WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game#33 Drake MVC Semi final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post

It's really sad to see you think our season 4 years ago was disappointing. We won 23 games, the MVC Tournament Title and beat Texas in the 1st Round of the NCAA Tournament. I tend to think that was a pretty damn good season (one of only 3 in which we have won NCAA Tourney games).

But to each his own.
    You know what I meant. Quit contributing to the nonsense

Comment

• it is very interesting how many people on this board don't think any criticism can be cast on this program or team even in a win. Of course we should all be thrilled that we have made it as far as we have in this tournament. I was standing in front of my tv cheering loud enough for people a couple blocks away to hear. what some people seem to struggle with is that you can be happy with a outcome and still find things you wish were a little different. again, thrilled that we won and very happy for this group of kids. you can be critical that this program has not been able to take advantage of a very down MVC the last couple of years. As I had mentioned earlier we have had the program success of recent where we don't really have an excuse for multiple middle of the road years. Its perfectly ok after the great success we've had to expect more out of the highest paid coach in the valley. The young players on this team really have the ability to take this program to new highs and im very excited about the future after watching this team develop over the year. After driving up to the SDSU game in Minneapolis I would have never thought we would be in the title game.
      Last edited by unipanther2154; 03-10-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• We're just in the middle of that 'program reset' that happens to long term coaches at our level. Rick Byrd went through it. Bob McKillop went through it. Stew Morrill went through it. Rick Majerus went through it.

There's just something about years 12-15 or so. No widespread panic necessary.
        #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          We're just in the middle of that 'program reset' that happens to long term coaches at our level. Rick Byrd went through it. Bob McKillop went through it. Stew Morrill went through it. Rick Majerus went through it.

There's just something about years 12-15 or so. No widespread panic necessary.
          And with the guys we have coming in the next couple years, especially if we can keep Bowen Born in purple, the rest is going to be complete. Born is good friends with Cole Henry from what I've seen, so that's huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
            it is very interesting how many people on this board don't think any criticism can be cast on this program or team even in a win. Of course we should all be thrilled that we have made it as far as we have in this tournament. I was standing in front of my tv cheering loud enough for people a couple blocks away to hear. what some people seem to struggle with is that you can be happy with a outcome and still find things you wish were a little different. again, thrilled that we won and very happy for this group of kids. you can be critical that this program has not been able to take advantage of a very down MVC the last couple of years. As I had mentioned earlier we have had the program success of recent where we don't really have an excuse for multiple middle of the road years. Its perfectly ok after the great success we've had to expect more out of the highest paid coach in the valley. The young players on this team really have the ability to take this program to new highs and im very excited about the future after watching this team develop over the year. After driving up to the SDSU game in Minneapolis I would have never thought we would be in the title game.
            Disagree. Your comment was clear that we need to up our recruiting game. Look at past years, just about everybody on this roster would be on every UNI roster of the past. We aren't and have never been a recruiting powerhouse. If you want to complain about coaching, you probably have a gripe. Complaining about recruiting is nonsense imo.
            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Disagree. Your comment was clear that we need to up our recruiting game. Look at past years, just about everybody on this roster would be on every UNI roster of the past. We aren't and have never been a recruiting powerhouse. If you want to complain about coaching, you probably have a gripe. Complaining about recruiting is nonsense imo.
              If you’re saying that the talent level has stayed the same over the years, you’re incorrect. Jake’s done an OK job of upping the level of player coming in, because he had to. Longer, better feet, just better athletes. That may not always translate to offensive stats, but they’re better defenders and rebounders than the guys in the past. This kind of started with Jeremy Morgan, and is continued with Brown, Pickford, etc. If your roster is full of 6’2 guys who are comparatively slow footed, your ceiling as a team is pretty low.

