he would do okay in Europe.
      did he come back because his euro-pro career was unsuccessful, or did he come back because he prefers living in the US or wants to get a start on pursuing a coaching career?

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
        did he come back because his euro-pro career was unsuccessful, or did he come back because he prefers living in the US or wants to get a start on pursuing a coaching career?
        From my understanding, I think it's the latter. He had opportunities to play over there this year, but knew ultimately he wanted to get into coaching. When Jake Koch's spot opened up UNI offered it to him. It has to be quite a grind playing on the opposite side of the country, away from friends and family. He did win the MVP of the month in the league this past January.
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

I'd heard that he was pretty miserable living overseas. That life just isn't for everybody. He was also in a league that capped rosters at 3 non-Europeans which can make it even more isolating.

He's a kid that's willing to grind and I expect him to have a successful coaching career whether he chooses High School or College.
          #MACtion

Comment

He missed home, from what I can gather. He also has a very serious girlfriend here, (one of the Deery daughters), and I'm sure the constant long distance wasn't fun.
            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

I think he's a great addition. Can't hurt to have a former All-American in on a recruiting pitch to a high school kid. Should be great help with all the post players coming in next year as well. Not a bad practice player either. Great role model for the community.

Great deal on his jersey right now. If anyone needs an early X-mas gift.

https://www.fanatics.com/college/nor...z-9-2302352542

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                I'd heard that he was pretty miserable living overseas. That life just isn't for everybody. He was also in a league that capped rosters at 3 non-Europeans which can make it even more isolating.

He's a kid that's willing to grind and I expect him to have a successful coaching career whether he chooses High School or College.
                He wasn’t pretty open about that before going back last year - which he did late and wasn’t 100% sure he wanted too. He was also pretty open that he thought it would be his last year. He’d have a contract if he wanted in most any league over there.

There were video profiles done in him (I think by PST) where he openly admitted that it wasn’t exactly the life he wanted. The culture change, difference in American to Euro Ball, the way the coaches acted compared to Jake, etc. To be 22 and living in Germany with only 2 other Americans regularly available (and assuming they were 2 you “get along with”),trying to learn the language (which is a difficult one to learn) and adapt to the culture with no family, no girlfriend with him, no ease of regular conversation (7 hour difference in time) is extremely tough for anyone. For a person who is as tight with family, including the extended UNI family, that kind of change is miserable, no matter the money being made.

had the GA position been open last year he’d have taken it then and not gone back. It was open this year so he took it.

GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

On coaches profiles they often say, "played professionally". It doesn't detail where or for how long. So, I'd say he built up his resume quite nicely and is now writing a new chapter in his career. I think he'll do great.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
                    I think he's a great addition. Can't hurt to have a former All-American in on a recruiting pitch to a high school kid. Should be great help with all the post players coming in next year as well. Not a bad practice player either. Great role model for the community.

Great deal on his jersey right now. If anyone needs an early X-mas gift.

https://www.fanatics.com/college/nor...z-9-2302352542
                    Thanks! I'll pick one up right now!

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                      He wasn’t pretty open about that before going back last year - which he did late and wasn’t 100% sure he wanted too. He was also pretty open that he thought it would be his last year. He’d have a contract if he wanted in most any league over there.

There were video profiles done in him (I think by PST) where he openly admitted that it wasn’t exactly the life he wanted. The culture change, difference in American to Euro Ball, the way the coaches acted compared to Jake, etc. To be 22 and living in Germany with only 2 other Americans regularly available (and assuming they were 2 you “get along with”),trying to learn the language (which is a difficult one to learn) and adapt to the culture with no family, no girlfriend with him, no ease of regular conversation (7 hour difference in time) is extremely tough for anyone. For a person who is as tight with family, including the extended UNI family, that kind of change is miserable, no matter the money being made.
                      It's his life and he's free to do whatever makes him happy, but most of those are pretty lame excuses, so I hope that wasn't his thinking. Most people would jump at the chance to live and work in Europe. Experiencing other cultures, better in many aspects, is a rewarding experience. There are no doubt tens of thousands of American citizens living in Germany. Everyone under 40 speaks English. If he was miserable for any of those reasons, then he lacks maturity, and probably didn't give it a fair chance. Now if it was all about the girlfriend, well then, I guess that's different, but he could have easily afforded to bring her over with the money he was making, which I assume was $400K+. It will be a long time, and likely never, before he will make that kind of money coaching. It's always justified on here that if a coach can make more money, even when he's already making a lot, that he will and should make a move, and "happiness" doesn't enter into it. I hope he doesn't look back some day and regret this decision is all I'm saying. Maybe he made and set aside enough that he thinks he's set for life. A person right out of college doesn't have any idea how much that takes.

