WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #32 - Southern Illinois - MVC Tournament Quarterfinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game #32 - Southern Illinois - MVC Tournament Quarterfinals

The weekend we've all been looking forward to is finally here! Win three and we're in, lose and it'll be a long off season. Tip for Friday night is set for 8:35 PM. I'll be in St. Louis for the 11th straight season, who else is making the trip?

Barry and the dogs have gotten us twice this season, although both match-ups were before the Panthers started to get it rolling in mid-February.

Round 1: They beat us in the McLeod back on January 6th, 58-51. Pippen went 7-10 for 18 points, Cook and Bartley had 14 and 13. Their bench was a non-factor. A.J. had 16 for us, Trey chipped in with a double-double with 11-11. Our next highest scorer was Luke with 7. Southern Illinois shot it much better than us (not surprising given how we were playing at the time). They shot 45% to our 31.5%, 40% from 3 to our 26.5% on 34 attempts for the Panthers (9 makes), and free throws both teams were pretty poor. Southern Illinois was 16-24 for 66%, UNI was 8-14 for 57%. Rebounds were similar, UNI had the slight edge 34-33 including 13 offensive rebounds to Southern Illinois' 7. UNI had 12 turnovers to Southern Illinois' 14.

Round 2: Southern Illinois used a huge second half run to get us 70-62 at their place on January 23rd. UNI was up 35-19 at halftime and gave up 51 second half points to the Salukis. UNI failed to score for 7+ minutes to start the second half. UNI turned it over 20 times to Southern Illinois 17. Rebounding again was similar with SIU pulling the 32-30 advantage. Cook lead them in scoring with 17, Lloyd Jr. and Beane both had 16 a piece and McGill chipped in with 13. Pippen only played 15 minutes but had 0 fouls, and I don't remember why he didn't play much. A.J. lead us with 22 points but also had 6 turnovers. Isaiah had one of his best games with 10 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 steals to only 2 turnovers.

They say it's tough to beat a team three times in one year. I hope that's true. We avoided Thursday with a Southern Illinois win over Illinois State, so I think a proper thank you would be to send them home on Friday night with a loss to end their season and likely Hinson's SIU career. My head says Southern will edge us out once again, but my heart says Panthers by 5.

I will be there with a group of 5. Looking forward to it as always.

I dont really like our chances in this one to be honest, we just do not match up well with SIU. Between Pippen and Fletcher its just not good for us.

My hope is that we can get hot from 3, control the turnovers, manage the boards, and contol the pace enough to win the game.

Hearing from SIU fans, it sounds like there is a real chance Barry is on his way out, so maybe they will just fall flat on Friday night and we can put them out of their misery.

Win the first one, and you never know, Lets GET IT PANTHERS!
    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Shots fall: We win
      Shots don't fall: We lose

It's actually pretty simple in this one.
      #MACtion

Comment

How can you hate Barry? Does SIU have visions of their old sweet 16 days? Would think he & Kill would get along. Did someone win the lottery and tell Jerry that they could afford someone else with Hinson's experience? I would sure hate to see him leave the Valley again.

Comment

This is the one team I didn't want to play in the opening game. Barry is a quality coach and I think they have more weapons than UNI this year. They are coming off a couple wins, UNI isn't...they have fond memories of erasing a deficit and hanging 51 in a half...UNI doesn't...

I think Loyola did a really nice job defensively disrupting some of UNI's actions in the half court and may have clued in other teams on how to defend an offense that was pretty efficient. BC summed it up pretty accurately that UNI has to shoot it really well to have a chance. SIU is going to be tough to get in the lane against and even if you do, Pippen is still back there as a big body to score against.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
            How can you hate Barry? Does SIU have visions of their old sweet 16 days? Would think he & Kill would get along. Did someone win the lottery and tell Jerry that they could afford someone else with Hinson's experience? I would sure hate to see him leave the Valley again.
            Myth. Barry has beat us a lot due to style but he's not a good coach. 18 years as a head coach. ZERO NCAA Tournament Appearances. I can't imagine how old his shtick gets to his own fan bases.

Allegedly, he's being groomed to run for Governor of Oklahoma.
            #MACtion

Comment

They haven’t been to the tournament since 2007, and Barry has been there for 7 or 8 years now and has not gotten over that hump. Its that simple. Plus, they have a new AD, Jerry Kill, who Isn’t going to put up with losing. And they graduate essentially their entire team this season, so they are looking at another rebuild next year.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

I hope they learned a lesson from Saturday's game that you need to be ready to go from the opening tip. If we dig a quick hole it will be difficult to claw our way out of it. Need to be playing at a high level right away.

Comment

Wait a minute...I thought we were playing Missouri State again?

Comment

Heading down with a group this year...our fifth year in a row making the trip.

Love the tournament and StL is a fun town.

Hope the Panthers come strong on Friday Friday night. Let's go boys.
                    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Looking forward to attending Arch Madness for the 15th consecutive year. Feeling cautiously optimistic about our chances, since we avoided playing on Thursday night. Let's go win this thing!

Comment

To answer the OP about the second game, Pippen did not play much in the second half because they went small. Pippen was 1-5 with 3 turnovers and 3 rebounds, Thik Bol also had 3 boards and 3 turnovers with no points. Our gameplan must have been doing something that made life tough on their posts so Hinson went with 4 guards and Fletcher most of the second half. We countered with Zay taking over the 5 spot on offense for much of the second half.

I think we will be ready for SIU. We have played one good half against them where we shot 50%, and three halves of 27.5, 36 and 36% while letting them have three halves of 63, 43, and 47% shooting. Play the way we played the last 3 weeks minus Saturday and we move on.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Myth. Barry has beat us a lot due to style but he's not a good coach. 18 years as a head coach. ZERO NCAA Tournament Appearances. I can't imagine how old his shtick gets to his own fan bases.

Allegedly, he's being groomed to run for Governor of Oklahoma.

Maybe it would be different if I heard it all the time, but I'll admit that I really enjoy his shtick a few times per year. The guy is one of a kind. And that it probably a good thing.

Comment

They'll likely go after Bryan Mullins, associate head coach at Loyola who was a star player for them during their Golden years of the early 2000s.

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

They'll likely go after Bryan Mullins, associate head coach at Loyola who was a star player for them during their Golden years of the early 2000s.
                              Fun Fact: Brooks McKowen still wakes up in a cold sweat 3 times a week thinking about Mullins beating the hell out of him bringing the ball up the floor
                              #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                              X