WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuttle back coaching at UNI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

I'm in my mid-30's and still live in the same town as my parents - by choice. So does my husband who is older than me. We are VERY close to our families and I couldn't imagine living that far from them. To each his own... we all get to make our life choices based on what makes us happy. Maturity has nothing to do with it. He's not a young puppy anymore.
    I’m 6 hours from my family. My wife an hour and a half. We are both early 30s. We’ve had our chances to move all over America (Louisville, Kansas City, St Louis, Provo, Fargo, Frisch, Denver, northern Wisconsin) and had a path that would have led us to England we’ve not taken them due to staying close to family. We didn’t want to be that far away. We have no regrets. There will be a time that’s right for us to move. Not wanting to be halfway around the world from you family isn’t a sign of any weakness.

It was well well known how close Seth is to his family, friends, and girlfriend. I would bet his imagines European salary he won’t regret living halfway around the world and being miserable doing so for getting a free masters degree while coaching at his alma mater and being an hour from his family.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

So, Tut was a young guy in a good, not elite, team and league. He didn’t have a major draw to get extra pay. He made good money playing the game he loves - but chances are it wasn’t near what you think it is. In Europe there are also tons of stories about players not getting paid on time - if at all. Players only getting paid if they win. If they are injured they don’t get paid. Teams not offering translators.

Yes - high end players in elite leagues make real good money. BIG name players make more no matter what level they play.

Numerous readings and sources would put the average salary for the average American in an average league on an average team well under your 400k guess. Better than the D League - which was 25k until it went to 65k in the last year or two. Which is why so many went to Europe. As the d league becomes more viable - and other streams of playing pro in America open up, se I’ll see less players going to Europe.
      So now Seth was just an average player? He was an All American and Wooden award finalist, and in Europe apparently league MVP. I don't have any idea what he made, but I'm pretty sure when he signed the experts were speculating it was for north of $300K. If he was making less than $50K as you seem to think, that changes the story considerably. If that's all he was making then 1) he was never going to get a shot at bigger things professionally and 2) yes he may as well come home and get on with his life especially if he isn't happy for some reason.

I'm being cast as the bad guy again in this discussion for not going along with the group think, which is what usually happens on here. I can guarantee I wish ST all the happiness in the world, more so than most, and before he even got to UNI, because he is from my home town and it's not a very big town.
      Last edited by GonzoCat; 09-18-2018, 03:18 PM.
      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

yes, going along with the groupthink of him being able to make his own decisions about his own life, as opposed to dictating what you think he should do based on speculation. But hey, you're from the same hometown as him, so obviously you know best.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

So now Seth was just an average player? He was an All American and Wooden award finalist, and in Europe apparently league MVP. I don't have any idea what he made, but I'm pretty sure when he signed the experts were speculating it was for north of $300K. If he was making less than $50K as you seem to think, that changes the story considerably. If that's all he was making then 1) he was never going to get a shot at bigger things professionally and 2) yes he may as well come home and get on with his life especially if he isn't happy for some reason.

I'm being cast as the bad guy again in this discussion for not going along with the group think, which is what usually happens on here. I can guarantee I wish ST all the happiness in the world, more so than most, and before he even got to UNI, because he is from my home town and it's not a very big town.
          You're being cast as the bad guy again because 9 times out of 10 you act like a ginormous tool on here.

Comment

Lets look at this a couple ways.

Let's pretend he was making 400k per year.

He spent 3 years in Europe. He made 1.2 million. While that might not be enough for him to live the rest of his life on he's 25 years old, has 1.2 million in his bank, zero student loan debt, will get a free masters degree while getting his foot in the door coaching at the school he loves, where he is loved, for the coaching staff that has a level of relationship almost never seen.

Will he make 400k coaching? Probably not. However, he will enter the coaching world at 27 with 1.2m already pocketed - more by that point because he'll have guys for that. He gets into the coaching world and is making 100-150 a year...with no debt...and over a million already earned at 27?

That's not a bad life for him to build on.

There also aren't a lot of guys coaching in college who spent a decade playing professional over seas, come back in with no coaching experience and then just hope on a staff and start their coaching career at 35. That's not really how the college coaching world works. Pro ball? Sure. Play a decade in the league, retire, hop on a staff as an entry level assistant and work up. That's not how the college game works for coaching.

Seth's career dream? Turns out it wasn't playing professional basketball. How do I know that?

https://globegazette.com/sports/loca...d28d17535.html

With the help of his former football coach at West Fork Eric Burt, that dream became a reality last year. And to him, helping kids chase their own dreams is what it’s all about.

“The relationship I have with these kids is very important to me,” Tuttle said. “This is also the reason I go back to the UNI camps every year. The look on the kids’ faces when former players walk in is priceless. I just remember how I felt when I was their age, and know how much it impacted my life.”

It’s more than unique for Tuttle, who dreamt of starting this long ago — but NCAA rules prohibited it while he was in college — to be hosting this caliber of a youth camp in Iowa, and in his hometown, nonetheless.

