WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 22--@ Loyola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

We don’t drive the ball. No quickness, ballhandlers, pg would rather shoot from perimeter, etc. you’ll never get to the line by chucking perimeter shots. You have to work in and out and penetrate
    We had 29 attempts inside the arc to their 32. Valley preseason player of the year had 6 points due to lock down defense we were able to play on their guards (read quick feet). Krautwig seemed tough to handle for P5 teams when they went to the FINAL FOUR last year.

I agree there could be a foul disparity but that was a little much. Several replays show Krautwig barely touched and they let the contact he gave to Luke go late in the game. It’s also that Treys third was a tricky tack foul which took him out of the game. And Luke’s 4th was pretty weak and gave Townes an and one after he blatantly traveled. We were up 6 at the time with just over 5 to play.

i don’t want to come across as a Hawk fan, we could have made some plays down the stretch and 2 made fgs inside the arc in second half is not a great stat. But 4 fouls in a D1 game is pretty crazy when we were called for 18 (generously 17 if you don’t count the last intentional one)

Comment

The whistles got them back in the game early in the 2nd half with 3 handout free throws by Custer on phantom fouls. Many of the calls they got were just them dribbling through traffic. We dribbled in traffic plenty and got nothin. Then, similar (but even worse) than at Valpo, our opponent seals the game with a guy with no business shooting a 3 that drains it. Frustrated, but not with our players as much as being put at a severe disadvantage by officiating, still hanging in, then a shake your head and throw your hands up play at the end to lose it. Excited to travel to Cedar Falls to see them play Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

Jake must have been kidnapped and stayed in the lockerroom the first half. Dal plays a ton in the first half. Scores six, several boards and steals and shuts down the 7 ft krautwig. Second half, he plays about 1 minute. Meanwhile, krautwig goes on for a career high 22 and we lose by 1. Dahl will never play for Ben Jacobsen. He has a 3.25 or so gpa and is a solid kid by all accounts. But Jake has proven over and over with Friedman and many others, they are there in scout team only. It’s a damn shame
        I agree Dahl played very well, but seemed like he was in a lot when Kruetwig was out, then Luke subbed in at the same time he came back in. Seemed like the opposite strategy may have worked.

Just weird that whoever coach has in at the 12 minute mark is who is going to play the entire rest of the game. Not always the same group, but once they’re established there are zero substitutions. Like maybe Berhow comes in even just for a couple minutes to give AJ and Spencer each a quick rest. Or offense/defense with Luke/Dahl especially after Luke picked up foul #4. We had timeouts to play with that would have allowed us to do that a little right?
        Last edited by UNI Ka-Bullseye; 01-30-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post

...And Luke’s 4th was pretty weak and gave Townes an and one after he blatantly traveled. We were up 6 at the time with just over 5 to play.
          100% agree. Another example of the whistle getting them back in the game. The margin for this team is too thin to withstand such a disparity.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
            UNI called for 17 fouls, Loyola - 4...WOW

Wow is right. That is unbelievable.

Comment

Man that game was a tough one to take. I went in with pretty tempered expectations but some cautious optimism, and then the 2nd half hit. I completely agree with most that have said Dahl has been incredibly solid for UNI this year. Love his work on defense in the post. Krautwig was completely ineffective against him. McDonnell offers the ability to stretch the floor. It just makes me wonder, are their conditioning issues with Dahl? Lack of understanding of what Jake wants to accomplish? If he develops the ability to pass out of the post more consistently, he could be a huge factor.

Outside of the bigs, Haldeman has really stepped up. Great defense and lights out from 3 the last few games. Berhow had been great up until tonight and Green still seems to be trying to figure things out which makes sense since he's a freshman.

I would just love to see this team run away with a win instead of seemingly hanging on for dear life for the last 10 minutes every time.

Comment

Another thing missed, Luke made a shot from the corner late in the first half he was only given two points. Personally to me it looks like he was behind the 3 point line. Neither of the official closest to the play gave a signal either 2 or 3 so I’m not sure what the bench is to think.

