WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 23- Vs. Missouri State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catsize View Post

The fact that those thoughts even cross his mind is deeply disturbing..
    Are you an accountant? Loosen your tie a little...Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
      They’re 2 games out of first place with 8 games to go. The offense is better than it was a month ago, the defense is better than it was a month ago. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT???
      What more do we want??? How about better recruiting to take advantage of a really mediocre MVC right now? I like some of the things I’ve seen lately, but damn, it was there to be had.

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post

I have agreed with R&B in the past and don't think he's completely out in left field about things. I don't consider anyone a "non-fan" or "outcast" if everything isn't sunshine and puppies. HOWEVER, this constant barrage of negative BS has got to stop, or at least slow down. If you're not enjoying the product (this is for entertainment purposes; let's be real), do SOMETHING ELSE. Coming on here and expressing dissatisfaction with the product one, two, three times is fine - we all understand what you're trying to say by now. Doing this after EVERY GAME (including WINS for God's sake) gets VERY tiresome. These are young men, some just out of high school, and they're giving it what they can to try and help the team win. Feel the coach is overpaid? Call and e-mail your AD and voice your displeasure. Ask yourself this question: do you want Jake fired for underperformance/lack of recruiting? Be honest. Take a stand. Do something about it. As much as I might disagree with that, at least a person is putting their money where their mouth is in that scenario.

And I will stick with my original point - some people would rather be "right" than let anyone enjoy something. I can't imagine what makes somebody like that, but I feel bad for the people in anyone's life like that - if a basketball team of young people not reaching your expectations gives you 24-hour negative feelings, even after wins, what do you do after something serious really happens in your life or someone lets you down?

I have been a UNI fan through thick and thin since I attended the university in the early 90s - I will ride out this disappointing period in our history just like several other disappointing times we've had the past 30 years, and I will be happy when we get back to playing solid basketball again - I don't think that's too far away. I will engage in constructive criticism when it's warranted, but I will also celebrate when things do go well and the team works towards accomplishing what we'd all like to see.
        Very well expressed, 95.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

Very well expressed, 95.
          I agree ! Ya sometimes it sucks to see your team lose but you have to look to the future this team will be a great team ! and even if their not we still support our Panthers good and bad ! Thats what makes the UNI fan base the best in the state ! GO Panthers !
          Feel the Power of Purple !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

What more do we want??? How about better recruiting to take advantage of a really mediocre MVC right now? I like some of the things I’ve seen lately, but damn, it was there to be had.
            And again, there's absolutely nothing that can be done about the quality of recruiting until after the season is over, so why keep coming on thread after thread saying "things won't get better until the talent gets better" they're getting better right now because the guys are getting more game reps. Even if you don't think things are getting better right now i.e. you're not watching the games, it's just a waste of time to keep saying the same crap over and over again

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

Not sure what being an accountant, or any job for that matter, has to do with the topic.

Spousal abuse or pet abuse is not a subject to be taken lightly in any context, let alone thought of as a reaction to the result of a game played by 18-23 year olds. If that is truly where your mind goes, seek help. Venting on here is not a substitute. Don't be a Richard.
              Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
              Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
              UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

I've defended you more than most on here, but I take offense to that statement. The two careers UNI really excels at producing, top 10 school in the country, are teaching and accounting. I don't care if you kick your dog or beat your wife, but don't take shots at our top grads. And I didn't even wear a tie for the last 20 years of my career.

And for those of you with no sense of sarcasm or humor, I'm just kidding about that dog/wife part.
                Last edited by GonzoCat; 02-04-2019, 06:56 AM.
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Not one to call people names tho.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

I've defended you more than most on here, but I take offense to that statement. The two careers UNI really excels at producing, top 10 school in the country, are teaching and accounting. I don't care if you kick your dog or beat your wife, but don't take shots at our top grads. And I didn't even wear a tie for the last 20 years of my career.

And for those of you with no sense of sarcasm or humor, I'm just kidding about that dog/wife part.
                    So far I've heard Mudra insinuate that being either a millennial or an accountant is a bad thing, which means he must have a problem with a whole lot of UNI grads...

