WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wartburg Exhibition Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, Croft is in? That's good to see. So he's not completely disallowed from team activities, obviously.

Never mind, it's Malik Hanes, a walk on.
    Last edited by sevelev711; 10-28-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
      Wait, Croft is in? That's good to see. So he's not completely disallowed from team activities, obviously.
      I'm confused now lol

Comment

110-69 as the final. Refreshing to see that much offense!

Comment

Originally posted by kochrab View Post

I'm confused now lol
          He's not in, he's a walkon that the radio crew mistakenly called Croft.

Comment

Worth combing through the box score on your own, but some notables include:
            AJ's 16 points/7 assists/3 rebounds/3 steals and 4-8 3pts in 25 minutes
            Wyatt's 18 pts/7 ast in 23 minutes, Berhow's 7 pts/7 rbds in 16 minutes
            Biggie's 14 pts/8 rbds in 21 minutes
            Haldeman 16 pts in 22 minutes
            Brown's super quiet 13 pts/2 rbds/4 asts/3 steals in 22 minutes.

Comment

The stats site from unipanthers.com has UNI's average scoring possession length at 12 seconds. 10 seconds in the first half.

Comment

That's pretty uptempo.

Comment

If you were at the game I'd love to get your thoughts on the team and how they looked. Radio can only do so much for you.

Comment

I liked what I saw. We hit a bunch of threes, many were uncontested. I was impressed with Biggie, he hit a few threes which should help space the D against bigger teams. I thought Berhow played with some toughness, which we kinda lacked today without Ty and Phyfe. It's tough to judge against a DIII opponent. AJ played well, my only criticism is he played a little too much one on one at times. I was very impressed with his ability to push the ball up court and pass ahead for an easy layup. He didn't look like a first game freshman. Isaiah hit a few nice looks also which was great to see. All in all I was hyped to see the team, we looked good!

Comment

The roster on the website doesn't have the new walk on's listed either.

Comment

This will be the first--and probably the last--time I post something about the pep band, but I was happy that they: 1) played at an exhibition game; 2) relocated to be closer to the basket (as opposed to being in the corner); and 3) were enthusiastic, played rousing music, and will *not* be appreciated by the opposition.

Comment

My observations are as followed.

HUGE upgrade in point guard and let’s not forget huge upgrade in father of the point guard. I will say that he will have to learn not to force early in his career, but I’m too concerned.

Wyatt looks primed for a good senior year, his basketball IQ is off the chart.

Berhow is going to be a nice addition, good shooter, rebounds, and plays defense.

Isaiah looks like he will take another big step, I really wish he would of redshirted as a freshman.

McDonnell and Biggie both look like serviceable interior players, I kind of think Biggie will pass Luke but I see both playing an important role.

We have great depth, players like Haldeman, Wentzien and even Conrey I don’t see having a big role but are quality players.

When Phyfe and Pickford are back watch out.

Comment

Decided to go up to the game after finding out there wasn't any video stream available. my thoughts from the game,

Aj is the real deal! (shocker) His vision passing the ball on the fast break is what I find so impressive. He doesn't need much room at all to get a shot off. He did get burned on D a few times so that something to keep an eye on but its his first game action and we were up by so much the entire game the D seemed to be a bit lazy because of that.

Berhow reminds me a lot of Ashton but he's a much better player IMO. He's got a really good all around game and brings so much energy to the team. He went after the boards hard when he was on the floor.

Isaiah looked really comfortable today. My one knock on him has always been that he doesn't always seem comfortable on the floor at all times and he looked very confident. it doesn't hurt when he knock down shots like he was today. I think he is going to have a big season for us.

biggie looks like he could be a nice piece to the puzzle. He has a very fluid game for a kid around 6'9. he is able to dribble and pass the ball off in transition with ease and that helps the O stay fluid in their movement. He knocked down some 3's which we knew he would. He definitely needs to continue to improve on his post game and maybe bulk up a bit in the upper body but I really like what he brings to the table with this team.

The team played fast and looked great as they hopefully should vs a school like that but it sure was exciting to see the fluid play on O. we played this game without 2 starters from last year and the team didn't even seem to miss a beat. One thing of note thats not really game related. Croft was at the game today and was sitting next to Noah Carter. Every single coach and player came by to greet them both. Nice to see the team making it a point (as they should) to say something to both, but especially nice to see the team support for croft.

Comment

Biggest difference was flow and movement for me. Team already has a better idea of what they're doing offensively than they have the last two years.

Couldn't disagree more about AJ forcing it at times. He controls the game with the dribble and sees the floor incredibly well. He's so advanced. Going to be an absolute joy to watch for the next 140 or so games.

Biggie has a nice high release and good stroke. Some work to do for him on the defensive end but he doesn't shy away from contact or rebounding.

Thought Luke McDonnell looked as good as he has. No thinking, just playing.

Zay is a changed player. Much better feel on offense. We know defense will be there.

Dahl and Conrey are both improved. Still not sure there's a role for either one of them.

Wentzien will play some. Did a nice job with the ball in his hands and defended well. He's going to get rotation minutes.

I'm fully aware it was Wartburg but there is so much more to be encouraged about than there was at this time last year.
                              #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by kochrab View Post
                                If you were at the game I'd love to get your thoughts on the team and how they looked. Radio can only do so much for you.
                                offense looked up tempo while the guard forwards were in the game. Justin Dahl came in and the offense seemed to revert to last year. No one can shoot until the center touchs te ball.

Biggie is no as as big as his name infers. I like his fame very agile. Needs to shoot when open. He scored most of his points after we left.

AJ is the real deal.

Wyatt plays better at off guard. Really good.

We still release everyone back to defense. No one crashes the board on offense.

McDonnell looked better. May be a role player.

Things to work on:
                                rebounding
                                offense with a big man in
                                switching on defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X