GO PANTHERS!

Comment

I'm sure he's totally losing sleep at night because a random anonymous internet person doesn't like his life choices.

Comment

It's his life and he's free to do whatever makes him happy, but most of those are pretty lame excuses, so I hope that wasn't his thinking. Most people would jump at the chance to live and work in Europe. Experiencing other cultures, better in many aspects, is a rewarding experience. There are no doubt tens of thousands of American citizens living in Germany. Everyone under 40 speaks English. If he was miserable for any of those reasons, then he lacks maturity, and probably didn't give it a fair chance. Now if it was all about the girlfriend, well then, I guess that's different, but he could have easily afforded to bring her over with the money he was making, which I assume was $400K+. It will be a long time, and likely never, before he will make that kind of money coaching. It's always justified on here that if a coach can make more money, even when he's already making a lot, that he will and should make a move, and "happiness" doesn't enter into it. I hope he doesn't look back some day and regret this decision is all I'm saying. Maybe he made and set aside enough that he thinks he's set for life. A person right out of college doesn't have any idea how much that takes.
                          I think a lot of folks have an exaggerated idea of the kind of money most the U.S. guys make playing ball in Europe. Your number is high.

Tut got a great life experience and played really well over there. He's ready for the next thing. Not sure why anyone would question that.
                          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

I think a lot of folks have an exaggerated idea of the kind of money most the U.S. guys make playing ball in Europe. Your number is high.
                            I doubt you have any more idea what he made then I do. There are a lot of different leagues and levels around the world and I don't know what level he was at, but my number is actually low for what an all American could typically make. I think someone said he was league mvp as well? That wouldn't hurt his pay any.

And I didn't question his choice, just hoped he doesn't live to regret it. He was making more than 99% of people ever will doing something 99.99% of people would kill to be able to do for a living. To give that up because he was homesick at age 26 could very well prove regrettable. Opportunities like that just don't come along every day.
                            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

I'm in my mid-30's and still live in the same town as my parents - by choice. So does my husband who is older than me. We are VERY close to our families and I couldn't imagine living that far from them. To each his own... we all get to make our life choices based on what makes us happy. Maturity has nothing to do with it. He's not a young puppy anymore.
                              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Pay in Europe is what you think it is. The highest paid players - highest - are maybe 4 million. A list I found had the 10th highest paid player in European ball at 1.7m. There’s thousands of players. If the 10th player is “down” to 1.7 then Americans just entering the leagues aren’t making near that. Americans also typically earn less at the start as they arent raised to play the European style.

From someone that played lates in Europe and is now in the business world

The Top

In Euro league: the best 30 players make somewhere between 1 and 3 million USD per year

In the top national leagues such as the ACB, VTB, ESAKE, BSL etc. some players will make between 5–10k a month

On top of this: house, car, food, and sometimes even taxes is paid for the players

The Middle

As you move down the ranks, payment gets a lot muddier. You have players in lower leagues getting paid more than players in higher leagues because they are popular and can draw a crowd. Veterans command more money than rookies and bigs often command more than guards. Then you have to consider each players value if they are considered an import or a local.

It is all very confusing, but between 1k and 3k a month is pretty good in the mid level leagues, any more you are doing really well.

The Bottom

At the lower levels the contracts get much more creative as well.

Often players that are just getting their start will take a contract from 0–300ish a month just to build their resume and hope they can move up. These contracts often include food, travel, and a place to live. Sometimes the teams will set the players up other jobs in order to make some extra money.

So, Tut was a young guy in a good, not elite, team and league. He didn’t have a major draw to get extra pay. He made good money playing the game he loves - but chances are it wasn’t near what you think it is. In Europe there are also tons of stories about players not getting paid on time - if at all. Players only getting paid if they win. If they are injured they don’t get paid. Teams not offering translators.

Yes - high end players in elite leagues make real good money. BIG name players make more no matter what level they play.

Numerous readings and sources would put the average salary for the average American in an average league on an average team well under your 400k guess. Better than the D League - which was 25k until it went to 65k in the last year or two. Which is why so many went to Europe. As the d league becomes more viable - and other streams of playing pro in America open up, se I’ll see less players going to Europe.
                                GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X