WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 11 - Grand Canyon U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MDB View Post

Thought they made great strides tonight. Still a lot of season. GCU is a big time Mid Major program. Our guys showed that they still have a lot of fight in them. They aren't throwing in the towel. It just feels like a lot of "fans" are quitting on them already. That's frustrating.
    GCU is far from a big time program. They have an RPI in the hi 100s and finished each of the last 2 years in the mid 100s. They win a lot of games because they play in a crap conference but this is the type of team we should never lose to at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple member View Post

GCU is far from a big time program. They have an RPI in the hi 100s and finished each of the last 2 years in the mid 100s. They win a lot of games because they play in a crap conference but this is the type of team we should never lose to at home.
      They came within a couple points of beating both South Dakota State and top5 Nevada. They are a really good basketball team with a lot of size that is hard to matchup against.

Comment

While the defense wasn't great...I thought the intensity on defense was better. Still out of place a bit and awkward rotations, but the intensity was there for the most part. That is something we can positively take away. The effort isn't going away just gotta keep grinding and find that chemistry on O.

Comment

Just to clarify my "crickets" comment (that was a poor choice of words)... Everyone cheered the three and cheered most of the buckets during that run. But nothing was ever sustained. There was very little noise when the team was on Defense and anytime something went wrong or GCU made a shot it felt like the crowd took 2 steps back.

I get that the product hasn't been great this year but nights like tonight are perfect for fans to show that these kids still have their support. To show that they still believe in the guys. Maybe I'm wrong but it just felt like from the beginning the crowd was just waiting for UNI to "prove it" instead of working with the guys. I made a comment about it to several people just a couple minutes into the game. The atmosphere was odd.

Like I said... I get being frustrated. But that should never affect how you cheer for these kids. They basically work a full time, physically, mentally and emotionally demanding job and have full time school at the same time and are held to a higher standard in all aspects of their lives and I guarantee they want to win more than any fans do. Just support them positively. That's all.

Thought they made great strides tonight. Still a lot of season. GCU is a big time Mid Major program. Our guys showed that they still have a lot of fight in them. They aren't throwing in the towel. It just feels like a lot of "fans" are quitting on them already. That's frustrating.
          A BIG disappointment for me - VERY few fans stand for the school song. ...I even tried to get fans to stand when we took the lead to encourage tough defense...no luck...so so sad...

Comment

I think people are over estimating how tough the valley is too. It's really bad this season. Currently being lead by Drake, who's best win is against... Texas State? 4-7 Boise State? Their schedule has been so cupcake we could probably go 8-2 against it. Looks like Loyola is the only other team after that which doesn't have a truly awful loss on their record. It looks to me like we've had hands down the toughest schedule too.

We will compete in this conference

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post
              I think people are over estimating how tough the valley is too. It's really bad this season. Currently being lead by Drake, who's best win is against... Texas State? 4-7 Boise State? Their schedule has been so cupcake we could probably go 8-2 against it. Looks like Loyola is the only other team after that which doesn't have a truly awful loss on their record. It looks to me like we've had hands down the toughest schedule too.

We will compete in this conference
              Exactly. The Valley will be wide open. If and when things will start to click, we can make a good run in conference.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Hope so. Maybe that Thursday appearance in St. Louis last spring was just a bad dream.

Comment

Unless the Valley is complete trash UNI isn’t going to be competitive. You are smoking crack to think otherwise.

Uni has zero inside game, they don’t even have a guy with potential to play inside.

Uni has no muscle. The strength and and conditioning coach must be teaching line dancing.

Uni had nobody body that can penetrate. You don’t teach quick and athletic.

Sure they will will win some games but “getting hot from three point line” for a few minutes doesn’t mean they are “figuring it out”.

Roster is a dumpster fire.

I look forward to going to some games and I hope Green shoots it 40 times.

I hope this this team has a lot of seniors.

i have talked to several uni season ticket holders and casual fans. What I am saying is what 90% of the fan base is thinking. It’s very obvious. You have to have players at each position.
                  Last edited by run&blade; 12-20-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                    Unless the Valley is complete trash UNI isn’t going to be competitive. You are smoking crack to think otherwise.

Uni has zero inside game, they don’t even have a guy with potential to play inside.

Uni has no muscle. The strength and and conditioning coach must be teaching line dancing.

Uni had nobody body that can penetrate. You don’t teach quick and athletic.

Sure they will will win some games but “getting hot from three point line” for a few minutes doesn’t mean they are “figuring it out”.

Roster is a dumpster fire.

I look forward to going to some games and I hope Green shoots it 40 times.

I hope this this team has a lot of seniors.

i have talked to several uni season ticket holders and casual fans. What I am saying is what 90% of the fan base is thinking. It’s very obvious. You have to have players at each position.
                    You must be great at parties.

​​​​​You should try to enjoy yourself a little. Try not to have so much hate in your heart.

Comment

You must be great at parties.

​​​​​You should try to enjoy yourself a little. Try not to have so much hate in your heart.
                      It ain’t hate. It’s obvious and it’s obvious to everybody but the Kool-Aid crowd.

You enjoy being urinated on and told it’s raining. Happy for you.

