WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 MBB Open Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clenz View Post
    at CF - which is 4A and was up against real high athletic talent, let’s not pretend he was up against Gladbroo-Reinbeck, Janesville, South Hardin, Dike-New Hartford, etc.
    Good point. He did completely out perform some highly touted McCaffrey kid in the state championship... and in the regular season.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Good point. He did completely out perform some highly touted McCaffrey kid in the state championship... and in the regular season.
      Yes, and not just statistically, but one on one. He nailed 3s with PMc draped all over him.

Comment

In addition to his AAU experience/track record, is it a stretch to think that AJ may have been practicing (to some degree) with the UNI team for years? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he was on the court going against current D1 players with some regularity when he was a soph/Jr in HS.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
          Yes, and not just statistically, but one on one. He nailed 3s with PMc draped all over him.
          Just in the couple of games I saw both live, AJ did appear to be the more game ready prospect, by far. I haven’t seen any of the AAU stuff, so the opinions from those who have carry some weight. Also, it backs up his high rankings, since AAU had to play a part in those.

I think guys like McCaffrey and the 5 Star kid from Oskaloosa have their rankings due more to upside than actual play. Again, that’s just based on watching Iowa high school, not AAU. Coaches love that McCaffrry is that tall, can really run the floor and is athletic for being that tall, and can shoot from outside. However, it doesn’t mean he dominates high school games because it hasn’t all “come together”. The Oskaloosa kid, even more so. AJ is WAY more game ready, while the other two are more “projects”. It will be interesting to see just how soon McCaffrey can contribute at Iowa, but AJ comes in ready to add value right away.

Comment

Attended MBB and WBB breakfast this morning. Noticed Trey Croft was not there, though listed on roster. Any status update?

Comment

That’s interesting. We will find out soon enough what is happening. The staff can’t keep it hidden once season starts

Comment

He's still on the roster and still enrolled in school.

Let's just hope the kid is getting it put together for his sake. This isn't a Milik Yarbrough situation where he's repeatedly making bad decisions. This is a kid from a tough upbringing learning about expectations and maturity. Let's let it all play out.
                #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  He's still on the roster and still enrolled in school.

Let's just hope the kid is getting it put together for his sake. This isn't a Milik Yarbrough situation where he's repeatedly making bad decisions. This is a kid from a tough upbringing learning about expectations and maturity. Let's let it all play out.
                  Agreed. Maybe he had a class during the breakfast? If he's struggling academically, I'm definitely for him getting that classwork in rather than go to the breakfast.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Breakfast was over at 7:50 am. I’d be surprised if there were 7:am classes. Maybe meeting with a tutor...

Comment

Anyone else notice no sign of Tray Croft in pictures at practice.

Comment

Originally posted by PanthersMBB View Post
                        Anyone else notice no sign of Tray Croft in pictures at practice.
                        It's been discussed. Nobody knows for sure but he's redshirting so he can get academics in order so I do not find it too surprising.

Comment

Talk about Tut and news on some injuries. Tywhon expected to be a full go in early November. Sounds like he can do some light work before then, hopefully he's ready to play at least a bit in the Paradise Jam. Haldeman and Phyfe have missed some practice also. I really don't like seeing Phyfe miss time. As a young guy who's likely going to be starting, we're going to need him 100%.

Comment

This is 2+ years of Haldeman dealing with 'back stiffness'. That's real tough to shake.
                            #MACtion

Comment

So your saying it is okay to have Haldeman miss practice? All these guys play a key role in getting this team on a winning streak. We can’t have anyone missing practice but we have no control over injuries. We will need all these guys healthy to make a run in the MVC.
                              Last edited by PanthersMBB; 10-11-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I really like the idea of Tuttle having input on modifying the UNI offense to include some of the European basketball offensive schemes.

Comment

Working...
                                X