WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 25 - @ Drake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skydog0784 View Post
    I really couldn't care less what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
      Three wrong people taking the last three shots. Pick, lohaus throwup shot and mcdonnell 25 ft away. Stupid. No pg taking control
      Right? Why would someone shooting over 50% from 3 take an open shot off the pick and pop? What was he thinking?!?

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Maybe their fans read the kool-aid posted here and think UNI is good.

Drake coach should be coach of the year. Filled his roster at eleventh hour. Lost his PG and has them in third place.
        Great post, agree with both points.

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

Right? Why would someone shooting over 50% from 3 take an open shot off the pick and pop? What was he thinking?!?
          Low sample size and was a stupid shot. Out of range and doesn’t answer for the other two dumb shots either, but keep the rose colored glasses on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

Low sample size and was a stupid shot. Out of range and doesn’t answer for the other two dumb shots either, but keep the rose colored glasses on.
            Other 2 shots were bad, although from my viewpoint I thought Wyatt got fouled. He hits the shot at a 50% clip, virtually all of them are in that exact situation, he was open, and you're mad he took it? Really? I know you don't like Luke, but get your head out of your ass. I might be wearing rose colored glasses, but I'd prefer that over **** colored ones. JD was great defensively yesterday, but he was still a net loss yesterday because of his offense. 3 turnovers in 13 minutes is awful, and he's done that in the last two games that he's gotten real minutes. Luke had 4 assists to 1 turnover yesterday, he's been putting numbers like that up pretty consistently that last month and a half. Since December 22nd he's had 1 game where he had more turnovers than assists. When JD plays an athletic big he turns it over quite a bit, like yesterday and like against Missouri State. JD is a good player, but his limitations offensively make him a net negative when playing extended minutes. And as far as the crowd wanting them on the floor at the same time is concerned, they are playing two post guys right now. They're not going to play both of them at the same time because that would be stupid. Then suddenly we have to play more 5 guard lineups to counteract when they're both tired and need a break, which is the last thing Jake wants to do.

Comment

JD may have had 3 turnovers but in 13 minutes had 5 rebounds, 3 blocked shots and caused 4 turnovers. He is not a net loss on offense because he creates huge screens and is enough
              of a threat that he must be guarded. If you can't see what he did to Drake yesterday in stopping their offense, then you are blind. We did not have an offense problem, we had a defense problem
              just like the Bradley game. We had six points and no 3s from our center spot, yet it was our best offensive game of the year. Our guards have dramatically improved yet we are still losing because we play too small for too long. We get owned in the paint without Dahl in. Biggie is back, we have two 4s and a 5. McDonnell is a 4, JD is a 5. Play them in their natural positions even if it only for 10 minutes a game. Having an inside game makes our guards more effective Having another big man next to McDonnell can only help him. He won't foul out and he won't have the biggest guy guarding him. Next year we will have 3 4s, a 5 and hopefully Phyfe. I hope we are not going to go with 4 guards again next year the whole game. We are at the bottom of the league, trying something different is not stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Leatherhelmet View Post
                Biggie is back, we have two 4s and a 5. McDonnell is a 4, JD is a 5. Play them in their natural positions even if it only for 10 minutes a game.
                Is he back though? He's been dressing, but he's played like 5 minutes of that since "returning". If we had Phyfe, obviously it's a different conversation because then it would by Phyfe at the 5 and Luke at the 4. For the umpteenth time, I'm gonna say Jake knows more about the roster and how to win basketball games than either of you do. The guy is as good of a coach as there is in the country. The fact that we've had multiple injuries this year (this is obviously a different team with Phyfe and Wentzien healthy), doesn't change that. No one seemed bothered when Jake was taking down UNC and ISU with a 4 guard lineup, or when Tuttle (who wasn't a true 5) was the only real post player on the floor (singleton was 6'5", he was a little heavier Trae Berhow). Jake played a 2 post lineup just last year, he lost 3 guys that swallowed up a majority of the post minutes a season ago, and the main post returner is out for the year. He had "more" returning experience in the backcourt, and that's what he's leaning on this season. If Phyfe is back next year and the recruits live up to expectations, he will likely go back to a more traditional look, but what he has this year doesn't really allow him to do that.

Comment

Mo State wins on a crazy play. Seriously look it up. Bad news for us, but what elsw is new.

Comment

I'm kind of baking on us using up all the bad luck this year. Nothing has gone right.

