WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phyfe done for the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phyfe done for the year

Article in the DM Register this morning. Hoping the best for this great young man.

UNI’s Phyfe done for the year

CEDAR FALLS, Ia. — What’s been assumed is now official regarding Austin Phyfe. The Northern Iowa forward (vasovagal syncope) is done for the year and the Panthers will apply for a medical redshirt, coach Ben Jacobson announced after Saturday’s 58-51 loss to Southern Illinois. “We won’t see him again, so we’ll put in for the redshirt,” Jacobson said. “That isn’t our decision — it’s got to be OK’d through the conference office. “He’s doing OK here the last couple days, but it hasn’t changed a lot since we got back from the (Old Dominion) trip. That’s the last time we talked about it after we had been back for about two weeks. It had been a struggle for him. It hasn’t gotten a lot better.”

The vasovagal syncope — described as a sudden drop in heart rate and blood pressure leading to fainting, often in reaction to a stressful trigger — has kept Phyfe fully sidelined since Dec. 1. But he hasn’t played more than 18 minutes in any game this season. The Panthers had hoped for a more stable schedule after a rugged nonconference start would ease Phyfe’s symptoms, but nothing has improved. Phyfe’s medical redshirt application should be straightforward. To qualify, a player must appear in less than 30 percent of that year’s games while also not playing in the season’s second half.

— Dargan Southard

I'd think he's possibly done with hoops period, unless they can figure out a way to manage those symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
      I'd think he's possibly done with hoops period, unless they can figure out a way to manage those symptoms.
      That is my fear as well. If they have no idea how to control this now, what changes a year from now?
      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

That is my fear as well. If they have no idea how to control this now, what changes a year from now?
        Yea, I really wonder if he has an unusually bad case of it or what. I don't know anything about it, but a quick Google search says it usually resolves "days to weeks". I think it's been at least 4 months at this point.
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

So we know Phyfe is going for a redshirt, but Miles just posted to Twitter that he will apply for a medical redshirt as well. Not sure the likelihood that he gets one, but if Grant Gibbs played like 12 years, you never know.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Miles may have a case based on so few minutes last year. Compliance wouldn't be wasting their time if there wasn't a chance. Would also help if he didn't play much during his DII year and I don't know that answer
            #MACtion

Comment

Article in the DSM Register today indicates Norton from Drake will apply for a medical as well. He's played a lot more minutes over the years than Miles, so it's worth a shot.

Comment

These kind of comments really bother me.

You think he's probably done? Based on what? Are you a doctor? Have you talked to him or his family?

It's 2019. Modern medicine is pretty good at managing health when given time. Let's not go over the top negative with no evidence to support it.
                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

These kind of comments really bother me.

You think he's probably done? Based on what? Are you a doctor? Have you talked to him or his family?

It's 2019. Modern medicine is pretty good at managing health when given time. Let's not go over the top negative with no evidence to support it.
                  WTF? Maybe you should try decaf, Mr. Bothered. Just wondering if you know the difference between 'possibly' and 'probably'? Here's a helpful link https://www.dictionary.com/

And yes, I am a doctor, I wrote this article. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25051127

Next time, try keeping your outrage to yourself.

Comment

WTF? Maybe you should try decaf, Mr. Bothered. Just wondering if you know the difference between 'possibly' and 'probably'? Here's a helpful link https://www.dictionary.com/

And yes, I am a doctor, I wrote this article. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25051127

Now I'm really bothered.

Maybe put a little thought into it before you suggest a kid who's worked for something his whole life might have to give it up. Without having any real info.

How would you like it if somebody popped off that kind of comment about your kid...on a public board?
                    Last edited by Blue42; 01-12-2019, 11:18 AM.
                    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

I truly would not give a crap.

I hope he comes back and has the greatest career a UNI post ever had. But I know that tall people and heart conditions can sometimes be a very serious problem.

And I have every bit as much of a right as you to have an opinion and speculate on it. Don't like it? Don't read my posts. Put me on ignore. Please.

Comment

I'd like proof you wrote that paper please.

You're passing it off as you did. Please provide proof .

Comment

E

Are you Dr. Stuart Rosenbush or Dr. Jeremy Parker? Either have distinguishing characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                            E

Are you Dr. Stuart Rosenbush or Dr. Jeremy Parker? Either have distinguishing characteristics.
                            You know, for some reason I have a tough time thinking someone that went too Illinois that graduated med school in 1977, is a top cardiologist in the country, and a professor of medicine at a high profile med school in Chicago

Or

Someone that graduated from the South Carolina school of medicine in 2007 and practices in South Carolina

would have much interest in UNI athletics....or fit the posting profile of ITS.

I'd think in December 2006 when ITS joined he would be more focused on finishing medical school in South Carolina or completing medical breakthroughs in Chicago than posting about UNI
                            Last edited by clenz; 01-13-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

You'd also think someone with that level of expertise wouldn't be as surprised at the following topic as he was... and would have added much more than anecdotal evidence.

If anything you'd have expected him to give a quick lesson on the topic.

https://www.panthernation.com/forum/...or-concussions

Last edited by clenz; 01-13-2019, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X