WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 23- Vs. Missouri State

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been encouraged by the recent run of play. I think if we can get healthy, we have a chance to be pretty good next year. I have been really impressed with how much Luke McDonnell has improved defensively and offensively close to the basket.

But this year isn't over yet either. If we can get into the top 6, anything is possible. It isn't gonna be easy. Most of the easiest MVC games (on paper) have already been played. We are going to have to beat some of the better teams in the league at home and get some wins on the road against some of the lower teams if we want to be in the top half. Getting swept by SIU hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post

You and R&B come on here and insult people for being optimistic about the program and trusting that the coach that has brought us so much success knows what he is doing and that we will get back to where we were. That's what we have a problem with. I don't doubt that you're a fan that cares about the program and your entitled to your own opinion but it doesn't mean we have to put up with you being irredeemably hostile
      Hostile? How is giving opinions hostile? Are you related to jacobsen? Are we in high school? It’s a business. It’s about wins and losses, titles and tournament runs. I love a lot of things he does. I love the fact he tries to challenge the team by playing a schedule. That is a tremendous trait UNI has always had. In football, we recruit to a high level. I don’t feel it is happening in basketball. Especially when you consider the loss of Wichita and Creighton. It’s our league to lose and we’ve managed to let it walk past us. It’s obvious we’re too reliant on the 3 the last several seasons and have not recruted pt guards or slashing wings to draw fouls and create easier shots for the offense. We also haven’t been as tough down low or committed to the post. Instead, moved to a softer, more Euro style. I’ve seen this coming for a while and have been commenting on it. It shouldn’t have happened. They are making progress but shouldn’t have been here in the first place. We should be more established in that we are top three annually in the league

Comment

1. Nice gutty win. Normally the Panthers are the reason for the low scoring, but this time it was the Bears with their quasi-press the whole game (they ramped it up at the end when in comeback mode) that requires us to take 8 seconds every possession to get the ball across, combined with their weave of at least 3-4 dribble handoffs each offensive possession before attempting any offense (weird, but is visually better, and with the same result, than one guy just standing up top dribbling). Ironic to hear Coach talk postgame about how challenging it is to play against a team that really wants to limit possessions...
        2. AJ was having a nice 2nd half and was starting to get going offensively with a couple nice pull-up mid-range jumpers, and only one TO in the game. Interesting that he was left out of the final 10 minute rotation in favor of Lohaus, especially since Wyatt wasn’t really involved at all in breaking the press (mostly Spencer, Brown, Pickford, with the offense often running through Luke once past halfcourt), and actually didn’t even touch the ball that much. So was it for defensive purposes, or that if AJ is in there would be more expectation to touch the ball on the press break or to initiate the offense? Either way, so much for the idea of him just getting to do whatever he wants. Hopefully he’s gaining confidence and will really be able to help us avoid our offensive lulls down the stretch.
        3. Spencer was (and has been) clutch. He’s certainly not afraid of any moment, but I also don’t often get the feeling he is trying to do too much.

Comment

Loved seeing Haldeman step up last night. He has made big shots before, but he looked like he really wanted the ball in his hands when it mattered. Love it.

Comment

Still waiting for anything positive from our resident cranks.

They remind me of the cynics in the balcony on the Muppet Show. Except Statler and Waldorf are clever and funny. So, never mind.

Comment

They are more like Animal. Always beating on the same drums, but not saying anything that is coherent.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Do you think this is what the university had in mind when they gave Jake his current contract?

add in the fact WSU and Creighton are gone.

I want the program to recruit talent that dominates the Valley (shouldn’t be hard with WSU gone and all of Illinois in budget hell) and can occasionally scare a power team. Uni gets run over by power teams now. The last two Iowa games were like courses in “you have no business being on the same court”.

You are the minority, I am not. I talk to season ticket holders and they all agree, the talent isn’t there. I go to games and see thousands of empty seats.

I see a student section that looks more like a small high school team.

Rip on me I don’t care. Frankly most people’s posting on here is so far separated from reality it’s almost laughable.

The only thing UNI has going for it is the Valley is god awful on top end teams. The Valley tournament is wide open because everybody stinks.
                Answer. The. Question.

Why are you unhappy when UNI wins a game?

I'll answer it for you; you do not like Jake and you never have. You have never given him credit for anything, for whatever reason or reasons. That is why you almost never posted on the basketball forum during our best years with him, and when you did post it was exclusively to be a troll.