Plus, we're in bizzarro world because the offense is all of a sudden really, really good but the defense can't stop anyone. This is the offense Jake envisioned at the beginning of the year. It's working.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Just had a chance to watch this one... We really need to play defense. Ugly. I don't see how little can defend McDonnell playing twice the minutes of Dahl. I get Luke is better offensively, but man this teams problem is it's defense right now. Any idea how efficient the offense was with JD in vs McDonnell? I'd really like to see them each playing about 20 minutes and think playing them together isn't a bad idea either. Especially against a team like Drake, who seemed to be attacking the rim every possession. He's just so big he's going to disrupt shots. With that said, the O is looking really, really good.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by Leatherhelmet View Post
                        JD may have had 3 turnovers but in 13 minutes had 5 rebounds, 3 blocked shots and caused 4 turnovers. He is not a net loss on offense because he creates huge screens and is enough
                        of a threat that he must be guarded. If you can't see what he did to Drake yesterday in stopping their offense, then you are blind. We did not have an offense problem, we had a defense problem
                        just like the Bradley game. We had six points and no 3s from our center spot, yet it was our best offensive game of the year. Our guards have dramatically improved yet we are still losing because we play too small for too long. We get owned in the paint without Dahl in. Biggie is back, we have two 4s and a 5. McDonnell is a 4, JD is a 5. Play them in their natural positions even if it only for 10 minutes a game. Having an inside game makes our guards more effective Having another big man next to McDonnell can only help him. He won't foul out and he won't have the biggest guy guarding him. Next year we will have 3 4s, a 5 and hopefully Phyfe. I hope we are not going to go with 4 guards again next year the whole game. We are at the bottom of the league, trying something different is not stupid.
                        I didn’t see the game live, but watched parts of the replay last night. Dahl made his presence felt on D. He blocked and/or altered several Drake shots, and the rebounds he didn’t get were easier for others because he cleared out some serious space boxing out McGlynn, Robbins, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          I'm kind of baking on us using up all the bad luck this year. Nothing has gone right.

Plus, we're in bizzarro world because the offense is all of a sudden really, really good but the defense can't stop anyone. This is the offense Jake envisioned at the beginning of the year. It's working.

Ha. I'm feeling rather "baked!"

Comment

Singleton was 50 pounds heavier than Berhow. 35 pounds heavier than McDonnell. Bennett Koch was 232. Friedman was 245. Jesperson and McDonnell are about the same weight. If we are unwilling to play McDonnell and Dahl at the same time, want to limit Dahl to 7-13 minutes with little 2nd half action, sit Biggie on the bench, then Haldeman and Green better each score 25 because we are too short and light to match up physically. We just outshot Drake, hit 50 percent.... and that still didn’t do it.

Comment

Alright, let's assume for a second that Jake listened to what you guys are saying, and played them both at the same time. How exactly would the defense work, for example, against Drake? JD is obviously matched up with either McGlynn or Levi Robbins, but who does Luke guard? Does he guard Tremell Murphy, who's pretty much a carbon copy of Trae? Maybe Brady Ellingson? Then not only that obvious issue defensively, but the offense we are running right now which is currently the best offense in MVC play as far as efficiency goes, does not work with 2 big guys out there. At all. It depends upon 1 post running the show in the high post, which Luke has pretty well mastered, and 4 guards setting screens for eachother or reading the defense and cutting when appropriate. That doesn't work at all with both Luke and JD out there. MAYBE with Luke and Biggie because they're both able to stretch the floor shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
                                Alright, let's assume for a second that Jake listened to what you guys are saying, and played them both at the same time. How exactly would the defense work, for example, against Drake? JD is obviously matched up with either McGlynn or Levi Robbins, but who does Luke guard? Does he guard Tremell Murphy, who's pretty much a carbon copy of Trae? Maybe Brady Ellingson? Then not only that obvious issue defensively, but the offense we are running right now which is currently the best offense in MVC play as far as efficiency goes, does not work with 2 big guys out there. At all. It depends upon 1 post running the show in the high post, which Luke has pretty well mastered, and 4 guards setting screens for eachother or reading the defense and cutting when appropriate. That doesn't work at all with both Luke and JD out there. MAYBE with Luke and Biggie because they're both able to stretch the floor shooting.
                                You might have a point, I guess my main thing is that McDonnell just cannot handle a guy like McGlynn defensively. He was pushing McDonnell around with ease Saturday. Unless we double harder in a situation like that, we need to get JD more of those minutes imo. Jake has always been a defense first guy, I don't know if he's throwing that out the window because McDonnell handles the offense so well or what.
                                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Working...
                                X