In all seriousness, I'm officially done entertaining his comments, and we should all stop giving him the attention he doesn't deserve and get back to talking about hoops

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

I feel that not even the most ardent defender of the coaching staff can disagree on your point, but I also think it's worth noting that the much maligned current junior class was a pretty good class on paper; obviously McCloud didn't work out, but he was a good pick-up at the time. McDonnell was getting some attention from Big Ten schools during his recruitment. Dahl is of nothing else a huge dude with the kind of size that is hard to get at the mid-major level. I know that only now are they starting to produce at the level that most expected from them, but it's not like it was a bad class on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

I feel that not even the most ardent defender of the coaching staff can disagree on your point, but I also think it's worth noting that the much maligned current junior class was a pretty good class on paper; obviously McCloud didn't work out, but he was a good pick-up at the time. McDonnell was getting some attention from Big Ten schools during his recruitment. Dahl is of nothing else a huge dude with the kind of size that is hard to get at the mid-major level. I know that only now are they starting to produce at the level that most expected from them, but it's not like it was a bad class on paper.
                        I truly think that there's 2 all conference guys in that class next year with Luke and Za. Spencer could easily get a spot on the all defensive team in the MVC. The fact of the matter is that guys like Luke, Spencer, and Dahl didn't really get extended minutes until this year. It took time for Luke to get comfortable. He's a completely different player right now than he was in December.

Comment

Chipp & Stein are both correct.

Juwan, prior to AJ, was the highest rated recruit to ever step foot on campus at UNI. He was a solid 3* recruit. Top 100 PG in in the country. The only reason he wasn't getting bigger looks was His size. His speed was evident at UNI. He could get to the rim pretty much any time he wanted. He just never developed the size to be able to finish, and we saw that for two years. He also never had to develop a jump shot in HS because he would just blow past everyone. We also saw that at UNI, and unfortunately that never developed while here either. I also heard from reputable sources that he wasn't real close with anyone on the team, it was WELL known to everyone that his father and brother were exactly like the Ball family. It just ended up not being a fit. He's gone D2 and is succeeding. Good for him. His athleticism over the rest of the guys on the court is making a difference. I've talked to a Mankato friend of mine about him and that's the biggest factor. He ended up not working for us, but to say he was part of the "not recruiting talent" problem is false.

Luke, as has been mentioned, was getting some B10 looks at the time he signed with UNI. Iowa was really starting to show interest in him. It may have been a PWO at first, but I think the idea was a 4/5 or 3/5. The "issue" that has plagued Luke so far is the fact he can't put on weight. I know that sounds dumb, but he's 6'9 and weighs 212lbs. Go back to his true freshman year and he was listed at 210. The training staff has had him in the weight room and on a weight adding diet for 3 years now. They can't get it to happen. He just happens to be the "lucky" one genetically that even when he wants too can't put weight on. Unfortunately, for a post, that isn't great. What is finally helping him develop, and see some success, is Jake remembering that his best teams run through the high post. Luke has the intelligence, sense, and skill to succeed in a high post offense. I don't know that I'd call him an All-Conference player, but in that role he's more than capable of being a key piece on the court.

Spencer has been misused for 2 and a half years until the last few games. I've talked a lot with long time/well informed UNI fans through messages off the board and the common theme is that Spencer has been misused. That is largely because Jake has his own version of Farley's obsession with the running QB - the fast-paced offense. I've mentioned this before, but I think Spencer is the prime example of it. Spencer, athletically, isn't a high-level player. When it comes to having to play in a system that required going up and down and using speed to make plays, Spencer has/will struggle. He isn't alone in that role at UNI. I see Spencer in an almost identical role/style to Bohannon or Ali. Neither of those were going to succeed in a high-octane offense. Notice how once Jake went back to a slower offence he has started to excel?
                          Dahl was a flyer offer. That size doesn’t happen at the MM level. He had the opposite issue as Luke. He had to lose a bunch of weight and rebuild his body back up. He’s done a great job in that. However, most bigs take a long time to actually develop, especially when rebuilding their body. He played against small schools in MN, think Denver and the NICL. He didn’t face a ton of competition. Remember Jordan was not good for 2.5 years on campus. He was largely carried by Kwadzo and Adam. If Dahl becomes a solid piece next year that’s great. I think his best role right now is a match up situation, and probably not late in games. That’s how he’s been used.

