WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 29-Valpo (Purple out!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proud of this team. They've been playing much better as the season progresses. They are only a couple baskets away from being tied for the conference lead right now. Hopefully we can get one back against Loyola. We deserved that one and I feel we got a little jobbed by the foul disparity.

Comment

It's not working perfectly just because we are winning games. With better player usage we would be winning more easily. Also we did not extend our lead in second half. We had a 10 point lead in the first half. That was only matched after a first score of a second half 3 and then was cut for the entire second half to as low as 1 and was only extended in the final 30 seconds due to desperation fouling. Mudra is entirely correct on Dahl and the stupidity of not playing him, particularly when the opposing team has a big man, or two. Luke is a nice high post soft 4, but he is not a 5 in any way. Other teams big men have their way with him in the lane on both O and D. He gets the ball down low and I know without watching he is not going to score if there is any defender there. The best we can hope for is a foul call and free throws. He can't even make a lay up completely uncontested from that spot now. Is he not able to dunk? Also when he sets a screen in that high post spot the opponents always slip past it immediately like he wasn't there because of what a slim presence he is. When Dahl sets that screen the opponent comes close to losing consciousness after running into him. There were at least two times last night in his limited minutes that Dahl set a screen and a guard used it to curl around for a wide open jump shot. That really should count as an assist. Dahl is a true 5 and for whatever reason our coaches don't like using a 5. He's also worked himself into being pretty effective at the high post where they do like to use that position. I get that a lot of you really like Lukes game, some even think he is our MVP, which makes my head hurt, but there are times when a true 5 is called for.
      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

There’s pros and cons to everything. You’re right about a lot of what you say, but then you say:
        Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
        The best we can hope for is a foul call and free throws.
        But that is actually a really good thing and it is happening a lot. It may not be a dunk that you can say Rah Rah Rah about, but if he makes the free throws, it is better than a dunk.

Comment

What an awesome two weeks. What a great turnaround. Keep it up Panthers! I am substantially more excited to be going to St. Louis than I was two weeks ago!

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
            There’s pros and cons to everything. You’re right about a lot of what you say, but then you say:

But that is actually a really good thing and it is happening a lot. It may not be a dunk that you can say Rah Rah Rah about, but if he makes the free throws, it is better than a dunk.
            If he makes both free throws yes, but he makes on average 1.3 out of every 2. What's even better is if you have a big man with the strength to make the basket even with a defender fouling him. The dunk comment was on a play where there was no defender near him. The nice thing about dunking is it has about a 99% chance of scoring vs. maybe a 65% chance on a lay up uncontested and it tends to fire the crowd up.
            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

If he makes both free throws yes, but he makes on average 1.3 out of every 2. What's even better is if you have a big man with the strength to make the basket even with a defender fouling him. The dunk comment was on a play where there was no defender near him. The nice thing about dunking is it has about a 99% chance of scoring vs. maybe a 65% chance on a lay up uncontested and it tends to fire the crowd up.
              If you only have a 65% chance of making an uncontested layup you probably shouldn't be playing DI basketball......or just basketball in general.

Comment

I've been a big advocate for Dahl since the Utah St game. He's very good defensively against a true post. He is a bit of a liability defensively if teams don't play a true post. They're was a point in yesterday's game, I think when Valpo cut it to 1, where I thought you had to get Luke in the game. The O was stagnant, and it works much better with Luke in. With that said, I don't get why we don't feed Dahl in the post more. He's shown to have a good touch and pretty good offensive moves for his size, especially considering he hasn't gotten a ton of time to get comfortable.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Sure, but Valpo had to play 4 and a half minutes with Smits fouled out and Sarolla with four. That was huge. After that, we got multiple layups. Smart and strong would be great. Luke is playing smart. JD is big and strong, but makes mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by uni1988 View Post
                    Last week we were talking about playing on Thursday Night. Today... we can talk about UNI winning or sharing the conference title. Drake, Loyola, Missouri State and the Panthers all have a chance. Today's games are BIG. Drake at ISU Red and Loyola at Southern. If things fall our way... 11 -7 can win the Valley.
                    One’s perspective on today’s games depends on whether you are still worried about avoiding Thursday or if you’re eying a top conference finish. I’ve been in avoid Thursday mode for so long I had already decided to pull for Drake and Loyola. I Probably should start aiming higher at this point.

