WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 15 Southern Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born-a-Panther
    replied
    Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

And let me guess...on pick n rolls, the ball handler thinks the screen is for him and never looks for your wide open son? That’s what the Panthers do when our bigs screen
    Actually... yes.

Leave a comment:

• UNIGrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post
    Don't even get me started on Jay Bilas...
    Journalists who state their opinion as if it were fact are a pet peeve of mine. Jay Bilas is one of the worst.

Leave a comment:

• Mudrafan
    replied
    Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

Having a kid in AAU for his third year, I can attest to what you're saying about it. My son was designated the "post" player the minute he was asked to join the team. He barely scores because they don't practice feeding the ball inside EVER. He's there for his tough defense, to set screens, and rebound. All things important, but he is getting increasingly frustrated that they don't try to utilize him underneath the hoop no matter how hard he posts up.
    And let me guess...on pick n rolls, the ball handler thinks the screen is for him and never looks for your wide open son? That’s what the Panthers do when our bigs screen

Leave a comment:

• SteinPizza
    replied
    Originally posted by sivert View Post
    McCould and Croft would both be helpful this year. At least the McCloud we thought we were getting. I know it only matters what we got, but in terms of judgment about recruiting, McCloud was a good get.
    Agreed, but McCloud was ONE GUY. We should have few penetrator types on our team every year, not just one every four recruiting classes. You lose the one guy, you’re basically left with your set shooter types that are pretty easy to defend.

Leave a comment:

• Gboom23
    replied
    Don't even get me started on Jay Bilas...

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

Having a kid in AAU for his third year, I can attest to what you're saying about it. My son was designated the "post" player the minute he was asked to join the team. He barely scores because they don't practice feeding the ball inside EVER. He's there for his tough defense, to set screens, and rebound. All things important, but he is getting increasingly frustrated that they don't try to utilize him underneath the hoop no matter how hard he posts up.
    Every high school game I've seen in the last 5 years is the same. Nobody teaches post play, so nobody feeds the post, so nobody wants to play in the post and it becomes a vicious circle.

Every tall kid thinks he's Kevin Durant now and all these rule changes that Jay Bilas, et al, want to make (widening the lane, shortening the shot clock, moving the 3 pt line back) are just just going to make it worse.

Leave a comment:

• sivert
    replied
    Is this a result of the block/charge arc and freedom of movement?

Leave a comment:

• Born-a-Panther
    replied
    Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

AAU basketball is ruining the game as is the shot clock and emphasis on the 3. Post play is diminished. You never see a power forward any more. Point guards are always scoring pt guards now. They don’t distribute and get their teammates involved. They only pass when they don’t have a shot themselves so don’t have a choice. Go watch an AAU tournament some weekend if you want to pull your hair out. Coaches yelling to players to “take it all the way” instead of passing to an open teammate for a layup or down the middle to split the defense when you have a man advantage. Everyone is looking to score as every parent and coach is in it for themselves. Getting to college. College is the new nba game. Congrats rulemakers. Jake went against this very successfully for several yrs, but has went away from it the last three. We all know the results of that. If he doesn’t switch back to emphasizing defense, patient offense and taking good shots with more of a traditional lineup, he’ll be an assistant in Omaha in a couple yrs.

Leave a comment:

• catsize
    replied
    Originally posted by run&blade View Post
    They have a roster that UNI should have.

Jake could do some serious damage with that roster.
    Darker skin tone? It can't be your height argument, our line-up was taller.

Leave a comment:

• Mudrafan
    replied
    Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Agreed on defense, but UNI’s best teams always had a penetrator, or at least someone who was a threat to take it to the rack. UNI, and any good team who wants to do something nationally, needs a couple of those guys every year, not just occasionally. You can stress all the patient offense you want, but a lack of athletic guys who can create opportunity for themselves and others is what our last few bad teams have lacked (badly lacked too).
    Never said they didn’t need this

Leave a comment:

• Mudrafan
    replied
    Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post

Yup. McCloud was supposed to be an experienced penetrating guard that would help break down defenses. Don't know who's to blame for his crash & burn, but the more he played the more confused he seemed about what he was supposed to be doing out there. Would have helped if he didn't struggle with jump shots, layups and free throws.
    Roles weren’t established. Players seem to just do whatever and then come and go in the lineup with little or no explanation

Leave a comment:

• Mudrafan
    replied
    Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

This again? Go watch blue bloods if this is going to be a complaint every time we lose a game. Most UNI teams the past 15 years should kill for a guard with the athleticism of Brown, Pickford, or Berhow.
    You completely whiff on the point. And I wouldn’t call brown and pickford guards. Certainly not the latter. Need more of Brown’s size and athleticism on the roster. This is only one of the issues. Another is the way he plays them and also his complete ignoring of a post game. As far as watching others. I do . But I’m a UNI grad so care
    Last edited by Mudrafan; 01-06-2019, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• in_the_stands
    replied
    Originally posted by sivert View Post
    McCould and Croft would both be helpful this year. At least the McCloud we thought we were getting. I know it only matters what we got, but in terms of judgment about recruiting, McCloud was a good get.
    Yup. McCloud was supposed to be an experienced penetrating guard that would help break down defenses. Don't know who's to blame for his crash & burn, but the more he played the more confused he seemed about what he was supposed to be doing out there. Would have helped if he didn't struggle with jump shots, layups and free throws.

Leave a comment:

• SteinPizza
    replied
    If he doesn’t switch back to emphasizing defense, patient offense and taking good shots with more of a traditional lineup, he’ll be an assistant in Omaha in a couple yrs.
    Agreed on defense, but UNI’s best teams always had a penetrator, or at least someone who was a threat to take it to the rack. UNI, and any good team who wants to do something nationally, needs a couple of those guys every year, not just occasionally. You can stress all the patient offense you want, but a lack of athletic guys who can create opportunity for themselves and others is what our last few bad teams have lacked (badly lacked too).

Leave a comment:

• sivert
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X