WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 MBB Open Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-19 MBB Open Thread

We're kind of all over the place with news and discussion in the Recruiting and Schedule threads. Here's a place to consolidate everything and let those threads be about what they're supposed to be about.
    #MACtion

Assuming Berhow is eligible, here is my early look at minutes.

Starters:

Green (30)
    Pickford (30)
    Brown (25)
    Goldman (18)
    Phyfe (20)

Bench:

Lohaus (22)
    Croft (15)
    Berhow (20)
    McDonnell (8)
    Dahl (8)
    Haldeman (5)

Justin Dahl has transformed his body. He's noticeably slimmer and there's a lot of definition in his arms and shoulders, The kid has obviously worked really hard. If he and McDonnell can give us 15 minutes a night combined, it makes the rotation work really well. We're also going to see stretches with Isaiah at the 4.

Berhow averaged 30.5 MPG last year so its not out of line to think he'll play around 20 here.

I see Haldeman as the loser minutes wise with Berhow coming in. He's a good shooter but not good enough to mask some of the other things he struggles with and we know how important length on the wing is defensively.

#MACtion

Comment

I'm getting real confident in this team, and I don't like it, because I know I'm going to get my heart ripped out.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        Assuming Berhow is eligible, here is my early look at minutes.

Starters:

Green (30)
        Pickford (30)
        Brown (25)
        Goldman (18)
        Phyfe (20)

Bench:

Lohaus (22)
        Croft (15)
        Berhow (20)
        McDonnell (8)
        Dahl (8)
        Haldeman (5)

Justin Dahl has transformed his body. He's noticeably slimmer and there's a lot of definition in his arms and shoulders, The kid has obviously worked really hard. If he and McDonnell can give us 15 minutes a night combined, it makes the rotation work really well. We're also going to see stretches with Isaiah at the 4.

Berhow averaged 30.5 MPG last year so its not out of line to think he'll play around 20 here.

I see Haldeman as the loser minutes wise with Berhow coming in. He's a good shooter but not good enough to mask some of the other things he struggles with and we know how important length on the wing is defensively.
        I would be absolutely shocked if Dahl magically improved enough to play even 8 min/game. That is a big stretch IMO.

I also think you are wrong on Spencer. He is a 4th year Jr that has played big minutes and is a proven shooter. I have a hard time believing he’ll just get tossed aside. Especially when you have an unproven 1st year juco transfer presumably eating up all his minutes.
        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

I think a lot of this season's success hinges on just how legit Biggie Goldman is. We'll improve over last year, no doubt, with AJ (and the subtraction of Sr's) but by how much depends on how good Biggie can be, IMO.

Comment

Lohaus will be a starter.

Comment

I think Wyatt plays higher minutes as well. AJ Green is going to make lots of players look really good. Teams will have to guard him with and without the ball. Opening up everyone. Last year Koch’s guy never had to leave the paint and Juwans guy sagged way off him as well. Everyone will benefit from him.

I also think AJ being taller helps Spencer. Was tough last year to have spencer and Juwan both under 6 foot out on defense. If Spencer hits threes he will play.

Excited what Biggie can bring. However, we all know that if you don’t play Jakes defense. You don’t play.

Comment

Originally posted by Schack View Post
                Lohaus will be a starter.
                Over who? Definitely not over AJ or Tywhon, probably not over Phyfe or Biggie, so it must be Brown? And Brown, I think, is far too good on defense to keep out of the game at the start/end. Wyatt will certainly be the sixth man, but I can't see him starting. Unless he becomes a great "playmaker" at some point.

Comment

I wouldn't be too surprised if Wyatt starts and Jake starts Tywhon at the 4. Biggie and Phyfe are the 2 guys that bring good size, is it better to not have them on the same rotation? I feel like Jake usually wants to let his senior contributors start, but as always, starting didn't necessarily mean he'll play more minutes than the guys on the bench. I really like the way this team stacks up, but my main concern is defending the post. I feel like a guy like Krutwig wil murder us, hopefully I'm wrong. Can't wait to get the season under way.
                  Last edited by CyCarp; 09-17-2018, 09:14 PM.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

How does anyone expect Croft to play when just arriving in August? Had to be a reason not to be here earlier especially coming from a community college. He has a lot to learn before getting playing time here..Just don’t have a good feeling with him after not coming till August. I think it is a sign.
                    Last edited by PanthersMBB; 09-18-2018, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
                      I think a lot of this season's success hinges on just how legit Biggie Goldman is. We'll improve over last year, no doubt, with AJ (and the subtraction of Sr's) but by how much depends on how good Biggie can be, IMO.
                      This is kind of where my head is at, too.
                      "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by PanthersMBB View Post
                        How does anyone expect Croft to play when just arriving in August? Had to be a reason not to be here earlier especially coming from a community college. He has a lot to learn before getting playing time here..Just don’t have a good feeling with him after not coming till August. I think it is a sign.
                        I kind of agree, we haven't had a lot with JUCO transfers since Ali. I had high hopes fire Aarias Austin a couple years ago and he didn't even make it to January. Hopefully Croft is different.
                        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Arias was contributing. He left because of his own discontentment/unmet expectations. He would have been very helpful down the stretch. Actually, I think he tweeted that himself later.

Comment

Croft was the National JUCO DII player of the year.

Jake insisted he wasn't in the market for another guard until he saw the kid play.

I think we'll find a way to use TC.
                            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

So...I hate to be "that guy", but if we have our third straight crappy season in a row, does Jake's seat start to heat up, regardless of how good our next recruiting class is?

Comment

Working...
                              X