WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 MBB Open Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PanthersMBB View Post
    So your saying it is okay to have Haldeman miss practice? All these guys play a key role in getting this team on a winning streak. We can’t have anyone missing practice but we have no one control over injuries. We will need all these guys healthy to make a run in the MVC.
    Thanks for putting words in my mouth. Phyfe is a young guy, starting his 2nd season with the team. Haldeman is starting his 4th year on campus. Haldeman also plays a position we have much more depth at. I agree everybody is valuable to the team, I just think Phyfe is a guy who would really benefit to more time in the gym and the guy that would be tougher to replace.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by PanthersMBB View Post
      So your saying it is okay to have Haldeman miss practice? All these guys play a key role in getting this team on a winning streak. We can’t have anyone missing practice but we have no control over injuries. We will need all these guys healthy to make a run in the MVC.
      This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard on this board.

Getting back to the article, I think it's pretty clear that Tuttle is going to be an "Assistant Coach," not just an "assistant to the Coach" like some of the graduate assistants of the past. I'm glad to see it, we've got a lot of bigs that will benefit from him, both on the roster and coming in next year. Also glad to hear that Pickford's injury is moving along schedule, instead of being one of those nagging things that just keeps him sidelined. Especially because it sounds like his rebounding presence will be desperately needed again this year.

As for Phyfe, "in and out of practice" to me sounds like one of those issues that results in missing some practice, but not a single minute of game time. And while yes, he needs more practice than the average player, I'd rather have him for games.

Comment

I’m really fascinated to see what Coach Jake is going to do as far as lineups, once the team is at full strength.

If it was me, I would probably only start one of Biggie/Phyfe and play 4 guards. I think Ty and Burhow would allow us to do that because they are excellent rebounders.

Something like,

Starters: AJ, Ty, Burhow, Isaiah, & Phyfe

Bench: Wyatt, Biggie, Spencer, Luke

To me, that is an incredibly long and athletic starting 5 that can match up really well, along with a really formidable bench.

Lots of different ways Jake can go with this group. Hopefully we can get everybody healthy...
        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

It's going to be really nice to be able to have some flow and spacing on offense again. Bennett was a nice player for us but just couldn't step away from the bucket and defenses collapsed at him for the past two years. Biggie and Phyfe both shoot the ball well enough that you have to step out on them.

We're going to see more traditional UNI Basketball with this group.

I think I agree with 06 that he's only going to start one of the bigs, which is different than I felt earlier this summer. Even if he goes with just one of the bigs we're still 6-4, 6-4, 6-5, 6-7, 6-10.
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
            Tuttle is going to be an "Assistant Coach," not just an "assistant to the Coach" like some of the graduate assistants of the .
            Ah, the ol' Dwight Schrute dream

Comment

Any idea of when media day is? Looks like iowa and iowa st have done theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by GoPanthers85 View Post
                Any idea of when media day is? Looks like iowa and iowa st have done theirs.
                I believe I saw somewhere (I don't recall where) that it is Wednesday.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Getting pretty excited for the season, and I'm not the only one who's got a good feeling. Bart Torvik's algorithm has UNI finishing 3rd in the conference, with an 11-7 record in the conference, and a 15% chance of making the tournament. Here's the link for the whole conference in case you're curious. http://barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=MVC

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                    Getting pretty excited for the season, and I'm not the only one who's got a good feeling. Bart Torvik's algorithm has UNI finishing 3rd in the conference, with an 11-7 record in the conference, and a 15% chance of making the tournament. Here's the link for the whole conference in case you're curious. http://barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=MVC
                    Gosh I don't know anything about this site, but if AJ only averages 3.7 points, I don't like our chances. Although maybe that just means good things about the rest of our offense.

Comment

• Yeah. That’s pretty unlikely. And Goldman isn’t on there.

so... any practice reports?

Comment

• Since AJ doesn't have any college stats, it's probably treating him as if he were an average UNI freshman. In the grand scheme of things, they're preseason analytics, they don't mean a ton. Just thought I'd post something since there hasn't been a ton of build up yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X