“There aren't many camps in our area anymore so it's a great chance to get the kids in the gym to learn, get better, make friends, and take all the same strides that I once did,” Tuttle said. “Just getting kids into an atmosphere like this is important. It always helped me to get out of my comfort zone, which is where we grow the most.”

The camp also serves an important function for Tuttle, who, after his playing days are done, has dreams of becoming a coach.

“I have always wanted to be a coach at the college level,”
            he said. “This could be next season or 10 years from now, I am not sure, I just know that's what I want to do.

“Running a camp like this allows me to continue to grow in teaching the game, learning how kids attain material in different ways, and building relationships.”
            and

https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...3b3c391c9.html

Once the playoffs wrap, Tuttle will return to Iowa where he’ll spend the summer trying to sharpen the skills he’ll need for his post-playing career.

An aspiring college coach, Tuttle will reunite with his collegiate coaches at the Ben Jacobson Basketball Camps on June 12-15, where he’ll serve as an instructor.

For the second straight year, he’ll also host the Seth Tuttle Basketball Camps at the West Fork Recreation Center in his hometown of Sheffield. The camp is open to grades 1-12 and runs from July 20-23.
            Those were from last summer. He was already looking at his post playing career and getting ready to coach. He wants to coach college. His dream is to coach college. He looked at steps needed, and the best path to get to that dream.

The reality is he wasn't making that kind of money. He also wasn't making 50k. He was likely between 100-200k based on what I can find. Maybe it was 400k+...maybe. Doesn't really change my opinion as I laid out above. Yes, gonzo is right that even 100-200k is significantly more than almost any other 22-25 year old. It's not life changing money. However, he still has zero student loan debt. He is marrying into a family where money will be literally the last worry. He will get a free masters degree and already have a few hundred thousand saved up. He'll get a job coaching making 100k, or more.

He could play a decade in Europe and not have life enough money to "retire" on, and then he's a decade behind getting into his dream of coaching. And he spent a decade away from his parents, siblings, extended family, his girlfriend - and the reality is that relationship (or almost any relationship) won't last a decade like that. Sure, she can go with him. So then she's also pulled away from family for a decade chasing his job around Europe. He played on 3 teams in two different countries in 3 years. Rarely do players spend more than a year or two in any place (especially Americans due to roster rules). He's had interviews both summers he was back saying he was going into July with no contract and the season starting in September. The leagues he was in (the top leagues) are playing games in "arenas" that are 1,700 people - his most recent team has a home capacity of 1,730. The way Euro ball works is last minute changed and a lot of stress on players. You can find hundreds of articles written by/about players who went over there. It's not a glamorous life 90+% of the time.

What Seth was an a college player in America doesn't really impact how he's paid in Europe. He wasn't a league MVP. He was the leagues POW 5 times. Want to know what that got him? Cut/without a contract/not renewed/fired...however you want to put it.

I trust Seth to make the best decisions for Seth. If he doesn't want to spend 8 months a year 3000 miles from his family anymore playing basketball in gyms of 1,000 people, in an area that kind of speaks English, I can't say I blame him.

You made 2 points. The first was "if that's all he's making he'd never get bigger professional goals met"...he wasn't anyway. He was playing in the top league in Germany and the top league in Belgium. Per a 2017 Fran Fraschilla ranking of European leagues those are two of the very best in Europe behind Turkey, Spain and the Super League.

Your second point was "if he's only making that much and he's unhappy then he might as well come home". So...if he's making $400,000 but miserable as **** he should stay simply because he makes money? Or do you believe that because he makes $400,000 it's not possible to be unhappy?
            Last edited by clenz; 09-18-2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

You're being cast as the bad guy again because 9 times out of 10 you act like a ginormous tool on here.
              Lol, shouldn't you be getting ready for the next clone game?
              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                yes, going along with the groupthink of him being able to make his own decisions about his own life, as opposed to dictating what you think he should do based on speculation. But hey, you're from the same hometown as him, so obviously you know best.
                You're not usually a dick on here, but you have been on this thread. You keep making up things I said. Try reading slower.
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

Lol, shouldn't you be getting ready for the next clone game?
                  Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, in support of my prior claim, I'd like to present Exhibit A...

But seriously dude, when you go on record as hating people because they are either Clone or Hawk fans, or a (gasp!) dual fan of one of those teams along with the Panthers, and even declare that Tyrese Haliburton is a bad kid because he went to ISU instead of UNI (which you absolutely did, so do not even think of denying it), don't be surprised and get all pissy when the majority of people on the board starting thinking you're an a$$hole. When multiple people start to have an issue with you, and you find that you're in the minority more and more when it comes to the arguments and discussions and you feel isolated and put upon, the issue is YOU. This is not hard to figure out or understand, unless you're a dumbass, which you might very well be.

Comment

So, anyway...glad to have you back, Seth! Will be nice to see you on the sidelines again!
                    Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                    Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                    - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, in support of my prior claim, I'd like to present Exhibit A...

