WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 25 - @ Drake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
    Alright, let's assume for a second that Jake listened to what you guys are saying, and played them both at the same time. How exactly would the defense work, for example, against Drake? JD is obviously matched up with either McGlynn or Levi Robbins, but who does Luke guard? Does he guard Tremell Murphy, who's pretty much a carbon copy of Trae? Maybe Brady Ellingson? Then not only that obvious issue defensively, but the offense we are running right now which is currently the best offense in MVC play as far as efficiency goes, does not work with 2 big guys out there. At all. It depends upon 1 post running the show in the high post, which Luke has pretty well mastered, and 4 guards setting screens for eachother or reading the defense and cutting when appropriate. That doesn't work at all with both Luke and JD out there. MAYBE with Luke and Biggie because they're both able to stretch the floor shooting.
    I personally don't care if we play 1 or 2 posts or don't play any of them. Why not put Trae at 5, along with Isaiah, Wyatt, Spencer and AJ. Make McGlynn go out on the perimeter on defense and chase guys around and wear him out? At some point, Luke needs to lay the lumber on someone when they are coming down the lane. The guards are routinely getting beat off the bounce and a hard foul might make the opposing team think twice about being so eager to go to the rim. I'm not saying do something viciously dirty, but make it really good, really hard foul.

    I haven't looked to see if there is a reasonably attainable path to avoiding Thursday at this point, but if they can find a way they still have a chance in STL. Someone needs to develop a killer instinct down the stretch and take control late in games.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

      I personally don't care if we play 1 or 2 posts or don't play any of them. Why not put Trae at 5, along with Isaiah, Wyatt, Spencer and AJ. Make McGlynn go out on the perimeter on defense and chase guys around and wear him out? At some point, Luke needs to lay the lumber on someone when they are coming down the lane. The guards are routinely getting beat off the bounce and a hard foul might make the opposing team think twice about being so eager to go to the rim. I'm not saying do something viciously dirty, but make it really good, really hard foul.

      I haven't looked to see if there is a reasonably attainable path to avoiding Thursday at this point, but if they can find a way they still have a chance in STL. Someone needs to develop a killer instinct down the stretch and take control late in games.
      Realistically, probably not. Because of our NET rating and the sweep by SIU, we'd probably have to get to 10-8 which means going 5-1 and that loss can't be to Illinois State or Valpo. There's a legitimate chance that there's going to be nasty multi team ties for 2nd and/or 3rd. Not totally out of the realm of possibility that you could tie for 2nd and end up the 7 seed.
      #MACtion

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

        Other 2 shots were bad, although from my viewpoint I thought Wyatt got fouled. He hits the shot at a 50% clip, virtually all of them are in that exact situation, he was open, and you're mad he took it? Really? I know you don't like Luke, but get your head out of your ass. I might be wearing rose colored glasses, but I'd prefer that over **** colored ones. JD was great defensively yesterday, but he was still a net loss yesterday because of his offense. 3 turnovers in 13 minutes is awful, and he's done that in the last two games that he's gotten real minutes. Luke had 4 assists to 1 turnover yesterday, he's been putting numbers like that up pretty consistently that last month and a half. Since December 22nd he's had 1 game where he had more turnovers than assists. When JD plays an athletic big he turns it over quite a bit, like yesterday and like against Missouri State. JD is a good player, but his limitations offensively make him a net negative when playing extended minutes. And as far as the crowd wanting them on the floor at the same time is concerned, they are playing two post guys right now. They're not going to play both of them at the same time because that would be stupid. Then suddenly we have to play more 5 guard lineups to counteract when they're both tired and need a break, which is the last thing Jake wants to do.
        I don’t need to be told to get my head out of my ass. Certainly not by you. I’ve never said I hated mcdonnell so you are making things up again. And you win with defense. Dahl affected that beautifully...especially in the second half when we needed it most. The three turnovers were every bit on the guards as they were him. In fact, I cannot believe they gave him three turnovers as at least two were bad passes. He shoots a much higher percentage shot as he’s around the block. That’s what our offense needs. We also need more Dahl down the stretch when facing a post like Drake’s or Valpo’s where they can simply score at will on mcdonnell. I also never said to play them both for extended minutes, but in key stretches or at the very end of games where matchups or situations dictate

        Comment


        • #64
          I like Dahl out there also. But if you watch the last couple games the guards have gotten good passes into him and he couldn’t get them. Don’t say they were bad passes. They were catchable and usually go the guard with a.turnover not him. His hands arent the best and he will get better as he plays but he is just not an offensive threat for this team right now to make big plays in the paint. You will continue to make negative points about this team even if they get a win. I think people are entertained to see what gets posted next by you and run and blade. Thanks for that.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

            I don’t need to be told to get my head out of my ass. Certainly not by you. I’ve never said I hated mcdonnell so you are making things up again. And you win with defense. Dahl affected that beautifully...especially in the second half when we needed it most. The three turnovers were every bit on the guards as they were him. In fact, I cannot believe they gave him three turnovers as at least two were bad passes. He shoots a much higher percentage shot as he’s around the block. That’s what our offense needs. We also need more Dahl down the stretch when facing a post like Drake’s or Valpo’s where they can simply score at will on mcdonnell. I also never said to play them both for extended minutes, but in key stretches or at the very end of games where matchups or situations dictate
            Defense was not our issue down the stretch. The issue was we didn't score from 4:21 to 33 seconds left and they scored 7 points. Again, this offense that we're running, which is the best in the conference efficiency wise, doesn't work with 2 post players. Why would we switch from running the offense that has been so effective to something different in late game situations?

