WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 15 Southern Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Fun watching Green quick dribble and shoot. He would be best as shooting guard with a quick PG that could command attention off the dribble.

Uni shot more threes tonight than Golden State usually does.
    From what I’ve seen, I completely agree with you on Green. He’s not a Wes, Kwazdo, Deon type penetrator. UNI needs a couple of guys like that (EVERY YEAR), with none currently on the roster. Brown is quick, but he’s not a consistent threat to get to the rim and break down a defense.

The color guy on TV even said something like, “UNI’s offense is just chucking three’s.” From the context, he didn’t mean it as a compliment. It was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
      I'm new to the forums but have followed Panther basketball as long as I can remember. I love my Panthers and it's not like their offense has ever been earth shattering, but it is really disappointing so far this year. Not having capable bigs and poor shooting is a really tough combo to overcome. Berhow has definitely improved the last couple games and Dahl has looked solid but it has really been a struggle otherwise. Green has obviously struggled a little to start conference play (his shot was really off tonight). Having said that, it is very obvious that his talent is on another level, and I would be willing to bet that he will win us a few games in the near future.

Go Cats!
      This coach doesn’t play his post bigs. He rots them on the bench. The offense needs to run a rotation, but instead, he allows whomever is interested, to simply chuck 3s off of first or no pass. He never pulls them for taking dumb shots...simply says “our shots weren’t falling tonight”. He can’t recruit athletes. We get unathletic guards that shouldn’t be playing at this level. And he always has undersized teams because he loves unathletic and undersized guards that shoot 25 ft 3s over and over with the same results

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

From what I’ve seen, I completely agree with you on Green. He’s not a Wes, Kwazdo, Deon type penetrator. UNI needs a couple of guys like that (EVERY YEAR), with none currently on the roster. Brown is quick, but he’s not a consistent threat to get to the rim and break down a defense.

The color guy on TV even said something like, “UNI’s offense is just chucking three’s.” From the context, he didn’t mean it as a compliment. It was correct.
        Most young teams go through this but good coaches lay down the law and nip it in the bud. Jake has let it go for yrs and continues recruiting more of the unathletic and undersized guards and continues rotting the post players on the bench...even after everyone has pointed out “where are they”?

Comment

I remember saying this coming into the season and getting ripped for it. AJ was going to be the second coming.

I've yet to see him want to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. Here's more comfortable chucking a shot from half court with a guy in his face. He's still the best player we've had in a long time but he's not a pure point guard.
          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

I remember saying this coming into the season and getting ripped for it. AJ was going to be the second coming.

I've yet to see him want to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. Here's more comfortable chucking a shot from half court with a guy in his face. He's still the best player we've had in a long time but he's not a pure point guard.
            AAU basketball is ruining the game as is the shot clock and emphasis on the 3. Post play is diminished. You never see a power forward any more. Point guards are always scoring pt guards now. They don’t distribute and get their teammates involved. They only pass when they don’t have a shot themselves so don’t have a choice. Go watch an AAU tournament some weekend if you want to pull your hair out. Coaches yelling to players to “take it all the way” instead of passing to an open teammate for a layup or down the middle to split the defense when you have a man advantage. Everyone is looking to score as every parent and coach is in it for themselves. Getting to college. College is the new nba game. Congrats rulemakers. Jake went against this very successfully for several yrs, but has went away from it the last three. We all know the results of that. If he doesn’t switch back to emphasizing defense, patient offense and taking good shots with more of a traditional lineup, he’ll be an assistant in Omaha in a couple yrs.

Comment

As far as getting a guard who can penetrate... is our guy (starting next ust obviously) Trey Croft? Haven't seen a lot of him, but he seems like a quick, shifty scorer.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                Jake has let it go for yrs and continues recruiting more of the unathletic and undersized guards
                This again? Go watch blue bloods if this is going to be a complaint every time we lose a game. Most UNI teams the past 15 years should kill for a guard with the athleticism of Brown, Pickford, or Berhow.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

McCould and Croft would both be helpful this year. At least the McCloud we thought we were getting. I know it only matters what we got, but in terms of judgment about recruiting, McCloud was a good get.

