WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 23- Vs. Missouri State

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by run&blade View Post
    A few years ago the Kool Aid crowd said Gonzaga of the Midwest. Tonight a team with a losing record beat a team with a .500 record in a league that is no good.

    You keep moving the the bar down so you can pretend it’s all good.

    Million dollars a year.

    For the record I didn’t post until I was called out.
    You say we keep lowering the bar, perhaps it's just you moving the goalposts. "We shoot too many 3s" *they take 9 tonight* "we don't have any guys that drive the ball, only chuckers" *we constantly drive the ball tonight and shoot 18 free throws*, but then suddenly the team that was in 3rd place in the conference before tonight, had won 3 straight, and held the top team in the conference to 35 points isn't very good so that way we can still be negative about a team that has improved every night and is a serious contender in St.Louis, let alone what they're capable of next year with everyone back.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by run&blade View Post

      Mo State. The great measuring stick for program excellence.
      Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! ......R&B!!!!

      The Dick Vitale of PN.com and super UNI fan!!!!

      Keep doing what u do brother. Always an asset to the cause for the Panthers u are!

      (Just kidding...actually u suck in a huge way)
      Winning is more fun than losing.

      Comment


      • #33
        Good game to watch. Defense rounding into shape. Offense finding new ways to work. Spencer has his mojo back. Not bad for a team with 8 scholarship players. (Well now 9.) Bears will be hard to beat in Springfield.
        Josh Mahoney, Ellie Blankenship, Adam Koch, Jacqui Kalen, David Johnson, Madison Weekly = Golden Panthers on and off the court.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by catsize View Post
          Wish we had a few guards that were capable of getting to the rim for layups rather than relying on the three so much......
          Sounds like a good win tonight, but didn’t have a way to watch or listen. Was the above the story, that we hit a bunch of 3s?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

            Why does UNI winning a game make you unhappy?
            Because he'd rather be "right" rather than just let people enjoy something. It's an attitude that unfortunately keeps permeating society more and more, particularly with sports. Everybody's got to prove their ability as an "analyst" to show everyone how "smart" they are.
            Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
            Victory for U-N-I!

            Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
            - George Halas

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

              Sounds like a good win tonight, but didn’t have a way to watch or listen. Was the above the story, that we hit a bunch of 3s?
              Only took 9 for the game. Finished 5 for 9.

              Tons and tons of driving to the bucket and cutting to the rim, especially from Brown and Pickford. McDonnell had another nice game inside as well. Haldeman was very good for the last 8 minutes or so. AJ did some really nice things and hit a couple really tough mid-range contested jumpers.

              Just need to get Berhow going again. The last 3 games have really been a struggle for him but he's totally a Max effort guy when he's out there. I'm not going to wade into the Dahl discussion other than to say that I believe his minutes are being managed correctly right now as to not overexpose him.

              Big week ahead.
              #MACtion

              Comment


              • #37
                Spencer has really been playing away almost level lately, and with a ton of confidence. McDonnell also. A lot of guys making a better effort to get to the rim too. Let hope this game is the beginning of a nice run, the schedule sets up pretty favorably.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

                Comment


                • #38
                  When Luke and Spencer are playing well, we are a different team offensively.

                  Starting to see improvment from Tywhon too. Getting over his injury perhaps? Expecting a big year from him next year.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Just because it just crossed my mind, Jake stay with the 4 guard lineup next year, or go back to a more traditional look? Obviously it's a moot point if Phyfe is out still, but a starting 5 of AJ, Za, Trae, Luke, and Phyfe is ridiculously good offensively and still a net positive defensively next year with AJ having another year in the program. If we stay 4 guards I would imagine it's AJ, Trae, Za, then likely Spencer and Luke still at the 5.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I think a very encouraging game.
                      Defense was good. Held them to 59 pts (season ave 72).

                      We won, in spite of them doing the things that seem to give us trouble (pressure the 3, full court press, getting ball in paint).

                      AJ, Isaiah, and Spencer are driving to hoop.

                      Things to work on:
                      JD-catch the quick pass in the lane. Be ready for it when a teammate drives in.
                      Luke, Ty, Trae, when you receive a pass that breaks the press, and the lane is empty, go score.
                      When we break the press and then stop and wait for the rest of the offense to come down, there is 15 sec left for a play. That’s a good payoff for the other team and they’re going to keep pressing. Have to take advantage of 2 on 2 moments after the press and get the easy 2. Then they will have to stop pressing.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

                        Why does UNI winning a game make you unhappy?
                        Do you think this is what the university had in mind when they gave Jake his current contract?

                        add in the fact WSU and Creighton are gone.

                        I want the program to recruit talent that dominates the Valley (shouldn’t be hard with WSU gone and all of Illinois in budget hell) and can occasionally scare a power team. Uni gets run over by power teams now. The last two Iowa games were like courses in “you have no business being on the same court”.

                        You are the minority, I am not. I talk to season ticket holders and they all agree, the talent isn’t there. I go to games and see thousands of empty seats.

                        I see a student section that looks more like a small high school team.

                        Rip on me I don’t care. Frankly most people’s posting on here is so far separated from reality it’s almost laughable.

                        The only thing UNI has going for it is the Valley is god awful on top end teams. The Valley tournament is wide open because everybody stinks.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by run&blade View Post

                          Do you think this is what the university had in mind when they gave Jake his current contract?

                          add in the fact WSU and Creighton are gone.

