WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Basketball Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Yeah, lets not get home games - which is what people have *****ed about - let's just whore ourselves out to UNC, Duke, Texas, etc. and play 2 home OOC games but hey, we are playing big names and a tough schedule. Right?
    Not what I said at all. As a season ticket holder, I want quality home games, not D3 teams. Those D3 games are dead like the exhibition game is. And season ticket holders are paying as much for those games as the conference games. For the non season ticket holder, you can just decided not to shell out money for those games. Season ticket holders already paid for them whether they go or not. I don't expect all the non con games to be great games, but this has been the trend.

I know we'd be lucky to get any power team to come to CF and it might not happen again. A couple years ago we had UNLV and Xavier at home. Those were great games. Be nice to see one team of that stature at home each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Waverly_Panther View Post

Not what I said at all. As a season ticket holder, I want quality home games, not D3 teams. Those D3 games are dead like the exhibition game is. And season ticket holders are paying as much for those games as the conference games. For the non season ticket holder, you can just decided not to shell out money for those games. Season ticket holders already paid for them whether they go or not. I don't expect all the non con games to be great games, but this has been the trend.

I know we'd be lucky to get any power team to come to CF and it might not happen again. A couple years ago we had UNLV and Xavier at home. Those were great games. Be nice to see one team of that stature at home each year.
      Unfortunately it's life as a mid major. I guarantee Jake wishes it wasn't the way it is, but there isn't much that can be done about it.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Until we get some arrangements with other mid-major conferences for scheduling, we are going to have to accept this. Hopefully, some of the better mid-major conferences will see the $$ conferences and there 20 game schedules as trying to freeze out mid-majors and act as a unit to form some sort of scheduling alliance with each other. Until we get some cohesion there, this is what it is.

As for the D3 and casual fans, we actually do pretty well with attendance when we have some of the Great Rivers (Iowa Conference) teams because it becomes an event for them.

Comment

1) Most people want better teams at home
          2) Scheduling is impossible as a mid major and that cannot be said enough.
          3) UNC and Xavier fell into our lap so we cant expect those every year.
          4) In the past we have had very good mid major games at home (e.g Iona) that have had extremely mediocre attendance. So part of the problem is that the majority our fan base does not recognize (or care) about good games unless they are a UNC.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

1) Most people want better teams at home
            2) Scheduling is impossible as a mid major and that cannot be said enough.
            3) UNC and Xavier fell into our lap so we cant expect those every year.
            4) In the past we have had very good mid major games at home (e.g Iona) that have had extremely mediocre attendance. So part of the problem is that the majority our fan base does not recognize (or care) about good games unless they are a UNC.
            This is exactly right. Even this year, Old Dominion and Marshall are good gets and I bet we don't get great crowds for them.
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

This is exactly right. Even this year, Old Dominion and Marshall are good gets and I bet we don't get great crowds for them.
              Ignorance of quality programs over name opponents has long plagued our fan base

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Ignorance of quality programs over name opponents has long plagued our fan base
                That's not a unique issue for UNI however. This is a mid-major issue in that those teams don't have name recognition to casual fans. I would guess that Marshall's fan base would be equally indifferent to a home game with UNI.

We do need some rivalry games for non-conference excitement. This is really on the heads of the mid-major conferences to band together and create some mutually beneficial match ups that generate excitement and TV interest on an annual basis.
                If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

That's not a unique issue for UNI however. This is a mid-major issue in that those teams don't have name recognition to casual fans. I would guess that Marshall's fan base would be equally indifferent to a home game with UNI.

We do need some rivalry games for non-conference excitement. This is really on the heads of the mid-major conferences to band together and create some mutually beneficial match ups that generate excitement and TV interest on an annual basis.
                  I wouldn't say you are wrong but I think the issue is worse/more exaggerated here. For example, those stupid 7 am games with SFA a few years ago. The game at SFA was packed and I think we had a pretty good crowd but nothing like that. Not the best example but I think it demonstrates the issue. And too lazy to compare attendance for the home and homes.

Even in our very good years our attendance is not what I would hope.

Comment

I wouldn't say you are wrong but I think the issue is worse/more exaggerated here. For example, those stupid 7 am games with SFA a few years ago. The game at SFA was packed and I think we had a pretty good crowd but nothing like that. Not the best example but I think it demonstrates the issue. And too lazy to compare attendance for the home and homes.

For the game at SFA, they let in thousands of elementary school kids for free. Thats why there were so many people there. (Which was a great idea btw)

I obviously agree that attendance needs to greatly approve. Beer will help a little. Winning will help a ton. And the AD needs to get more creative in finding ways to get more people in the building.
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

We do just fine in our good years. We're never going to draw before league play, I don't know why, we never have outside of Iowa/Iowa State.

Jake's 4 Tournament Teams Average Attendance

2008-09--Non-Con (w/ Iowa State) 3435 League 4730 Total 4212

2009-10--Non-Con (w/ Iowa) 5158 League 5909 Total 5642

2014-15--Non-Con 4000 League 5950 Total 5170 (Take out the SIU home game played during an ice storm and league average goes to 6205)

2015-16--Non-Con (w/ North Carolina) 5124 League 5520 Total 5379

Non League Attendance 2017-18 (UNLV/Xavier) 3979. UNLV had 4546. Xavier 6355
                      #MACtion

Comment

Northern Illinois announced our game there on Nov 9 will tip at 3:00. We have a home football game that kicks at 4:00 that day.

#MACtion

Comment

Northern Illinois announced our game there on Nov 9 will tip at 3:00. We have a home football game that kicks at 4:00 that day
                          I propose that we live stream the basketball game on the big video screen during the football game Nov 9.

Comment

Colorado officially announces that our game out there will air on the Pac 12 Network. That's going to be a bit of a nightmare to get out here. Sling and FUBO have it on their streaming lineups, going to have to burn a free trial somewhere.

What a horribly mismanaged league....
                            #MACtion

Comment

Colorado officially announces that our game out there will air on the Pac 12 Network. That's going to be a bit of a nightmare to get out here. Sling and FUBO have it on their streaming lineups, going to have to burn a free trial somewhere.

What a horribly mismanaged league....
                              i get the PAC 12 on Dish. Dish banned me from watching Twins and Cardinals but I'm watching Washington st beat the crap out of Colorado st 52-10.

How good will Colorado be?

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post

i get the PAC 12 on Dish. Dish banned me from watching Twins and Cardinals but I'm watching Washington st beat the crap out of Colorado st 52-10.

How good will Colorado be?
                                Top 40 type team. Probably a bubble team depending on how good that league is this year. Winnable game that would help NET for sure.
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X