WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Game 10, Iowa*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uni1988 View Post
    This game was over after the first five minutes... we could all see that. We can't score and can't keep the other team from scoring. How can this team be this BAD. I read that UNI & Iowa have split the last 14 meetings... that can not be true. Iowa has been a much better team then the Panthers. I HATE the Hawkeyes. Do we have any more D3 schools on our schedule?
    Iowa has been a much better team? Over the last 14 years?

I don't think you know your college hoops if you believe that.

UNI has more NCAA tourney appearances and W's than Iowa over that stretch.

Iowa is a P5 program with one Sweet 16 in the last 30 years. They have been irrelevant in college hoops for decades.

They're better than us this year...but over the last 15. No chance.
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

For those who keep saying the boys are playing hard I just don’t see it. Right now we can’t guard the ball at all. I really don’t think that the players we have now are any less athletic then players like Matt Bohannon, Paul Jesperson, Johnny Moran, Jake Koch, or Kerwin Dunham. Right now I think it comes down to the want to on the defensive end.

On the offensive end watch what the players without the ball are doing. The answer isn’t that hard to find they aren’t moving very much at all. The great UNI teams had players who knew how to get themselves open for easy shots and layups that is something that this team is greatly lacking.

Right now this team is not good and there should be no sugar coating, and some of those things like like not making shot can be sort of aliveated by doing all of the little things right, which is not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by MDB View Post

I am serious. There's a difference between not playing well and not shooting well. Those kids played really hard. They got good shots most of the game. They guarded decently well. They competed.

Obviously if they keep shooting this poorly they won't win games which is the point of playing. But they were competitive in pretty much every aspect of the game tonight aside from making shots. That's easier to work with than a team that doesn't play hard and doesn't compete.

The standard is the same. Everyone on the team has the same goals as they always have. Not sure what your point is. Losing to Iowa in December doesn't matter much when it comes to your standard of winning championships and going to the tournament. Relax.

Effort is there.
        Talent level and mix of talent is brutally awful.

They need a guy guy that says give me the Damn ball because I am the man.

They need a bruiser. Don’t care if he has an offensive game. He is there to rebound and piss the other team off.

they need a guy that can penetrate and finish at rim.

The need a couplr of spot up shooters.

With Phyfe out (he would be bruiser like his dad) the only thing they have is a shooter in Green.

Its in insult to the intelligence of basketball fans to trot out the current roster.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
          For those who keep saying the boys are playing hard I just don’t see it. Right now we can’t guard the ball at all. I really don’t think that the players we have now are any less athletic then players like Matt Bohannon, Paul Jesperson, Johnny Moran, Jake Koch, or Kerwin Dunham. Right now I think it comes down to the want to on the defensive end.

On the offensive end watch what the players without the ball are doing. The answer isn’t that hard to find they aren’t moving very much at all. The great UNI teams had players who knew how to get themselves open for easy shots and layups that is something that this team is greatly lacking.

Right now this team is not good and there should be no sugar coating, and some of those things like like not making shot can be sort of aliveated by doing all of the little things right, which is not happening.

Defensively, we knew it'd take time for all these new guys to gel and learn Jake's defensive system, so lets hope as the season progresses that the D improves.
          Offensively, there is just no movement away from the ball; no cutting, no screening off ball, no back door cuts...it's maddening. We have NO ONE who can get to the rim with the dribble, yet we choose to draw up our ENTIRE offense off the dribble!

Comment

Yeah I am confused by the action we're running at the 3 point arc where the big comes out to get the ball, takes a couple dribbles and hands off to a guard circling by.

Seems like we're working hard to accomplish nothing. Or nothing that leads to shots.

Is this part of the Euro scheme that Tut and Little brought back?

Jake talks a lot about getting the ball from side to side. Not sure I'm getting the play action here.

Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

So, did Drake go 0 for the Hy-Vee?

A.J.= 0-2 FT. We need a shooting psychologist.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                So, did Drake go 0 for the Hy-Vee?

A.J.= 0-2 FT. We need a shooting psychologist.
                And not just the men - the women have been brutal also. Seemed like half the FG misses against Iowa were air balls.
                Last edited by in_the_stands; 12-16-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Per KenPom our combined opponents give us the 10th best defensive schedule in the country. We're also about 100 spots higher in terms of tempo. Our defense ranks around where it usually does. Our offense is, obviously, down. 268th.

So, basically we're playing more possessions against better defense than we've seen in the last 5 years leading to more inefficient offense. Not a huge mystery as to why the margins are what they are. Defense is just fine.

Go back to slowing the game down so that offensive inefficiency is less of a factor and margins don't get stretched. Make it so a 6-0 run gets you back to tied rather than back to 8 or 12.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Effort is there.
                    Talent level and mix of talent is brutally awful.

They need a guy guy that says give me the Damn ball because I am the man.

They need a bruiser. Don’t care if he has an offensive game. He is there to rebound and piss the other team off.

they need a guy that can penetrate and finish at rim.

The need a couplr of spot up shooters.

With Phyfe out (he would be bruiser like his dad) the only thing they have is a shooter in Green.

Its in insult to the intelligence of basketball fans to trot out the current roster.

You clearly never watched his dad play. Steve was far from a bruiser. Long, lean and a jumper. Could be knocked over with a strong gust of wind. Jason Reese was the bruiser.

But I do agree with everyone who says the one thing we need is what in hockey is referred to as an enforcer. Lucas O'Rear, Marvin Singleton played that role on our most successful teams.
                    Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
                    Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
                    UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

• Originally posted by catsize View Post

You clearly never watched his dad play. Steve was far from a bruiser. Long, lean and a jumper. Could be knocked over with a strong gust of wind. Jason Reese was the bruiser.

But I do agree with everyone who says the one thing we need is what in hockey is referred to as an enforcer. Lucas O'Rear, Marvin Singleton played that role on our most successful teams.
                      Phyfes dad played mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Phyfes dad played mean.
                        I played against Steve in juco . He didn't play mean. He wasn't a bruiser. Steve played very smart and could jump out of the gym.

I get the anology but Steve and Austin are two different players. Austin has a lot of time left to mature. I hope he gets the health issues under control.

Comment

• I thought Steve played at Oral Roberts and transferred to UNI

Comment

• Steve played at Oral Roberts in 85-86, then transferred to UNI for his last three seasons. I don't recall him being particularly mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                              I thought Steve played at Oral Roberts and transferred to UNI
                              I stand corrected. The game I recall was in 1983. Steve graduated from Nashua in 1985 so it couldn't have been him. I played for Minneapolis and the game was against either NIACC or Iowa Central. Sucks to be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neighbor View Post

I played against Steve in juco . He didn't play mean. He wasn't a bruiser. Steve played very smart and could jump out of the gym.

I get the anology but Steve and Austin are two different players. Austin has a lot of time left to mature. I hope he gets the health issues under control.

I wish I had been around to see Steve play. He seems like he would be one of those players who would have been very fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X