                          I want the program to recruit talent that dominates the Valley (shouldn’t be hard with WSU gone and all of Illinois in budget hell) and can occasionally scare a power team. Uni gets run over by power teams now. The last two Iowa games were like courses in “you have no business being on the same court”.

                          You are the minority, I am not. I talk to season ticket holders and they all agree, the talent isn’t there. I go to games and see thousands of empty seats.

                          I see a student section that looks more like a small high school team.

                          Rip on me I don’t care. Frankly most people’s posting on here is so far separated from reality it’s almost laughable.

                          The only thing UNI has going for it is the Valley is god awful on top end teams. The Valley tournament is wide open because everybody stinks.
                          We played very well last night and earned a very important win. Glad you enjoyed it.
                          UNI FIGHT

                          Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                          iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post

                            Because he'd rather be "right" rather than just let people enjoy something. It's an attitude that unfortunately keeps permeating society more and more, particularly with sports. Everybody's got to prove their ability as an "analyst" to show everyone how "smart" they are.
                            This really pisses me off. Unless you 💯 support whatever the product is, you are considered a “non-fan” and outcast. Do you really think we’d waste our time coming on here yr after yr if we didn’t care? I am an alum and have followed the program for a lifetime and am deeply invested. It doesn’t mean I don’t have my own opinions on how things are going. I’m closer to R & B thinking. Recruiting has not kept up and we are way too reliant on the 3. The fact that he’s hesitant to play Dahl extended minutes isn’t so much about the player, but is a strong sign about his philosophy. He has gotten away from traditional looking lineups that relied on looking to score in the post first and drive to the basket to get to the foul line to the current philosophy of being heavily reliant on 3s. The latter creates very inconsistent teams and performances and we’ve been on the roller coaster. He needs to get back to recruiting and playing traditional lineups that played differently if we are to get back to the past

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

                              This really pisses me off. Unless you 💯 support whatever the product is, you are considered a “non-fan” and outcast. Do you really think we’d waste our time coming on here yr after yr if we didn’t care? I am an alum and have followed the program for a lifetime and am deeply invested. It doesn’t mean I don’t have my own opinions on how things are going. I’m closer to R & B thinking. Recruiting has not kept up and we are way too reliant on the 3. The fact that he’s hesitant to play Dahl extended minutes isn’t so much about the player, but is a strong sign about his philosophy. He has gotten away from traditional looking lineups that relied on looking to score in the post first and drive to the basket to get to the foul line to the current philosophy of being heavily reliant on 3s. The latter creates very inconsistent teams and performances and we’ve been on the roller coaster. He needs to get back to recruiting and playing traditional lineups that played differently if we are to get back to the past
                              You and R&B come on here and insult people for being optimistic about the program and trusting that the coach that has brought us so much success knows what he is doing and that we will get back to where we were. That's what we have a problem with. I don't doubt that you're a fan that cares about the program and your entitled to your own opinion but it doesn't mean we have to put up with you being irredeemably hostile

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

                                This really pisses me off. Unless you 💯 support whatever the product is, you are considered a “non-fan” and outcast. Do you really think we’d waste our time coming on here yr after yr if we didn’t care? I am an alum and have followed the program for a lifetime and am deeply invested. It doesn’t mean I don’t have my own opinions on how things are going. I’m closer to R & B thinking. Recruiting has not kept up and we are way too reliant on the 3. The fact that he’s hesitant to play Dahl extended minutes isn’t so much about the player, but is a strong sign about his philosophy. He has gotten away from traditional looking lineups that relied on looking to score in the post first and drive to the basket to get to the foul line to the current philosophy of being heavily reliant on 3s. The latter creates very inconsistent teams and performances and we’ve been on the roller coaster. He needs to get back to recruiting and playing traditional lineups that played differently if we are to get back to the past
                                I have agreed with R&B in the past and don't think he's completely out in left field about things. I don't consider anyone a "non-fan" or "outcast" if everything isn't sunshine and puppies. HOWEVER, this constant barrage of negative BS has got to stop, or at least slow down. If you're not enjoying the product (this is for entertainment purposes; let's be real), do SOMETHING ELSE. Coming on here and expressing dissatisfaction with the product one, two, three times is fine - we all understand what you're trying to say by now. Doing this after EVERY GAME (including WINS for God's sake) gets VERY tiresome. These are young men, some just out of high school, and they're giving it what they can to try and help the team win. Feel the coach is overpaid? Call and e-mail your AD and voice your displeasure. Ask yourself this question: do you want Jake fired for underperformance/lack of recruiting? Be honest. Take a stand. Do something about it. As much as I might disagree with that, at least a person is putting their money where their mouth is in that scenario.

                                And I will stick with my original point - some people would rather be "right" than let anyone enjoy something. I can't imagine what makes somebody like that, but I feel bad for the people in anyone's life like that - if a basketball team of young people not reaching your expectations gives you 24-hour negative feelings, even after wins, what do you do after something serious really happens in your life or someone lets you down?

                                I have been a UNI fan through thick and thin since I attended the university in the early 90s - I will ride out this disappointing period in our history just like several other disappointing times we've had the past 30 years, and I will be happy when we get back to playing solid basketball again - I don't think that's too far away. I will engage in constructive criticism when it's warranted, but I will also celebrate when things do go well and the team works towards accomplishing what we'd all like to see.
                                Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                                Victory for U-N-I!

                                Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                                - George Halas

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X