WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 17 Drake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
    Well no one stepped up on offense, but other than some rebounding issues the defense was near perfect the last five minutes.

Wish we wouldn't go cold in the last five minutes like that though. Same thing happened vs. SIU. SOMEONE has to make a play.

But at this point beggars can't be choosers.
    Beggars can’t be choosers, correct. Stretches of today were some really ugly basketball. A win is a win though.

Comment

We got a win against a respectable opponent. I'll take it. This team is leaps and bounds more competitive than they were to start the season

Comment

As BC mentioned previously we have only 8 scholarship players. I can't see how we can make it through a valley conference season with only 8 people playing. Can any of the walk on's give us 2 or 3 minutes a game?

Comment

Couple of those big TE’s from football team would at least be able to bang and grab a rebound.

Comment

Originally posted by skydog0784 View Post

It appears based on the box score only that Trae or Luke seem to be playing the best - solid offensive numbers & hitting the boards. Seems like Green and Lohaus are playing pretty inconsistent ball.
            It’s because there seems to be no accountability for Green. He doesn’t think like a PG. he thinks scoring himself first and last. Beyond that, he’s never seen a shot he doesn’t like. That’s fine if you consistently deliver, but that hasn’t been happening. Lohaus is athletically challenged so in certain games it gets highlighted

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
              I can't see anything about JD's play that would explain why we haven't played him more.

His big body is a handful for other teams.

And he works his arse off.
              Jake doesn’t like playing his bigs. Never has. He has always had a soft spot for unathletic guards though

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                As BC mentioned previously we have only 8 scholarship players. I can't see how we can make it through a valley conference season with only 8 people playing. Can any of the walk on's give us 2 or 3 minutes a game?
                Yes. If the matchup is right Lincoln can give a couple here and there. Holterhaus and Haynes are practice bodies only.

I also totally disagree about telling AJ to dial it back. You never, ever tell a shooter at his level to pull back. One of these nights the light is really going to turn on and he'll be a consistent 45% 3 point shooter. We forget that today was only his 17th college game.
                #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                  This is going to be the tough part. Imagine if Berhow didn't get his hardship approved to be able to play this year... I read that Biggie's injury could be 3 weeks, could be 5. Even when he's healthy we're looking at 9 guys, and praying that nobody else goes down. We really need every single guy to step up, and see what happens from there. It'd really be nice if Jake could get Conrey a handful of minutes here and there to rest some other guys, but I guess we'll see
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by skydog0784 View Post
                    Held on barely, UNI goes scoreless the final 6:18, that's not going to cut it most nights. Thank goodness Drake was equally cold (or really good defense).
                    That's not right and neither is the post right below it saying neither team scored in the final 5:40. We went bucketless, not scoreless. We scored 2 points with 5 seconds left, did neither of you watch til the end?
                    GO PANTHERS!

Comment

I was following the gamecast app. on ESPN.com, and it actually posted the final as 55-54. Saw a short time later that it was actually 57-54. Didn't bother changing it since there were about 7 posts on the whole game thread at that point, and the point was essentially the same.
                      Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                      Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                      - George Halas

Comment

The Defense looked good yesterday and so did the offense in stretches. I was pleased with what we got from Luke and from Dahl. Both were effective defenders and did what they could offensively.

Dahl is OK but we do need an O'Rean, Singleton type of guy to do all the little/gritty things in the paint... we need our gaurds to try and get all the way to the basket sometimes...attach the rim...draw fouls.

My only criticism of AJ's shot selection is sometimes he settles for shots early that he could get anytime. He's a good enough player that he can create space for a pull up jumper pretty much anytime he wants. Not sure what keeps him from trying to get to the rim ... if it's just he needs to be a little stronger to play through contact in the paint.

Since the calendar turned to 2019 the team has been playing better. We'll see how we look Wed. Night vs. ISUb

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

Jake doesn’t like playing his bigs. Never has. He has always had a soft spot for unathletic guards though
                          You keep saying this and it isn't true. Eric Coleman, Grant Stout, Jordan E, Adam Koch, Lucas O' Rear, Seth Tuttle, Jake Koch, Ben Koch, Marvin Singleton. Hell he played Klint like 40 minutes a game last year even when he was basically producing nothing. This is patently not true. Fake news.

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
                            Neither team scores even 1 point in the last 5:40. Wow.
                            Haldeman's two free throws with five seconds left gave us the three point margin.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post

You keep saying this and it isn't true. Eric Coleman, Grant Stout, Jordan E, Adam Koch, Lucas O' Rear, Seth Tuttle, Jake Koch, Ben Koch, Marvin Singleton. Hell he played Klint like 40 minutes a game last year even when he was basically producing nothing. This is patently not true. Fake news.
                              You’ve helped prove my point for me. Thank you. Eglseder only averaged 17 mpg during his time at UNI and Coleman 23 so both were underutilized. Many of them listed were not posts. That’s what I was referring to so o rear, singleton, and karlson are not in the discussion. Stout and Adam Koch and to a lesser degree Jake Koch were good enough and played heavy minutes. I was originally referring to the lack of time for Dahl. But I’ve noticed a trend through the yrs where many bigs, centers or posts simply don’t get committed to by the staff. Either they never find the floor in the first place or are limited in how they are used. It’s a head scratcher to me

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

It’s because there seems to be no accountability for Green. He doesn’t think like a PG. he thinks scoring himself first and last. Beyond that, he’s never seen a shot he doesn’t like. That’s fine if you consistently deliver, but that hasn’t been happening. Lohaus is athletically challenged so in certain games it gets highlighted
                                Agreed, Jake actually owes it to Green to put him in a position to succeed. That means, moving him off the ball and limiting his shots to good looks within the flow of the offense.

We need a PG that can control the offense, break down the defense, dribble drive and kick out, etc. I can't believe only a few people either see this or refuse to acknowledge this.

Comment

Working...
                                X