WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 MBB Open Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That just gives coach Green and AJ a nice target to aim for

Comment

Do we think Coach Jake will put the kibosh on AJ's bow and arrow celebration routine?

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
        Do we think Coach Jake will put the kibosh on AJ's bow and arrow celebration routine?
        Not if he can back it up.
        #MACtion

Comment

God I hope not.
          UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
          iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

If he shorts 48% like that for UNI I hope Jake lets him t bag defenders on the court.

Comment

Hahahaha I agree with the comment above! We should embrace it. Heck fans start should start doing it too!

Comment

This is arguably the most important question of the offseason and I can't believe no asked on media day.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Not if he can back it up.
                  Exactly. It's time to start playing with a little attitude and emotion again.

Comment

Been a few months since I've watched AJ's HS highlights. Man. He ALWAYS has a man right on him. It's crazy how he is so good with such little space. If he can keep that up this year and down the road, it'll be huge for us. Putting AJ with some guys who can also shoot is going to be deadly. I wonder how teams will handle AJ. It'll be fun for sure. C'mon November!

Comment

Originally posted by kochrab View Post
                      Been a few months since I've watched AJ's HS highlights. Man. He ALWAYS has a man right on him. It's crazy how he is so good with such little space. If he can keep that up this year and down the road, it'll be huge for us. Putting AJ with some guys who can also shoot is going to be deadly. I wonder how teams will handle AJ. It'll be fun for sure. C'mon November!
                      How teams will handle AJ will be interesting, but more interesting to me will be how AJ handles D1 college level defenders. I’ve only seen him play live in the high school tourney, so admittedly not much. I can’t see him hitting step back threes against MVC level gaurds, many of whom will be right in his face. He’ll need to prove he can drive around them so they’ll give him a little space. I’d assume he’s shown the ability to do that against AAU competition, otherwise he wouldn’t be ranked as high as he is.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

How teams will handle AJ will be interesting, but more interesting to me will be how AJ handles D1 college level defenders. I’ve only seen him play live in the high school tourney, so admittedly not much. I can’t see him hitting step back threes against MVC level gaurds, many of whom will be right in his face. He’ll need to prove he can drive around them so they’ll give him a little space. I’d assume he’s shown the ability to do that against AAU competition, otherwise he wouldn’t be ranked as high as he is.
                        I'm not sure how workouts over the summer work, but I've heard when he first got to campus this summer he was killing everybody, just dominating offensively. Maybe it's just homerism, but based on everything I've seen and heard, I'm not too worried. He has decent height for a PG and his release is so high, a good step back is going to be almost impossible to defend imo.
                        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I'm not sure how workouts over the summer work, but I've heard when he first got to campus this summer he was killing everybody, just dominating offensively. Maybe it's just homerism, but based on everything I've seen and heard, I'm not too worried. He has decent height for a PG and his release is so high, a good step back is going to be almost impossible to defend imo.
                          Hopefully what you heard is correct. My point is he’ll be facing plenty of defenders who are close to or as tall who are WAY better athletes than anyone he saw in high school. Easy answer is defend him with a taller guard or small forward. Although it’s getting better, UNI has never been a team that presented a bunch of matchup problems, so finding someone else to guard UNI’s 2 guard probably won’t be an issue for most teams we play.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

He is ranked as highly as he is because he can both drive and consistently hit the step back. Check out his AAU tapes, exact same player and game that he used in high school ball but against guys that are 6-6 and 6-7. He's been able to play that way against better competition than he'll see night in and night out in the Valley.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

He is ranked as highly as he is because he can both drive and consistently hit the step back. Check out his AAU tapes, exact same player and game that he used in high school ball but against guys that are 6-6 and 6-7. He's been able to play that way against better competition than he'll see night in and night out in the Valley.
                              I think most people forget what you've been mentioning a lot about him being the highest recruit out of HS to UNI ever, even in the Valley in recent history. Our team and fanbase just is not custom to this so I think people are going to be skeptical of his abilities until we actually see him play. We've never had a freshman of his caliber come in so I think the expectations are limited based on the freshman of the past and the guys that haven't lived up to expectations either. It's going to be so much fun to watch this team this year. I think we're in for some pleasant surprises and some more offensive production too.

Comment

AJ is getting “mistreated” by those who hate Iowa high school basketball and don’t think that kids from Iowa make good players because they don’t play against major market teams and....well....

AJ is a top 70 recruit because he dominated the AAU scene for years. Ignore what he did at CF - which is 4A and was up against real high athletic talent, let’s not pretend he was up against Gladbroo-Reinbeck, Janesville, South Hardin, Dike-New Hartford, etc.

He played elite level competition at the AAU level and was considered a stand out at every event. Hell, last year as a high school junior he was widely considered the single best player at the PTL. Iowa writers spent more time talking about him than they did Iowa players.

if he was from Minneapolis and less “Iowa farm boy” in his looks with a father as a AHC at a D1 he’d have been a top 35 recruit with dozens of offers from P5 and most BE, AAC, MWC and every MVC early on
                                Last edited by clenz; 09-27-2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X