WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 25 - @ Drake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of "alternative facts" from Mudra in this thread.

I agree with both sides of the coin as to the current state and the future being bright. We are 10-15, and 8-15 against DI teams. The season has been objectively bad, there is no way around it. And it has been bad for three years. We haven't been able to do anything on the road and have been just OK at home. For three years.

But I also see that the potential is there if all of the pieces come together next year like they could. It is a big IF, but there is talent there. If all four of the guys we expect to be new contributors next year are able to do so, and AJ makes a big jump next year (not a crazy idea for a true freshman), and Pick is completely healthy. Throw in a more consistent Berhow and Haldeman. The silver lining to Phyffe's injury is that McDonnell developed a ton more than he would have as well and should be able to contribute more next year. Yeah, there is a ton of potential there. A lot of similarities to 13-14 to be sure.

Not too optimistic about this year though. Looking like a Thursday team. If we can get to 7-7 at the end of this week, maybe we can crawl our way out. Anything less and we are probably sunk.

Comment

Also, should be noted that the 13-14 team was 5-7 and rallied to get to 10-8. So that would be nice if we could do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
        Also, should be noted that the 13-14 team was 5-7 and rallied to get to 10-8. So that would be nice if we could do that again.
        I'd love to see us finish strong and maybe earn our way into one of the cheap tourneys so this team can get more in game reps. Ty has really improved over the past few weeks, Trae doesn't force his shot and usually hits when he does take it, which I love for a young guy. No arguments that they haven't met expectations this year, but to me it's certainly obvious, like BC said, that progress is being made and the guys are playing really hard. As long as both of those two things are happening, how mad can we really be with only 1 senior playing right now?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
          5-1 is probably what it's going to take. 4-2 might do it if SIU continues to circle the drain. Bradley's schedule turns hard on them as well.
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

If we weren't playing hard or if we were getting blown out all the time, it would be one thing. We're seriously 4 buckets away from being 9-3.

Incredibly young team that gets another influx of talent next year with Phyfe and Croft back and Henry and Carter ready to contribute right away. Plus, imagine the step forward AJ takes next year after having a full year under his belt and knowing where he needs to improve. The future is crazy bright.
            Is Henry ready right away and needed right away? Assuming Phyfe is back he would be the 5th big and the only one with no experience.

Has anyone actually watched Betz or Croft or found video of them? Someone(maybe clenz?) said Croft is an offensive talent never seen before or something to that affect. What is that based off of? I don't have time to keep up on the recruits and you may not either, but are all the scholarship guys expected to play next year or will any redshirt? Not going to hold you to it 8 months from now, but interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm hopeful it all comes together next year, but am still cautious. Until this current team can figure out how to close a game, I don't see a couple freshman/newcomers completely changing the trajectory of the past 3 years.
            Last edited by hoopfan; 02-12-2019, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

Is Henry ready right away and needed right away? Assuming Phyfe is back he would be the 5th big and the only one with no experience.

Has anyone actually watched Betz or Croft or found video of them? Someone(maybe clenz?) said Croft is an offensive talent never seen before or something to that affect. What is that based off of? I don't have time to keep up on the recruits and you may not either, but are all the scholarship guys expected to play next year or will any redshirt? Not going to hold you to it 8 months from now, but interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm hopeful it all comes together next year, but am still cautious. Until this current team can figure out how to close a game, I don't see a couple freshman/newcomers completely changing the trajectory of the past 3 years.
              Phyfe has experience. He was playing double digit minutes more often than not in conference play last year, and if you look at his kenpom numbers on every single one his ratings got better in conference play. Fouls called went down, fouls drawn went up (both per 40 minutes), shooting percentage went up. Let's also not forget he had 20-8 in 23 minutes against Valpo at home last year. Kid can really play once he gets his feet back under him a bit. Carter I'd be confident could play right away because his body is ready for NCAA punishment. Henry probably will be as well, but I'd be fine with a redshirt year for him to get more weight on, same for Betz. Carter is a Marvin Singleton carbon copy, 6'6" 235 and he's a high school senior. Croft I've seen some highlights, but not a lot. Can really get to the rim and is reliable enough from 3 that you have to guard him there. He will take a lot of pressure off of AJ. Let's also not forget it's possible, perhaps not likely, that Miles gets another year. We all saw how well they were playing with him in the starting lineup before he went down, he was the x factor

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

Croft is legit offensively. You aren't national JUCO Player of the Year based on your ability to defend. 57.4 Points per 40 minutes is stupid no matter what level you're playing at.