Does anyone know did they review this at half?

I truly don’t know the answer but this is pretty big in a one point final.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                  Another thing missed, Luke made a shot from the corner late in the first half he was only given two points. Personally to me it looks like he was behind the 3 point line. Neither of the official closest to the play gave a signal either 2 or 3 so I’m not sure what the bench is to think.

My son reminded me of this after the game was over. I was sure they were going to come back from halftime and we would have an extra point.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post

I reviewed it because the announcers called it a 3 but the score only went up 2. It should have been a 3. He jumped from behind the line and landed on the line. Lotta bad calls by the refs, but the worst calls were leaving Dahl out and leaving AJ in down the stretch. I knew after Luke hit three 3s in the second half Dahl would not see the floor again because that is what Jake loves his big men to do, shoot 3s. Doesn't matter if they are completely ineffective in the lane on O and D.
                    GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Loyola is #4 in the nation in fewest fouls called on them per game (13.9). Last night was ridiculous, but they do have a track record as a team that doesn't foul often. Probably not as big an anomaly as we're thinking.
                      Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                      Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                      - George Halas

Comment

The disparity in fouls is an anomaly but not the reason we lost. I think the tide turned about mid first half after Porter Moser went on a Fran tantrum. The refs were intimidated after that point.

Re JD. I think the bigger impact he has on playing defense is his strength and mass. He can push opposing big man out 5-6 feet. All that pushing and banging takes a toll on their energy and stamina. Weaker and tired miss a shot here and there. Don't get a rebound or dive for a loose ball. All those things add up.

Bottom line is were improving. We all know the Valley is up for grabs in St Louis.

Comment

JD doesn't work against Krutwig because pushing him away from the bucket (which JD is very good at) turns Krutwig's game into a face up game and JD simply doesn't have the quickness to matchup with him when he faces up.

Look at what else happened for us to lose last night. Skokna, shooting 15% on the year from 3, goes 3 for 4 and leaving him was exactly the right move. Krutwig hits his first career 3 pointer on a late clock desperation shot. We had a 3 pointer counted as a two. Berhow crippled by touch fouls. 19 free throw attempts to 4 All this happens on their 'homecoming'.

Positives--Low turnovers again (8) and three of those were offensive fouls. Thought we really answered the bell after the tough start. Good floor games from Spencer and AJ (a couple shots I didn't love but 2:1 A:TO). Luke played as well as he's played. Ty is getting to the point where he looks like Ty again and would have rather seen him down the stretch than Wyatt. Nice group effort on Custer to hold him to 6.
                          #MACtion

Comment

The valley stinks, we return most of our lineup next year, add some bigger stronger freshman than usual, hopefully get all our injured guys back, and we should be able to establish some leadership on the team

It seems like their is an opportunity to really dominate the valley next year. Right now we are pretty much in the middle of the valley competitively and the range between the top and bottom is very small.

I think this team could put together a run this year, we've improved tons, but that's my heart talking. My brains telling me to be patient

Comment

6-3 on the backside is totally realistic. Better teams at home, bottom teams on the road.

I think we'd all feel totally different right now if we'd have gotten either one of the SIU games.
                              #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                                6-3 on the backside is totally realistic. Better teams at home, bottom teams on the road.

I think we'd all feel totally different right now if we'd have gotten either one of the SIU games.
                                If we win 6 more, we avoid the PIG. If we win 5 more, we have a 15% chance of PIG.

That was a good game. Tough ending. Krutwig can score. Tough kid.
                                Our guys are getting good on D. Even in the post, D wasn't bad. Krutwig is just tough to stop.

The fouls were very frustrating, but only a very few seemed like they were not fouls. Most of the battling in the paint was on their offense. (And Brown got blocked by a LU kid, but Brown had extended his arm. Brown benefited from that one - I thought it could have gone against us.)

I would be interested in an Offensive efficiency and Defensive efficiency analysis for JD-v-Krutwig and Luke-v-Krutwig.

Comment

Working...
                                X