Of course you want the program to recruit talent that "dominates the Valley". Duh. No sh!t. Every single college basketball fan wants their team to recruit well enough so that they "dominate" their conference competition. The thing is when we did have the talent to dominate the MVC back in '10, '15, and even '16 when we won the MVC as the 4 seed, you never posted anything positive about that. When we bring in a Top 100 talent in AJ Green, you're just dismissive because it's an assistant's coach's son. I do not care about how many games you tell us you go to, you are NOT a fan.

As for your assertion about how we get "run over" by power teams now, despite the mediocre results of the last couple of seasons, it's worth noting that we did beat Power 5 teams like Arizona State, Oklahoma, and an NCAA tournament team in North Carolina State. Of course, since you're not a fan and don't pay attention when we win I'm not surprised you missed that detail.

I think you're the one in the minority, since most people who post on here and go to the games are actually fans.

Thing is, I actually agree with you on the lack of talent on the team. I was very critical of the program during the non-conference season and specifically mentioned the downward trend the program is on. And if we do go 3-8 in the non-con against Division I competition again next year I'll be even more critical. It does appears that much criticized (and rightfully so) junior class of Luke, Justin, and Zay is starting to play better and is finally paying dividends. But since I'm actually a fan I can balance out my criticism with praise. Your next positive post about UNI basketball will be your first.

I'm glad you don't care that I rip on you. I will keep on doing it then in that case. I hope we go on a long winning streak here; not just because I'm actually a fan, but also because that will mean we don't have to put up with you for a while, since you rarely post when we do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

Hostile? How is giving opinions hostile? Are you related to jacobsen? Are we in high school? It’s a business. It’s about wins and losses, titles and tournament runs. I love a lot of things he does. I love the fact he tries to challenge the team by playing a schedule. That is a tremendous trait UNI has always had. In football, we recruit to a high level. I don’t feel it is happening in basketball. Especially when you consider the loss of Wichita and Creighton. It’s our league to lose and we’ve managed to let it walk past us. It’s obvious we’re too reliant on the 3 the last several seasons and have not recruted pt guards or slashing wings to draw fouls and create easier shots for the offense. We also haven’t been as tough down low or committed to the post. Instead, moved to a softer, more Euro style. I’ve seen this coming for a while and have been commenting on it. It shouldn’t have happened. They are making progress but shouldn’t have been here in the first place. We should be more established in that we are top three annually in the league
                  Be honest; Do, or do you not, semi-regularly call people names and insult their intelligence when they disagree with you?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

Be honest; Do, or do you not, semi-regularly call people names and insult their intelligence when they disagree with you?
                    If Names were called, then I’ll be the first to admit it was out if bounds. Not to make it right, but if it happened, it likely was after an emotional loss. I come here to vent. Instead of kicking the dog or slapping the wife around, i find this more acceptable to most. Although some of you take it just as personal and that’s odd to me.

Comment

If Names were called, then I’ll be the first to admit it was out if bounds. Not to make it right, but if it happened, it likely was after an emotional loss. I come here to vent. Instead of kicking the dog or slapping the wife around, i find this more acceptable to most. Although some of you take it just as personal and that’s odd to me.

Now that you are in a mood to answer questions, how about Chippewa's? "Why are you unhappy when UNI wins a game?" And I might add, "Are you happy that UNI won last night?" As a fan, I sure am.

Comment

Fair enough, and I do appreciate the quick response. I'm certainly glad you don't physically abuse either your pet or your wife instead of going off here on PantherNation.com. But, if you are quick to dish it out, you have to be able to take it as well.

Comment

Well, then we should just be glad to be doing our part to prevent domestic abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post

Well, then we should just be glad to be doing our part to prevent domestic abuse.
                            The fact that those thoughts even cross his mind is deeply disturbing..
                            Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
                            Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
                            UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Now that you are in a mood to answer questions, how about Chippewa's? "Why are you unhappy when UNI wins a game?" And I might add, "Are you happy that UNI won last night?" As a fan, I sure am.
                              Because I’m a deeper thinker than that

Comment

Because I’m a deeper thinker than that
                                Perhaps you're just an overthinker...it's sports. Win, good. Lose, bad. They're playing well, doing all of the things that you were mad they weren't doing earlier in the year. Driving the ball, sitting AJ when he isn't playing well, not shooting a bunch of 3s. AND YOU'RE STILL ON HERE BEING NEGATIVE ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WILL NOT CHANGE IN THE NEXT MONTH AND A HALF. We don't have enough talent to win in the MVC, clearly the coaching staff who has a little more experience competing in the MVC disagrees with you. They're 2 games out of first place with 8 games to go. The offense is better than it was a month ago, the defense is better than it was a month ago. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT???

Comment

Working...
                                X