Comment

If he doesn’t switch back to emphasizing defense, patient offense and taking good shots with more of a traditional lineup, he’ll be an assistant in Omaha in a couple yrs.
                    Agreed on defense, but UNI’s best teams always had a penetrator, or at least someone who was a threat to take it to the rack. UNI, and any good team who wants to do something nationally, needs a couple of those guys every year, not just occasionally. You can stress all the patient offense you want, but a lack of athletic guys who can create opportunity for themselves and others is what our last few bad teams have lacked (badly lacked too).

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                      McCould and Croft would both be helpful this year. At least the McCloud we thought we were getting. I know it only matters what we got, but in terms of judgment about recruiting, McCloud was a good get.
                      Yup. McCloud was supposed to be an experienced penetrating guard that would help break down defenses. Don't know who's to blame for his crash & burn, but the more he played the more confused he seemed about what he was supposed to be doing out there. Would have helped if he didn't struggle with jump shots, layups and free throws.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

This again? Go watch blue bloods if this is going to be a complaint every time we lose a game. Most UNI teams the past 15 years should kill for a guard with the athleticism of Brown, Pickford, or Berhow.
                        You completely whiff on the point. And I wouldn’t call brown and pickford guards. Certainly not the latter. Need more of Brown’s size and athleticism on the roster. This is only one of the issues. Another is the way he plays them and also his complete ignoring of a post game. As far as watching others. I do . But I’m a UNI grad so care
                        Last edited by Mudrafan; 01-06-2019, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post

Yup. McCloud was supposed to be an experienced penetrating guard that would help break down defenses. Don't know who's to blame for his crash & burn, but the more he played the more confused he seemed about what he was supposed to be doing out there. Would have helped if he didn't struggle with jump shots, layups and free throws.
                          Roles weren’t established. Players seem to just do whatever and then come and go in the lineup with little or no explanation

Comment

Agreed on defense, but UNI’s best teams always had a penetrator, or at least someone who was a threat to take it to the rack. UNI, and any good team who wants to do something nationally, needs a couple of those guys every year, not just occasionally. You can stress all the patient offense you want, but a lack of athletic guys who can create opportunity for themselves and others is what our last few bad teams have lacked (badly lacked too).
                            Never said they didn’t need this

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                              They have a roster that UNI should have.

Jake could do some serious damage with that roster.
                              Darker skin tone? It can't be your height argument, our line-up was taller.
                              Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
                              Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
                              UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

AAU basketball is ruining the game as is the shot clock and emphasis on the 3. Post play is diminished. You never see a power forward any more. Point guards are always scoring pt guards now. They don’t distribute and get their teammates involved. They only pass when they don’t have a shot themselves so don’t have a choice. Go watch an AAU tournament some weekend if you want to pull your hair out. Coaches yelling to players to “take it all the way” instead of passing to an open teammate for a layup or down the middle to split the defense when you have a man advantage. Everyone is looking to score as every parent and coach is in it for themselves. Getting to college. College is the new nba game. Congrats rulemakers. Jake went against this very successfully for several yrs, but has went away from it the last three. We all know the results of that. If he doesn’t switch back to emphasizing defense, patient offense and taking good shots with more of a traditional lineup, he’ll be an assistant in Omaha in a couple yrs.
                                Having a kid in AAU for his third year, I can attest to what you're saying about it. My son was designated the "post" player the minute he was asked to join the team. He barely scores because they don't practice feeding the ball inside EVER. He's there for his tough defense, to set screens, and rebound. All things important, but he is getting increasingly frustrated that they don't try to utilize him underneath the hoop no matter how hard he posts up.
                                "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Working...
                                X