Comment

Perhaps we are a bit spoiled. When you look at what this program achieved from 2004-2016, it is hard for me to take solace in the fact that we "were within single digits" against a "big time mid-major program" who "hung with South Dakota State" at home. That isn't the standard I hold these guys too. We are supposed to be a big-time mid-major program and go toe-to-toe with programs like Utah State, SDSU and Grand Canyon....not just try to hang around.

I still think the potential is there, but we are 2-7 against DI competition and have gotten knocked around real good a few times, struggled against a D3 team and now gotten beaten pretty badly at home against a 6-5 WAC team. We have a long way to go. Guys aren't playing to what I would expect the coaches think they are capable of. Some are coming back from injuries, some are just struggling, some are perhaps being asked to play a little out of position (looking at McDonnell and Biggie). We clearly haven't gelled. Hopefully we can get to a point where roles are solidified and the offense runs a little smoother and we can have more faith and trust on defense and we can be competitive in a weak MVC. I hope so, because a little momentum could springboard us into a pretty good year next year if this group can figure it out.

But right now it is pretty bad.

Comment

I was encouraged by the fact that Jake was visibly upset at times last night. His body language was more aggressive and the entire staff seemed to be more engaged than they have been during games.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                            Perhaps we are a bit spoiled. When you look at what this program achieved from 2004-2016, it is hard for me to take solace in the fact that we "were within single digits" against a "big time mid-major program" who "hung with South Dakota State" at home. That isn't the standard I hold these guys too. We are supposed to be a big-time mid-major program and go toe-to-toe with programs like Utah State, SDSU and Grand Canyon....not just try to hang around.
                            I'm telling you, all 3 of those schools will be NCAA teams. We don’t have a real “bruiser” inside, but Jake has won NCAA tournament games without that before. In fact the last NCAA tournament win we have we didn’t have a bruiser. You clearly didn’t watch the game last night if you think they don’t have anyone that can penetrate, Wentzien, AJ, Isaiah, and Tywhon were all getting to the rim and drawing fouls, just gotta get better at finishing. Isaiah and Bigge finish off those dunks in traffic and maybe the result last night is different. My faith in this team was struggling a bit after the last couple weeks, but I saw the pieces come together a bit last night. I’m more than happy to call a spade a spade, but they played a team last night that is as good as anyone we will see in the MVC, and played dramatically better than I think they would have even a week or two ago. Progress is being made, if you want to ignore it, that’s on you. I’m not going to.

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerDobber View Post

Want them to fail? That's crazy talk right there. Pump the brakes.

I don't think pointing out obvious problems as a sign we want them to fail. This team has a ways to go to be competitive in the Valley but they definitely will learn and get better as the season progresses. We have to find some kind of inside game. The team fought their way back in this one and held the lead. A few made free throws and defensive rebounds and it would of been a 50/50 game in the final minutes. Can't question their desire.
                              I know I got really excited when ESPN notified me that SDSU and Iowa destroyed us. I love it that our team is awful.
                              Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

It would appear as though we have a few new Panther fans in our midst? Maybe new to internet message boards?

This conversation about fans sitting on their hands has been occurring seemingly yearly since I joined the board. It goes hand-in-hand with the "atmosphere" conversation where we discuss how poor game ops are, how some small things would help bring some excitement (i.e. beer, color-outs, better music), the poor presentation of everything (the music is too loud, the music is not loud enough, timing is terrible), etc.

The fact that a poster who has been posting here for less than a year is here admonishing fans who have followed this team through thick and thin, who can remember posting about the sky falling after the Evansville loss the year that we beat KU, who have spent countless dollars of their (often tight) disposable income is laughable. This is a message board. Our team is trash right now. This is the place to discuss that because there often aren't many people in our lives who are as passionate about UNI as we are. We are not all going to sit here after a sh***y game like last night, or an embarrassing performance like Saturday night and give the tennis clap and say "Great effort, guys." We can have the argument about whether they deserve more compensation (they do), but the fact is that these boys are going to school for free to represent our university and most of that representation is on the court. When they aren't doing a great job at that, it's not out of line to call that out. Nobody is discounting the time or effort that they put in, but the fact is that this team is not a lot of fun to watch right now.

Some of us have given up a lot of our money and time and expect some sort of return on that investment. Some of us have volunteered hours upon hours for this university. Some of us have represented the Panthers on a national stage. Don't come here and trash people who want to discuss the status of our men's athletic department. You are not a better fan than us, whether you are a purple colored glasses person or someone with a negative viewpoint. Welcome to the internet, home of hot takes. Get used to it or move along. That goes for every person on this board who comes across as though they get to decide the tone of this board. I don't care if you've rooted for them since 1981 or 2018. If our team is playing like trash and we want to talk about it, that's sort of the reason this place exists. If you need a padded room style thread where it's all hugs and juiceboxes, start one and let us know and the realists among us will stay away.

I, for one, am a pretty embarrassed by how our team has been playing basically since the Texas win, starting with the final minute of the A&M game. I have never seen a Panther team get out schemed and out played like we have the past two years. I support our coach. I think he is a brilliant basketball mind. As a bonus, unlike University of Eastern Iowa's coach, he's not a prick. But I'll be damned if I'm going to come on here and tell people who are a little tired of this that they can't voice that opinion. This is a message board, and fans are allowed to talk about how they feel on a message board. Deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X