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

              Defense was not our issue down the stretch. The issue was we didn't score from 4:21 to 33 seconds left and they scored 7 points. Again, this offense that we're running, which is the best in the conference efficiency wise, doesn't work with 2 post players. Why would we switch from running the offense that has been so effective to something different in late game situations?
              Defense was our issue against their post that was named player of the game in scoring 22 on mcdonnell

              Comment


              • #67
                I remember when some thought that losing Bennett Koch would be addition by subtraction. A post who could score, albeit somewhat awkwardly and mechanically, and also a decent (not great) defender when he could stay out of foul trouble. Not as good running the offense as McDonnell and not as much of an intimidator on defense as Dahl, but not glaringly deficient on either end of the court, where you had to pick one or the other.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post
                  I remember when some thought that losing Bennett Koch would be addition by subtraction. A post who could score, albeit somewhat awkwardly and mechanically, and also a decent (not great) defender when he could stay out of foul trouble. Not as good running the offense as McDonnell and not as much of an intimidator on defense as Dahl, but not glaringly deficient on either end of the court, where you had to pick one or the other.
                  In fairness, most posters believed Phyfe would be the one replacing Koch, not McDonell. Phyfe's illness has negatively impacted us in so many ways.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    So easy to forget how luke has had to adapt to a new position when Phyfe was not able to play. I think he is doing a great job and getting better all the time.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

                      Defense was our issue against their post that was named player of the game in scoring 22 on mcdonnell
                      Don't act like he didn't score on Dahl too, I can remember one play in particular where we finally hit a shot to take the lead and McGlynn got an and-1 on Dahl. That's getting off topic a bit though, you said that you want them to play together in late game situations, so providing whole game stats doesn't necessarily fit. I provided stats from the end of the game Saturday that support my argument, why don't you try and do the same?

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

                        Defense was our issue against their post that was named player of the game in scoring 22 on mcdonnell
                        Here's a stat for you, in the final 6:45 of the game, which Luke was in for virtually all of, Nick McGlynn scored 4 points. All of those points were on free throws, and 2 of those points were with 5 seconds left when Luke wasn't even in the game anymore because he fouled out. Doesn't exactly fit your argument that they constantly attacked Luke down the stretch and we need JD in there to prevent that....

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Alluded to up thread but you know what solves all these problems? Austin Phyfe.
                          #MACtion

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

                            Don't act like he didn't score on Dahl too, I can remember one play in particular where we finally hit a shot to take the lead and McGlynn got an and-1 on Dahl. That's getting off topic a bit though, you said that you want them to play together in late game situations, so providing whole game stats doesn't necessarily fit. I provided stats from the end of the game Saturday that support my argument, why don't you try and do the same?
                            I saw 10 straight drake possessions in the second half where drake didn’t score and dahl was in. His impact was laid out perfectly by a previous poster. He was only in because mcdonnell had three fouls. As soon as mcdonnell came back, drake took a timeout and immediately started hammering the middle where their center scored at will. I never saw Dahl give up anything in the second half. He may have one in the first. Not sure, but that’s nothing compared to the rest. And I don’t have time to walk through the game film as I have a job and a life but i saw it live with my own eyes as did others

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

                              I saw 10 straight drake possessions in the second half where drake didn’t score and dahl was in. His impact was laid out perfectly by a previous poster. He was only in because mcdonnell had three fouls. As soon as mcdonnell came back, drake took a timeout and immediately started hammering the middle where their center scored at will. I never saw Dahl give up anything in the second half. He may have one in the first. Not sure, but that’s nothing compared to the rest. And I don’t have time to walk through the game film as I have a job and a life but i saw it live with my own eyes as did others
                              Didn't need to go through game film, took 10 seconds by going on the ESPN play by play. We took a lead (59-58) at the 9:21 mark on a Spencer 3. 15 seconds later McGlynn got an And-1 on JD and he immediately got pulled because Luke took a shot the next possession. From that point on (final 8:30 give or take) Drake made 3 layups, 1 of which was by McGlynn. All their other points were on free throws (all but 2 of their free throws during that span were in the final 40 seconds when we were extending the game), or jumpers. Also during that stretch McGlynn had 2 turnovers, 1 of which was an offensive foul. Luke was more than sufficient defensively down the stretch, we just didn't make shots when it mattered most. These are all facts that can be easily checked. If you want to disagree because of "what you saw", do what you want, but that's exactly how the final 8-9 minutes went. I saw it myself and have technology to back it up.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

                                Didn't need to go through game film, took 10 seconds by going on the ESPN play by play. We took a lead (59-58) at the 9:21 mark on a Spencer 3. 15 seconds later McGlynn got an And-1 on JD and he immediately got pulled because Luke took a shot the next possession. From that point on (final 8:30 give or take) Drake made 3 layups, 1 of which was by McGlynn. All their other points were on free throws (all but 2 of their free throws during that span were in the final 40 seconds when we were extending the game), or jumpers. Also during that stretch McGlynn had 2 turnovers, 1 of which was an offensive foul. Luke was more than sufficient defensively down the stretch, we just didn't make shots when it mattered most. These are all facts that can be easily checked. If you want to disagree because of "what you saw", do what you want, but that's exactly how the final 8-9 minutes went. I saw it myself and have technology to back it up.
                                I and others saw it differently and that’s good enough for me. I couldn’t care less what you think as my opinions don’t answer to yours and I’ve forgotten more about basketball than you’ll ever know

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X