I do think 3rd is very attainable, 1st is unlikely, 2nd will hinge on our game on Wednesday. But If we can beat Loyola, then one of Drake or MoSt will lose since they play each other to close the season, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                      What an awesome two weeks. What a great turnaround. Keep it up Panthers! I am substantially more excited to be going to St. Louis than I was two weeks ago!

Reminds me of last year. UNI gave Loyola its best game in the MVC tournament. What if, oh never mind. Shows what a team can do when it gets on a roll.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post

One’s perspective on today’s games depends on whether you are still worried about avoiding Thursday or if you’re eying a top conference finish. I’ve been in avoid Thursday mode for so long I had already decided to pull for Drake and Loyola. I Probably should start aiming higher at this point.

I do think 3rd is very attainable, 1st is unlikely, 2nd will hinge on our game on Wednesday. But If we can beat Loyola, then one of Drake or MoSt will lose since they play each other to close the season, who knows?
                        1st only happens if we end up ahead in the NET which is possible but not likely.

2nd is realistic. Win out. Loyola loses either today or next Saturday or both (not unrealistic). Drake beats Mizzou State. We most likely pass Loyola in NET if tied and we've got the 2 seed.

​​​​​​Win out and the 3 is probably the worst we can do.
                        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post

You’re absolutely correct that you have the right to be critical. Just realize that when you don’t balance the criticism with any positivity people are going to come back at you. It’s a message board. Team is playing significantly better and the volume of your posts seems to have decreased in relation. Makes people draw some conclusions.
                          I don’t need to balance them out. I’m not in a workplace, church, family reunion or anything remotely close. I come to vent. I don’t need to be judged about negative vs positive comments. Who the hell cares? What does it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

"Took your nose out of my business." YOU'RE IN A PUBLIC THREAD DISCUSSING A BASKETBALL GAME. Are we not supposed to acknowledge your existence unless we agree wholeheartedly? Their big guys combined for 13 points and 6 boards last night after Smits had 21 and 11 on his own at Valpo. We got them in foul trouble early and often by getting shots at the rim. The gameplan worked, I think it's completely fair to question why you think someone should have played more when obviously what Coach Jake went with last night and has gone with the past 4 games is working perfectly.
                            He had them on mcdonnell at valpo because dahl barely played that game. Last night, he got extended minutes in the first half and shut him down. Mcdonnell gave up several easy shots but smits didn’t do much in the second half as they got out of their gameplan playing from behind. And I’d appreciate it if you quit responding to my posts as I’m beyond exhausted from dealing with you.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                              Sure, but Valpo had to play 4 and a half minutes with Smits fouled out and Sarolla with four. That was huge. After that, we got multiple layups. Smart and strong would be great. Luke is playing smart. JD is big and strong, but makes mistakes.
                              As does mcdonnell. The difference is, one is allowed to play through his while the other is pulled immediately and never sees the floor again

Comment

Both Luke and Dahl have strengths and weaknesses to their games, like all players do. The illnesses and injuries to guys like Phyfe, Biggie, Pickford and Wentzien have changed the role for several players and forced the coaching staff to adjust strategy. It took a while for it all to come together and the entire team is playing much better than at the start of conference play. That's a credit to the coaching staff and the players. It wasn't long ago on here that many posters were bemoaning our inevitable status of a Thursday night game in St. Louis. Now there is a legitimate chance we finish high in the upper division of the MVC. Enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Working...
                                X