Outside of those there isn’t much to complain about with overall talent level.
                          Za is fantastic and when locked in is the best defender in the conference. Would have been nice to get a RS on him, but kids don't come to IA from TX to RS.
                          Ty was a top player in Minnesota and if he was 6’7 he’s at Minnesota or Wisky
                          Wyatt is a winner. He isn’t going to be a stat sheet guy, but he’s vital
                          Miles was a WO but grew into a hell of a player before his ACL.
                          Trae was right there with Ty at the top of the players in MN.
                          Biggie is a more polished Luke.
                          Phyfe has the skill and size to be a force if his health cooperates. Remember he showed enough athletically to get a FB scholarship to play TE at Iowa.
                          Croft is a level of offensive skill we haven’t had at UNI. It’s if he fits into a slower system next year that could be the issue.
                          AJ, turn on him all you want, will be one of the greatest to wear the uniform.

When it comes to recruiting, the goal is always to bring in guys that are better than the guys going out. Looking at incoming recruits and the talent/athleticism is high. Henry and Betz may be the most athletic players at UNI in a REAL long time, outside of Wes. They also address the issue at the 4/5 spot. Watch Oksy, without knowing which of Henry/Foster was a 4* HM recruit and you’d guess it was Henry. Guys like Krogmann and Gauger would’ve been scholarship guys not long ago. 2 recruits this year are nominated for the McDonald’s AA teams, though neither will make it. Carter is a mix of skill and size that UNI doesn’t often land, even if it will take some time to hone.

Look at 2020 and it’s guys that are higher level floor than guys they’d replace. Ty seems to have grown to 6’6 and can take over a 4A game. The Madsen brothers would be a STEAL at the MVC level. Gabe is a B10 player but said he wants to be with his brother so the offers won’t come. Mason is considered a high level MVC recruit, just not quite B10/BE level. As a pair they are great. Howell, Brauns, Rivera and Davis are all pretty skilled guys – a head of guys we’ve recruited before.
                          This year the talent hasn’t been an issue as much as depth/unexpected injuries. What those of us that had high hopes for the season didn’t realize is as good as the individual pieces looked, it was still a group that had never played together outside of Pick and Za and part time Spencer. Even if Jake went with the high post/slower offense from day 1 there was going to be many growing pains we didn’t want to let ourselves see. Couple the growing pains with losing Phyfe to his health concerns. Miles to an ACL. Ty for the entire OOC. Biggie to a stress fracture. AJ going through normal freshman issues. It’s been a rough season to try to build the small success into big successes.

UNI is the classic close but not close issue right now. 2 SIU losses that UNI had as wins. 1-point loss at LUC where LUC was called for just 4 fouls the whole game with an 18 FT advantage. 1-point loss at ISUr. The SB and GCU games were similar growing pain losses. Loss at Valpo got away. Only Iowa, USU and SDSU really got away from UNI. Three pretty damn good teams. Some of us where maybe a year early on our expectations, but with going back to the roots of UNI basketball things are moving the right way, but the early season disappointment makes it tough to see.

None of what I said makes it easier to accept this season. Doesn’t make it suck less. I get that. I think there are just a few issues that ended up being bigger, or developing in general, that caused the season to be much rougher than was expected by anyone.
                          Last edited by clenz; 02-05-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

VERY well written and in-depth. Thanks, Clenz.
                            Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                            Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                            - George Halas

Comment

Good job, Clenz.
                              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Clenz, you were away from the board for awhile (or lowered it on the list of sites you visit) and I wanted to say thank you for coming back full time. You bring a different perspective and resources few of the rest of us have. While some may not agree with you at times, I really appreciate what you bring to the board. That post above and your recruiting updates are great examples and I feel more informed as a result. Thank you sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X