WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 14 Bradley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNI will be the only road winner tonight. Illinois State had a chance to pick one up at Valpo, but picked up two charging calls, fouled a three pointet shooter and gave a half court heave at the buzzer to lose. Couldn’t happen to a better team.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

I would strike while the iron is hot. Charge $60 for tickets to the next home game. Worked great for football.
      It actually did. Football ticket revenue was the highest it's ever been by 15% per UNI Athletics year in review
      #MACtion

Comment

Berhow is probably not getting enough credit. He was finally draining 3s but got into foul trouble

Comment

Nice to see Dahl have a good game. It will be interesting to see if he plays regularly from here on out. In the past Jake has shown a tendency to bench certain bigs if the opponent presented a matchup or pace of play issue.

Comment

If Isaiah can defend like he did tonight every game, this team has a chance to get some wins. He took Brown out of the game and kept him out of the lane so other guys didn't have to help. He was also pretty good in the high post when Bradley went zone. Still a lot of things to work out, but this was definitely a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post
              Berhow is probably not getting enough credit. He was finally draining 3s but got into foul trouble
              That's the great thing about a game like tonight. So many guys had nice games, but nobody really had a huge game.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                Nice to see Dahl have a good game. It will be interesting to see if he plays regularly from here on out. In the past Jake has shown a tendency to bench certain bigs if the opponent presented a matchup or pace of play issue.
                This is spot on. I believe both Dahl and Jake mentioned in the postgame interviews that Dahl was planned to play due to the matchups Bradley presented. If Dahl continues to play well, we should be the ones dictating the matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                  Tywhon out with an illness according to BU beat writer.

Dahl with a few productive minutes. Good to see. Still ugly offense but defense looking much better thus far.

Boy I wish we could make shots.
                  Jake said on the radio pregame Tywhon has been battling a lingering shoulder injury, in addition to the flu bug. Great to see us playing UNI defense. Terrific road win to start the new season!

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

Jake said on the radio pregame Tywhon has been battling a lingering shoulder injury, in addition to the flu bug. Great to see us playing UNI defense. Terrific road win to start the new season!
                    I knew something was off when I was looking at the box score, but I didn't know until now that Tywhon didn't play. That makes an 18 point road win all the more impressive.

I hope the poor kid can get healthy soon. He's had awful luck with injuries.

Comment

I am not a basketball coach, but it feels like tight tough man-to-man defense requires an anchor to be successful. Dahl really disrupted things for Bradley tonight. It was evident. They also missed a lot of open looks, however.

Comment

My observation is that the offense works better when we run a high post. It may not work every game but it made a difference last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                          My observation is that the offense works better when we run a high post. It may not work every game but it made a difference last night.
                          Jake's best teams always have run through the high post. Tut spent most of his career controlling the court from the high post. Jake was a high post guy. Adam controlled those games from the high post playing games with Kwadzo.

I came to the realization last night that a fast paced tempo is Jake's option QB.

We all know Tracy Ham was Farley's initial introduction into what an option QB can do in the best case scenario, and then facing App State and Richie Williams in the title game and losing, then seeing Edwards take App State from there.....then we saw how it spiraled Farley from a QB that can move in Sanders, into a QB that can run with Grace to a runner that can play QB with Rennie into whatever we want to call Carnes and Bailey. Farley failed to realized that Williams and Edwards were also damn good passers and at the FCS level guys like that simply don't exist with regularity.

I don't know what Jake's "Ham/Williams" moment was, but somewhere along the line he's become infatuated with trying to find a way to play fast. He's tried it multiple times and it's failed every time - just as Farley trying to push a running QB on the football team.

AJ could be seen as Jake's Rennie. He saw this incredible talent he thought would be the fix to running this offense he's dreamed of. Turns out when you don't recruit for that style, you don't have that style ingrained in the foundation of the program, etc. it doesn't work.

Hopefully Jake realized that this idea of playing fast isn't what success at UNI looks like. Hopefully last night was Jake's realization that playing damn good defense and a controlled offensive system is what works and we see that continue.
                          GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                            I am not a basketball coach, but it feels like tight tough man-to-man defense requires an anchor to be successful. Dahl really disrupted things for Bradley tonight. It was evident. They also missed a lot of open looks, however.
                            I don't think they got as many open looks as we had been giving up. Zay, when engaged, is an incredible defender and when he's engaged defensively his offensive game is better. Lets hope that the light turned on for him last night
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Jake's best teams always have run through the high post. Tut spent most of his career controlling the court from the high post. Jake was a high post guy. Adam controlled those games from the high post playing games with Kwadzo.

I came to the realization last night that a fast paced tempo is Jake's option QB.

We all know Tracy Ham was Farley's initial introduction into what an option QB can do in the best case scenario, and then facing App State and Richie Williams in the title game and losing, then seeing Edwards take App State from there.....then we saw how it spiraled Farley from a QB that can move in Sanders, into a QB that can run with Grace to a runner that can play QB with Rennie into whatever we want to call Carnes and Bailey. Farley failed to realized that Williams and Edwards were also damn good passers and at the FCS level guys like that simply don't exist with regularity.

I don't know what Jake's "Ham/Williams" moment was, but somewhere along the line he's become infatuated with trying to find a way to play fast. He's tried it multiple times and it's failed every time - just as Farley trying to push a running QB on the football team.

AJ could be seen as Jake's Rennie. He saw this incredible talent he thought would be the fix to running this offense he's dreamed of. Turns out when you don't recruit for that style, you don't have that style ingrained in the foundation of the program, etc. it doesn't work.

Hopefully Jake realized that this idea of playing fast isn't what success at UNI looks like. Hopefully last night was Jake's realization that playing damn good defense and a controlled offensive system is what works and we see that continue.
                              That’s an interesting take that I had not thought of. A couple of differences though 1) AJ is not exactly a fast tempo, Rennie style playmaker. He certainly would do well in that type of offense, but he’s not a lightning quick, blow by you type guy. He’s a good weapon in that style, but not a focal point. 2) Jake May realize that in order to get the program to progress beyond where it is, he needs to attract higher level recruits, and a faster tempo is needed to do so. Basketball’s different than football, where to be consistently nationally relevant you need a couple of playmakers every year. Football you could get by with 2-3 playmaking skill players out of 11 guys. Basketball you need 2 or so out of 5.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

That sentence sent chills down my spine.
                                "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Working...
                                X