WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 14 Bradley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue42
    replied
    More minutes for JD and Miles.

We desperately need some physicality on the floor. Those two boys can bring it.

Leave a comment:

• SteinPizza
    replied
    Originally posted by Neighbor View Post

We played a fair amount of zone. Especially when JD was in there. He really accumulated the rebounds when we played zone.
    Which could explain why he got a lot of meaningful time. Let’s see if he plays against teams where man to man or pac Line is what Jake feels will work. Great work by Dahl, give him credit.

Jake has always been more of a matchups style coach with certain players, especially bigs who were role players. You can tell that listening to his post game interviews over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Neighbor
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
    I am not a basketball coach, but it feels like tight tough man-to-man defense requires an anchor to be successful. Dahl really disrupted things for Bradley tonight. It was evident. They also missed a lot of open looks, however.
    We played a fair amount of zone. Especially when JD was in there. He really accumulated the rebounds when we played zone.

Leave a comment:

• 06panther10
    replied
    Don’t worry, they tweeted a graphic last night after the game (that’s still up, btw) promoting our next game as being @ SIU, instead of at The Mcleod Center this Saturday.

Great job from the athletic department, as usual.

Leave a comment:

• PanthersMBB
    replied
    You said it perfect. The audio is usually on the basketball website so we can at least hear post game interviews. Nothing on there for this game. And the interviews with the players after game in media room never are available. The women’s team does a great job getting that done. And sometimes we see a post on Facebook but The same is not on twitter. And absolutely nothing on Instagram. Very very poor job and is this all on the sports information guy or who? We are a D1 program it’s about time we promote our product with all the resources we have.

Leave a comment:

• MNpanthers
    replied
    Annoying but maybe not that surprising to see very little social media after the win last night.

This is the kind of game I want to hear more about, and that casual fans need to hear about. Where are the post-game quotes from the press conference? That's such an easy thing to do. All they've tweeted since the win is to check out the patio.

Instagram account was created and they haven't used it since SDSU. That site is their best opportunity at fan engagement and particularly student engagement. Completely inexcusable.

There are many student clubs on the UNI campus that do a better job with social media than the athletics dept. No excuses, there are hundreds of students on campus who could do a far better job than what's happening now for a very small price.

Edit: I know there's a thread for this but this felt relevant to the game last night
    Last edited by MNpanthers; 01-03-2019, 09:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UNIAlum95
    replied
    So now the million dollar question for the million dollar coach is if he continues to play lineups based on opponents or if he actually plans to dictate a style of play based on who UNI wants to have on the court.

Under the argument that Bradley's style of play allowed us to play Dahl and control the game, Bradley's coach should be fired on the spot because there are 8 games mapping out how to beat this team. I really hope we are committed to making a change and this is the new norm but my fear is we go back to playing to the opponent against SIU. Really hoping to be wrong because it has been a while since I've been excited for the next game.

New season: 1-0 start... Let's keep it up.

Leave a comment:

• Born-a-Panther
    replied
    Nothing really new to add beyond what's been said but wow was that fun last night. It was enjoyable to sit around our living room as a family and watch that game. We looked how a Ben Jacobson UNI team is supposed to look. Defense first, let the offense be patient and feed off of the defensive intensity, and frustrate the heck out of your opponent. Even the TV crew made comments about how this looked like the old Ben Jacobson teams.

Now please, please, please keep it up. Dahl looked great, Luke looked great, Trey looked great... just an all-around team win with different players stepping up at different times.

Leave a comment:

• ronfitch
    replied
    Originally posted by clenz View Post

I came to the realization last night that a fast paced tempo is Jake's option QB.
    That sentence sent chills down my spine.

Leave a comment:

• SteinPizza
    replied
    Originally posted by clenz View Post

Jake's best teams always have run through the high post. Tut spent most of his career controlling the court from the high post. Jake was a high post guy. Adam controlled those games from the high post playing games with Kwadzo.

I came to the realization last night that a fast paced tempo is Jake's option QB.