The level of athlete has gone up over the years because it had to. Some here like me would like to see that go faster, but the trend is there regardless. Put another way, the mid level role player types on teams of the past would not be getting minutes now. Guys like Benny J, Anthony James, etc. would all definitely have roles, sure, but the level of player needs to rise if the program is going to improve vs. national competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
                it is very interesting how many people on this board don't think any criticism can be cast on this program or team even in a win. Of course we should all be thrilled that we have made it as far as we have in this tournament. I was standing in front of my tv cheering loud enough for people a couple blocks away to hear. what some people seem to struggle with is that you can be happy with a outcome and still find things you wish were a little different. again, thrilled that we won and very happy for this group of kids. you can be critical that this program has not been able to take advantage of a very down MVC the last couple of years. As I had mentioned earlier we have had the program success of recent where we don't really have an excuse for multiple middle of the road years. Its perfectly ok after the great success we've had to expect more out of the highest paid coach in the valley. The young players on this team really have the ability to take this program to new highs and im very excited about the future after watching this team develop over the year. After driving up to the SDSU game in Minneapolis I would have never thought we would be in the title game.
                It's not the criticism, it's the timing. Virtually any other time other than in the middle of a possible NCAA tournament run would be fine with most, if not all, fans here. Can't we just enjoy this? We're playing with house money here. There's plenty of time for pros and cons when the season is officially over. Let's talk about the GAME.
                Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                - George Halas

Comment

• The supporting cast for UNI is close to previous years, I don’t think it’s above average by a long shot. What they need is a stud. Somebody that can score or get to the rim when they have to have it and everybody knows he is going to do it.

This year in the Valley you don’t need it. This will be the worst team to come from the Valley into the ncaa in a long long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

If you’re saying that the talent level has stayed the same over the years, you’re incorrect. Jake’s done an OK job of upping the level of player coming in, because he had to. Longer, better feet, just better athletes. That may not always translate to offensive stats, but they’re better defenders and rebounders than the guys in the past. This kind of started with Jeremy Morgan, and is continued with Brown, Pickford, etc. If your roster is full of 6’2 guys who are comparatively slow footed, your ceiling as a team is pretty low.

The level of athlete has gone up over the years because it had to. Some here like me would like to see that go faster, but the trend is there regardless. Put another way, the mid level role player types on teams of the past would not be getting minutes now. Guys like Benny J, Anthony James, etc. would all definitely have roles, sure, but the level of player needs to rise if the program is going to improve vs. national competition.
                    Benny j was a hell of a player. Hardly a role player. He’s one of the better guards in UNI history

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                      The supporting cast for UNI is close to previous years, I don’t think it’s above average by a long shot. What they need is a stud. Somebody that can score or get to the rim when they have to have it and everybody knows he is going to do it.

This year in the Valley you don’t need it. This will be the worst team to come from the Valley into the ncaa in a long long time.

Times 1000. Completely agree

Comment

• Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post

It's not the criticism, it's the timing. Virtually any other time other than in the middle of a possible NCAA tournament run would be fine with most, if not all, fans here. Can't we just enjoy this? We're playing with house money here. There's plenty of time for pros and cons when the season is officially over. Let's talk about the GAME.
                        It’s a message board. This isn’t the postgame party with fans leaving the arena. It’s a freaking message board. Many of you need to grow a pair and start dealing in reality

Comment

• Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

It’s a message board. This isn’t the postgame party with fans leaving the arena. It’s a freaking message board. Many of you need to grow a pair and start dealing in reality
                          Why do you get so upset with people encouraging positive vibes during a time like this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

Benny j was a hell of a player. Hardly a role player. He’s one of the better guards in UNI history
                            I didn’t say he was a role player, I said he’d have a role on a good team that’s more athletic than the team he played on. He was a stud on that squad, for sure. That wasn’t a knock on him at all. Off that era, Eric Crawford could also play on a team that was more athletic than his.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

Why do you get so upset with people encouraging positive vibes during a time like this?
                              Because it’s not necessary for any one poster to have to balance their positive and negative posts and defend their fandom. That’s ridiculous. I’m not playing or coaching in the game so I don’t need to stay positive or only talk positive. I call things like i see them and have high expectations. Those that really know me on here know that i’ve defended the staff in football for years. I’ve wavered on that lately so I’ve been on both sides. But i find it extremely annoying that some get riled up with objective posts during a losing yr. We won because drake was down to 5 healthy players. Am i glad we won? Obviously. Did we deserve to? No. To criticize me for the truth is simple minded

Comment

• Can we all just ignore Mudra today? It's like talking to a brick wall, not worth it and it's consuming the forum

Comment

Working...
                                X