But seriously dude, when you go on record as hating people because they are either Clone or Hawk fans, or a (gasp!) dual fan of one of those teams along with the Panthers, and even declare that Tyrese Haliburton is a bad kid because he went to ISU instead of UNI (which you absolutely did, so do not even think of denying it), don't be surprised and get all pissy when the majority of people on the board starting thinking you're an a$$hole. When multiple people start to have an issue with you, and you find that you're in the minority more and more when it comes to the arguments and discussions and you feel isolated and put upon, the issue is YOU. This is not hard to figure out or understand, unless you're a dumbass, which you might very well be.
                      Yeah except I don't care enough about clone and hawk fans to hate them. I'm also not one of the people who get on dual fans like you, again don't care. I just did it there because I know how sensitive you are about it and I wanted to get a little rise out of you which of course worked like a charm. And I only did that because you just insulted me which you've been doing regularly for a couple years now and I've no idea what I did to piss you off. Must have had something to do with this Tyrese Haliburton fellow, but I don't even remember who that is. No, I never said any kid was bad because he went to ISU instead of UNI. The only ISU players I've ever commented on were ones that regularly run afoul of the law or have no business academically being in college or both. I can't name a single player for ISU. I just don't care about any players that aren't at UNI. I know that's hard for you to believe.

I doubt the majority of people on this board think I'm an ahole, but it's possible I guess. The vast majority of people on this board never post anything, there must be less than 50 posters who make 99% of the posts, out of I think over 5,000 members and more guests. If I have an opinion about something that differs from the group think on here I'm not afraid to post it and if that makes me unpopular with most of the 50 regulars I don't lose any sleep over it. I've said this before, but it fits here again, we now live in a society where facts are debatable, but opinions are not. In this most recent dust up I didn't even have any difference of opinion with people, I was just thinking about Seth's welfare. Several people took what I posted and turned it around into a bunch of nonsense about trying to tell him how to live his life. Reading comprehension has been an issue on here for a long time. Let me state the obvious once again - I like Seth Tuttle a lot and wish him nothing but future success and happiness.

I personally knew and got along quite well with the people that were here when this board started. I can't think of anyone of them that are still active here. Bone makes a rare post trying to sell bball tickets, but that's about it. Some are involved in running the board, but don't really post. Hell I even remember when you liked me Chippy, back when I was making t-shirts. The active posters now are mostly coming from a completely different place in life than I do, so it very well may be time for me to move on as well. Cue all the comments about door/ass.
                      Last edited by GonzoCat; 09-19-2018, 08:44 AM.
                      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Gonzo, I don't want you to leave because you are an original and I miss all of our originals.

Everyone calm down, ease up on the personal insults... let's please get back to the point of this discussion, which is that we're lucky to have Seth Tuttle back around our program. He's a Panther at heart, understands our team/family culture... and will make a great mentor for the guys that have come after him.
                        "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

An aside, personal income tax rates are north of 50% at relatively lower income rates in Europe.

Belguim federal rate is 50% for income above +/-$44,000. Plus various local taxes. Plus us tax filings, on top of that which would likely incur little extra tax, but will incur additional compliance costs. There are some other socials benefits to the high tax rate, but still, Seth is not walking away with $1M.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...m/index_en.htm

Regardless, he tried it. Now he's trying something else. More power to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                            Gonzo, I don't want you to leave because you are an original and I miss all of our originals.

Everyone calm down, ease up on the personal insults... let's please get back to the point of this discussion, which is that we're lucky to have Seth Tuttle back around our program. He's a Panther at heart, understands our team/family culture... and will make a great mentor for the guys that have come after him.
                            Agreed. Can't we all just get along and talk some hoops? Not everybody is going to like everybody else's opinions, let's be adults here.
                            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                              An aside, personal income tax rates are north of 50% at relatively lower income rates in Europe.

Belguim federal rate is 50% for income above +/-$44,000. Plus various local taxes. Plus us tax filings, on top of that which would likely incur little extra tax, but will incur additional compliance costs. There are some other socials benefits to the high tax rate, but still, Seth is not walking away with $1M.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...m/index_en.htm

Regardless, he tried it. Now he's trying something else. More power to him.
                              Exactly. Belgium has one of the highest tax levels in Europe. Possibly the world. From work experiences with taxes, working abroad makes for a complicated tax situation. The social security benefits depending on length of employment may go to Belgium, u.s., or both. Hopefully, he has or had a great tax advisor.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Agreed. Can't we all just get along and talk some hoops? Not everybody is going to like everybody else's opinions, let's be adults here.
                                Thank you CyCarp. Well stated. Also, thank you to Born-a-panther for your positive thoughts also.

There are times that people get heated with each other on here. However, I enjoy reading everyone's opinions regardless of whether or not I agree with them. At the end of the day, each of us have the right to express our opinions and a right to disagree.

This topic got touchy for some because it went down the avenue of life choices. Everyone has different life choices. Sometimes we make good choices. Sometimes bad. No one is perfect. Hopefully, we make more good than bad. At least for me, I hope that I am making choices that make me happy because life is short. One thing that makes me happy is being a UNI fan (although I get frustrated when we lose).

I am a fan of Seth and am happy he is back to help my beloved UNI Panthers. I hope he finds a great experience with his new venture and our program has a great year.

Comment

Working...
                                X