You could probably talk me into a redshirt for Henry, but a 6-10 kid with those passing skills is hard to sit for a year.
                #MACtion

Comment

Everyone can predict what they think about all incoming players and that is what this site is for. Being realistic no one knows how a new recruit will adapt to the D1 level. We don’t even know if Croft will be here next season he still has academic issues and we can only assume if he doesn’t get to where he needs to be he is done. Especially after a year like this one with the injuries we have had sure makes you realize how fast the reflection of the team can change. These players have dealt with a lot of ups and downs and we know it’s not the season we wanted but still feel like they are headed in the right direction for the remaining season and heading into next year.

Comment

Was it Henry that was shooting under 50% on FT? The other two Iowans weren't automatic either. Maybe their stats improved this season?

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Croft is legit offensively. You aren't national JUCO Player of the Year based on your ability to defend. 57.4 Points per 40 minutes is stupid no matter what level you're playing at.

You could probably talk me into a redshirt for Henry, but a 6-10 kid with those passing skills is hard to sit for a year.
                      To be fair, there are three levels of JUCO. Croft plays DII JUCO not DI JUCO.

There is a a huge difference in level of play.

i hope he is good enough for Green to be shooting guard.
                      Last edited by run&blade; 02-13-2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PanthersMBB View Post
                        Everyone can predict what they think about all incoming players and that is what this site is for. Being realistic no one knows how a new recruit will adapt to the D1 level. We don’t even know if Croft will be here next season he still has academic issues and we can only assume if he doesn’t get to where he needs to be he is done. Especially after a year like this one with the injuries we have had sure makes you realize how fast the reflection of the team can change. These players have dealt with a lot of ups and downs and we know it’s not the season we wanted but still feel like they are headed in the right direction for the remaining season and heading into next year.
                        I think it's a reasonable to assume that Crofts academics are going pretty well since he's involved in team activities now. I may have heard wrong, but I thought I heard the suspension from the NCAA was lifted or reduced or something. Obviously that has to continue, but it's not like he's going to lose the academic support system he has at UNI.
                        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                          Was it Henry that was shooting under 50% on FT? The other two Iowans weren't automatic either. Maybe their stats improved this season?
                          Henry is shooting under 35% from the FT line this year. Match that with Dahl, 44%, Phyfe, 40% and Biggie at 55%, then McDonnell's 64% looks pretty darn good. Note-Betz is over 80% and Phyfe did shoot 73% last year in a larger sample size.

Comment

Realistically, probably not. Because of our NET rating and the sweep by SIU, we'd probably have to get to 10-8 which means going 5-1 and that loss can't be to Illinois State or Valpo. There's a legitimate chance that there's going to be nasty multi team ties for 2nd and/or 3rd. Not totally out of the realm of possibility that you could tie for 2nd and end up the 7 seed.
                            Back to this. I just checked remaining schedules and we might be okay at 4-2.

I didn't realize that Bradley finished with this: Loyola, @Illinois State, @ Drake, Evansville, Valpo, @ Loyola. That's real, real rough.3-3 at best gets them to 8-10

SIU- Because of the sweep, we have to have a better record. They finish @ Indiana State, @ Valpo, Loyola, @ Evansville, Illinois State. Have to have them go 2-3 or worse and they would be 8-10

Valpo- Indiana State, @ Drake, SIU, @ UNI, @ Bradley, Evansville. 3-3 is fine as long as we beat them.

Missouri State- @ Evansville, @ Loyola, UNI, Inidiana State, @ Illinois State, Drake. Only realistic chance to get past them is 5-1 and winning down there.

We're certainly not out of it yet as far as avoiding Thursday but we have to go at least 4-2 and tonight is pretty much a must win. God knows how that character filled Illinois State team will respond having lost the way they did on Sunday.
                            #MACtion

Comment

• The current simulations using Sagarin's Predictor ratings say going 3-3 (8-10) puts us on Thursday 76% of the time and 4-2 (9-9) puts us on Thursday only 15% of the time.

Comment

My only thought was that if Phyfe, Biggie, Luke, and JD are all there, how much playing time is Henry really looking at? I think him and Betz would both really benefit from a redshirt year to put weight on and be primed to takeover a good chunk of the minutes Luke and JD leave behind after next season

Comment

Working...
                                X