WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 MBB Open Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned on EKU/Marshall just to see how much we want to avoid EKU in the Paradise Jam. Down 20 in the first half to Marshall. Just horrific

That Penn game is a 10000% must win

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
      Turned on EKU/Marshall just to see how much we want to avoid EKU in the Paradise Jam. Down 20 in the first half to Marshall. Just horrific

That Penn game is a 10000% must win
      I want to clarify that I'm not glad that a player was injured. That's never a good thing. That being said, Penn will be without their leading scorer for the rest of the year, so we should do pretty well. If we lose to Penn, we have bigger issues to worry about than Strength of Schedule.

Comment

• It'll be incredibly interesting to see how the other the other mid-major conferences do in the non-conference. If things are going the way they're going in the first few days, there could be a lot of bids open, ripe for the MVC to take.
        • The Pac-12 looks like it'll be bad again, probably not going to get more than 4, if that.
        • The AAC looks like it could be a two bid or even a one bid league, between UCF and Houston. Memphis and UConn are rebuilding and Cincy and Wichita State (lol) were outplayed for 40 minutes in their respective home openers, to teams that they shouldn't have lost to, let alone be embarrassed by.
        • The A-10 has had a pretty rough start, with 4 home losses to supposedly inferior competition (shoutout to Penn and Stony Brook). Davidson is getting a lot of early season buzz, but if not them, there's not much to the league. They appear to be a "two at max, but probably one bid" league.
        • The WCC is Gonzaga's to lose, as it has been, and it doesn't look like anyone will be challenging them except for maaaaaybe BYU (who ISUr faces).
        • The MW will get at least two, maybe even three or four bids. They look sharp.
        There are a lot bids out there, and a lot of opportunities for quality wins out there for Valley teams. ISUr has like 5, Loyola has Nevada and possibly Boston College, we have (hopefully) Kansas State, Iowa, and a handful of high quality mid-majors. So Ill has Buffalo and then a shot at Nevada or Tulsa. Bradley can take a bite out of the AAC with a game at SMU. If the top teams take care of business in non-con, and a handful of teams stand out in conference play, this could be the year where there's an at-large MVC team. Maybe even more than one.

Now don't get me wrong, there's not a doubt in my mind that if there are a lot of open bids, a sub .500 team from the ACC will get in before they consider a 6 loss Valley team. But it's fun to pretend, darn it.

Comment

• The number of mid major bids isn’t going to increase. The big boys don’t want it so that is the end of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post
            The number of mid major bids isn’t going to increase. The big boys don’t want it so that is the end of it.
            I didn't say increase, I said change hands. AAC is going to drop a few, A-10 will lose one or two. Those could go into the MVC's hands.

Comment

• I've listened to most of the games so far and obviously they are scoring a lot of points. One of the reasons is that they are playing at a fast pace. You could say they are playing at a very un-UNI like pace where in some years past it would be a struggle for both teams to score 100 points. Personally, I don't care how they play as long as they win. However, I wonder if when the opposition gets tougher if they will revert back to walking the ball upcourt and milking the clock. Or, if they continue to play at this pace, they will wear themselves out. These guys aren't used to playing at this pace. Jake isn't used to coaching at this pace. The easiest thing in the world to do when you try something new and after some initial success you run into problems is to go back to the old ways where you had success. Also, in previous years when playing against teams who play at quicker tempos, UNI has been able to get the opponent to play at a tempo they aren't used to. Those teams become frustrated because they can't run like they are accustomed to.
              "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

• Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
                I've listened to most of the games so far and obviously they are scoring a lot of points. One of the reasons is that they are playing at a fast pace. You could say they are playing at a very un-UNI like pace where in some years past it would be a struggle for both teams to score 100 points. Personally, I don't care how they play as long as they win. However, I wonder if when the opposition gets tougher if they will revert back to walking the ball upcourt and milking the clock. Or, if they continue to play at this pace, they will wear themselves out. These guys aren't used to playing at this pace. Jake isn't used to coaching at this pace. The easiest thing in the world to do when you try something new and after some initial success you run into problems is to go back to the old ways where you had success. Also, in previous years when playing against teams who play at quicker tempos, UNI has been able to get the opponent to play at a tempo they aren't used to. Those teams become frustrated because they can't run like they are accustomed to.
                It is a misnomer that UNI has simply walked the ball up the court. We have been more patient in sets in the half court, but we have always been willing to push transition if it was there. Certainly the Washpun led teams were willing to get it and go, the 09-10 team did as well. But we also have been willing to settle quickly into a half-court set and run through multiple options before taking a shot. What is different this year is we are looking to push ahead with passes as opposed to just getting the ball on a rebound and looking to get it to the PG-anyone is able to push (except maybe Dahl and Phyfe), Berhow, Brown, Wentzien are all especially looking to break out and attack. We will be running a lot of 4 guard sets, and aside from Dahl, all of our bigs can move pretty well also. I look for a lot more rotation minutes to help offset the pace.

As far as frustrating opponents, that has always come because of our set defense. We have sacrificed offensive rebounding in order to get everyone back and stop other teams from getting out in transition. Then once set, we force them into a half-court set rather than getting a quick shot in transition and crashing the boards with our defense still getting back. We are even more effective when we make shots because then opponents really can't get any transition game going. That is why valuing the ball is such a key for Jake-turnovers can lead to easy points. When he isn't comfortable with how we value the ball, he tends to slow things down and I wouldn't be surprised to see a game or more this year where he pulls back on the reins because we are getting out of control.

Comment

• Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
                  ... Or, if they continue to play at this pace, they will wear themselves out. These guys aren't used to playing at this pace. Jake isn't used to coaching at this pace. ...
                  Wearing themselves out is a legitimate concern. AS they get Jake's defense figured out, I can see possessions where AJ holds it and the team rests a bit until AJ shoots a 3. That's still going to be a pretty good (ppp=1.25?) play.
                  But most of these guys aren't "used to" UNI offense. AJ, Trae, and Biggie have never played for Jake before. Miles hasn't played enough to be used to anything. Wyatt has always been one to drive and move fast.

P.S. Justin should work on catching passes in the paint. Just stick him in traffic and throw him balls and let him catch them and toss them away. When he is in there and catches it, he scores. But he often doesn't catch it.

Comment

• UNI picks up another W from the NCAA. 2015 BYU was vacated now. I remember Emery well and don't have nice things to say. We will leave it at that.

The investigation found that four BYU boosters provided more than $12,000 in extra benefits to Emery, including vacations, cash, meals, free rounds of golf and the use of a car, the Division I Committee on Infractions released in a statement Thursday

Comment

• This has come up before, but I dont remember. I know that their win is wiped out, but is our loss exponged as well? As in, we had one less loss that year, and Coach Jake has one less L on his all time record?
                      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• I don't think the losses are also vacated as dumb as that is

Comment

• No, the NCAA only vacates wins, not losses. We just have a loss to * now. So no one's happy, just the way the NCAA likes it.

Comment

• I can't believe BYU is upset by the penalty of wiping out W's. They are significantly lucky there isn't more harsh penalties. I mean the kid is back playing for them already this year. Sounds to me like it should be loss of post season eligibility.

Comment

Working...
                            X