We all know Tracy Ham was Farley's initial introduction into what an option QB can do in the best case scenario, and then facing App State and Richie Williams in the title game and losing, then seeing Edwards take App State from there.....then we saw how it spiraled Farley from a QB that can move in Sanders, into a QB that can run with Grace to a runner that can play QB with Rennie into whatever we want to call Carnes and Bailey. Farley failed to realized that Williams and Edwards were also damn good passers and at the FCS level guys like that simply don't exist with regularity.

I don't know what Jake's "Ham/Williams" moment was, but somewhere along the line he's become infatuated with trying to find a way to play fast. He's tried it multiple times and it's failed every time - just as Farley trying to push a running QB on the football team.

AJ could be seen as Jake's Rennie. He saw this incredible talent he thought would be the fix to running this offense he's dreamed of. Turns out when you don't recruit for that style, you don't have that style ingrained in the foundation of the program, etc. it doesn't work.

Hopefully Jake realized that this idea of playing fast isn't what success at UNI looks like. Hopefully last night was Jake's realization that playing damn good defense and a controlled offensive system is what works and we see that continue.
    That’s an interesting take that I had not thought of. A couple of differences though 1) AJ is not exactly a fast tempo, Rennie style playmaker. He certainly would do well in that type of offense, but he’s not a lightning quick, blow by you type guy. He’s a good weapon in that style, but not a focal point. 2) Jake May realize that in order to get the program to progress beyond where it is, he needs to attract higher level recruits, and a faster tempo is needed to do so. Basketball’s different than football, where to be consistently nationally relevant you need a couple of playmakers every year. Football you could get by with 2-3 playmaking skill players out of 11 guys. Basketball you need 2 or so out of 5.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
    I am not a basketball coach, but it feels like tight tough man-to-man defense requires an anchor to be successful. Dahl really disrupted things for Bradley tonight. It was evident. They also missed a lot of open looks, however.
    I don't think they got as many open looks as we had been giving up. Zay, when engaged, is an incredible defender and when he's engaged defensively his offensive game is better. Lets hope that the light turned on for him last night

Leave a comment:

• clenz
    replied
    Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
    My observation is that the offense works better when we run a high post. It may not work every game but it made a difference last night.
    Jake's best teams always have run through the high post. Tut spent most of his career controlling the court from the high post. Jake was a high post guy. Adam controlled those games from the high post playing games with Kwadzo.

We all know Tracy Ham was Farley's initial introduction into what an option QB can do in the best case scenario, and then facing App State and Richie Williams in the title game and losing, then seeing Edwards take App State from there.....then we saw how it spiraled Farley from a QB that can move in Sanders, into a QB that can run with Grace to a runner that can play QB with Rennie into whatever we want to call Carnes and Bailey. Farley failed to realized that Williams and Edwards were also damn good passers and at the FCS level guys like that simply don't exist with regularity.

I don't know what Jake's "Ham/Williams" moment was, but somewhere along the line he's become infatuated with trying to find a way to play fast. He's tried it multiple times and it's failed every time - just as Farley trying to push a running QB on the football team.

AJ could be seen as Jake's Rennie. He saw this incredible talent he thought would be the fix to running this offense he's dreamed of. Turns out when you don't recruit for that style, you don't have that style ingrained in the foundation of the program, etc. it doesn't work.

Hopefully Jake realized that this idea of playing fast isn't what success at UNI looks like. Hopefully last night was Jake's realization that playing damn good defense and a controlled offensive system is what works and we see that continue.

Leave a comment:

• Neighbor
    replied
    My observation is that the offense works better when we run a high post. It may not work every game but it made a difference last night.

Leave a comment:

• UNIGrainer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• UNIChippewa
    replied
    Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

Jake said on the radio pregame Tywhon has been battling a lingering shoulder injury, in addition to the flu bug. Great to see us playing UNI defense. Terrific road win to start the new season!
    I knew something was off when I was looking at the box score, but I didn't know until now that Tywhon didn't play. That makes an 18 point road win all the more impressive.

I hope the poor kid can get healthy soon. He's had awful luck with injuries.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X