WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 16 Illinois State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mudrafan
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post

A home win against Drake would be huge. That is where we are at right now.
    Not really but yes

Leave a comment:

• UNIGrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
    If we get a W on Sunday against a Drake team that is playing really good basketball even without Norton, with a terrible matchup against McGlynn, all bets are off. That would be huge. We saw it last night, the league is WIDE OPEN.
    A home win against Drake would be huge. That is where we are at right now.

Leave a comment:

• 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain
    replied
    Looking forward to watching the game Sunday at home. I don't think the effort or what we got from our team in IL State is anything to complain about. Obviously other than not getting a W.

I also think we'll continue to see AJ grow up as a player. I thought his post game interview after Southern IL, showed growth when he admitted he needs to attack the rim more.

Leave a comment:

• Mudrafan
    replied
    Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

They went on the road against the most talented roster in the MVC, to a place they very rarely win, were down 10 at one point, and were within a point of overtime. Don't forget losing someone who is clearly one of the leaders on this team going down early in the second half. How can you not be encouraged by tonight? If you're feeling negative after tonight, that's on you. The goal is to be playing their best basketball in March, they're trending upwards, I'll take a loss now of they can respond and get 3 wins in St.Louis.
    Wasn’t talking about tonight. Reading is a skill

Leave a comment:

• sivert
    replied
    That was a good first half, followed by poor 10 minutes, then great 10 minutes.

I like Pickford trying for the steal on the inbound pass to Fayne. When Fayne got it near the hoop he was nearly 100%, even double teamed. So being in position for D didn't really help. It's worth going for the steal, even if it puts you out of position for D.

That commentator's voice reminded me of a chubby animal in a Disney movie from 1960. Had to switch to Rima.

Passing is improving with less (but still room for improvement)TOs.

Several good drives to the bucket or pull-up jumpers.

Missed bunnies.

Defense improving.

Injuries - yikes! Just when Miles was starting and contributing. And Biggie.

Dahl and Luke are both improving. Neither has much playing time before this year. Jake will be forced to play them a lot and we'll see what they can do.

Leave a comment:

• Wxcpanther
    replied
    If we get a W on Sunday against a Drake team that is playing really good basketball even without Norton, with a terrible matchup against McGlynn, all bets are off. That would be huge. We saw it last night, the league is WIDE OPEN.

Leave a comment:

• Wxcpanther
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Lost in all this is that we played well last night. Lots of movement and good spacing on offense and good defense considering that Fayne and Yarbrough are nightmares from a matchup perspective for us.

AJ was fantastic down the stretch. Ty looked like Ty for most of his 25 minutes. Haldeman got some offense going. Wyatt was who he always is.

Losing Miles hurts but Ty is healthy enough to take those minutes. I'm a helluva lot more encouraged than I was 10 days ago. Come home and get the next two and then we'll see if we can't get some momentum going.

Leave a comment:

• Born-a-Panther
    replied
    I don't have time or patience for anyone coming on here and whining or being negative after that game last night. Wentzien going down like that is heartbreaking for all involved. A nice kid that has worked his butt off to get where he is, and you could tell right away from the look on his face that he knew he was probably done.

Leave a comment:

• CyCarp
    replied
    I kind of think the team lost focus a bit when Wentzien went down. The way he acted, I think everybody knew it was bad. Illinois St went on a 9-2 run the next 2 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• achrist70
    replied
    Their leading scorer tonight should be in prison so it’s a typical Redbird team in the Mullen era

Leave a comment:

• CyCarp
    replied
    Feel awful for Miles, he was really playing well. Doing a good job penetrating and getting offensive boards. That one hurts. On the bright side, I think Pickford is back. We played well, a few bad misses at the rim, couple bad bounces and it's a different game. Illinois St, as much as I hate the dirtballs, is good.

Leave a comment:

• MNpanthers
    replied
    Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
    One thing AJ and his father need to understand is that if he’s going to be allowed to pull the trigger as soon as he crosses half court and take a million nba 3s per game with many coming early in the shot clock with two or less passes, then he’d better plan on making 40% or more or he is going to be open to a great deal of criticism. His game is like many in the nba that get ran out of town due to selfish play and ineffectiveness. At times, it’s hard to watch
    The only thing I didn't like about his game tonight was a couple bad turnovers and he airmailed a floater driving to the hoop. Freshman mistakes.

AJ hasn't looked even a little bit selfish. You're completely naive if you don't think coach Jake has been encouraging him to play that way

Leave a comment:

• Wxcpanther
    replied
    Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

You may be waiting for a couple of years the way this looks
    They went on the road against the most talented roster in the MVC, to a place they very rarely win, were down 10 at one point, and were within a point of overtime. Don't forget losing someone who is clearly one of the leaders on this team going down early in the second half. How can you not be encouraged by tonight? If you're feeling negative after tonight, that's on you. The goal is to be playing their best basketball in March, they're trending upwards, I'll take a loss now of they can respond and get 3 wins in St.Louis.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    They're 99% sure Miles is an ACL tear. He's done and Jake was really broken up about it.

We've got 8 scholarship players for the next month. Less than ideal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X