WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 34- Bradley (MVC Championship)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can also fix it to just leave room for common sense. You’re talking about a one-point game with less than two minutes in a conference championship game, and you make a call that essentially gives one team four points and changes the entire complexion of the game because of a technicality. Let the players decide the game.

Overall it was a very fun weekend. I was very proud of the team and Panther Nation this weekend. Congrats to Bradley, they earned it. But I hope the guys realize how proud we are of them.

I think this weekend will pay dividends next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
      Honestly, then why wasn't this called? Sure, it was exaggerated by the guy who got hit here, but there was inadvertent contact to the face, just like our game. 100% agree that replay is ruining sports.

https://thebiglead.com/2019/03/10/li...op-of-the-day/
      Or how about the one where AJ got hit in the face? A split second before Luke’s, so would have seen it on the same replay. It was just as (un)intentional, (non) flagrant, etc. if nothing else would have been a good reason to just say “You know what, two guys, one from each team, both got hit in the face by accident. Play on.”

Comment

• Needed a day to chill before I posted on here. It’s becoming really sad how we allow such large comebacks. Coach needs to realize that him allowing the team to figure it out while letting a large lead disappear isn’t the best move for this current team. Call a damn timeout and settle them down. People can blame the refs and if that makes you feel better because you though we were the better team, more power to you. You can not allow the lowest point total in mvc history for a half and then lose a game, its just unacceptable.

The turnover on our roster (who will be playing meaningful min) for next year could be pretty big. We will hopefully have someone who is actually a 5 playing the 5. You’ll have Croft who will be able to give us more of a true PG and allow AJ to be off the ball when they want him to be. We also bring in those 3 freshmen which I would assume 2 of them would probably find the floor from day one. Luke did a fair job this year for being as thin as he is but I’m curious what his role will be next year. It seems jake wants to go to more of a 4 guard lineup to space the floor with only one big. Luke can obviously shoot from range but he isn’t athletic enough to drive to the hoop consistently. I know Carter hasn’t played a min of college ball but with his game it seems like he may be a better fit at the 4 then Luke leaving him with limited playing time. It will be interesting to see how these guys who didn’t play this year find spots and min on next years team.
        Last edited by unipanther2154; 03-11-2019, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

I knew people would react this way and blame the refs. We blew it. Plain and simple. And the fact is, the last three years have been big fails. That’s reality folks. If you want to keep living in your fantasy world, more power to you. I will tell you this. AJ Green is certainly a talent, but he has zero business being a pg on a team that hopes to be a winner. He makes the team all about him. And those teams down through history have never won. With very rare exceptions. I’m talking at that position (scoring pg). It will make for the next three yrs, a tenuous one, if he stays there. His pg numbers, outside of the meathead ppg stat, are very telling
          Yes we did blow a big lead but pass on slamming AJ for God's sake. The kid is a true Freshman, 19 years old. He scored 23 yesterday in the biggest game of the year for us and is the biggest recruit we've got on campus for quite a while. I've got his back as do 99.9% of Panthernation. Quit being so damn grumpy. It's annoying.
          "Give a cheer Ho, the purple and the gold!!"

Comment

• AJ is the best player but he has difficulty in creating his own shot. Hopefully they get a quicker guard that can play PG occasionally and see how AJ does at off guard.

I wish he would have squared up and took a deep three. He got himself into a mess trying to get in closer.

Comment

• Got home late from St. Louis last night and made the mistake of watching some key plays on the DVR. That didn’t help getting to sleep. A couple thoughts on team and then officiating-

I don’t think in any way this team choked. If you say we didn’t deserve to win because we gave up an 18 point lead, does that mean Bradley didn’t deserve it because they played so poorly to be down that much? This had a much different feel than A&M where it seemed we panicked. This was Bradley making several shots in about a 5 minute stretch to get back into the game, and then it being back and forth. Jake did call a couple time outs as well. Credit Bradley for just continuing to make plays and big shots. We actually hit a few shots that you would have hoped would have stopped the run at around 6 or 4 points. We had a short bench playing their third game in about 40 hours. It’s a 40 minute game for a reason and two relatively evenly matched teams were in a tight game with about 8 to play. Add to that, when we went down 5 we got 2 stops and scored twice. The only points Bradley got were on the 2 late free throws after we fouled them.

On the officiating, sorry if you don’t want to hear blaming the refs, just stop reading now. Higgins may be a Final Four ref, but he either had a bad late game or it’s an indictment on college officiating.

When we still had a 2 point lead with around 4 to play an AJ takes a 3. Higgins is looking right at it and AJ clearly gets hit on the elbow. The best player on the floor yesterday, who ended up 3-6 from 3, airballs it by 2 feet. Jake was on the refs the next several times down the floor, motioning how AJ got hit.

The play with the intentional, first AJ got all ball as he reached in. I will grant you, the refs will call that most times because it just looks bad. But on the technical, Luke’s eyes are up at the basket trying to get position to rebound. He pushed out his hands at approximately his belly button/chest area, but because Bradley player if flopping down, his head is at that level. So yes, he got him in the face, but it was 4 feet off the ground. Also as Dwayne L-O is falling, he throws his arm out and catches AJ right in the face. In many ways it was probably more flagrant than what Luke did. They look at a play in super slow motion when it real time it's a much different play. What is also frustrating about the whole going to the monitor is that Randy H was about 1 second from handing the ball for the FT, the game was moving on. And next you know Higgins wants to go take another look. I’m not even sure what brought on the review, unless Wardle asked.

They missed a blatant travel on Luke when we came back down the floor, I’ll grant you that.

Our last real possession is what really has me disappointed. After AJ shoots, Trae gets the rebound and tries to go back up with a shot. Once again, Higgins is standing right there looking at the play. Darrell Brown had his arms hooked so Trae can barely get off the ground and then as Trae tries to shoot, he effectively pushes him as they become untangled. That’s why Trae ends up on the ground looking at Higgins as if to say “how did you miss that”. As they show the replay from above the basket to see who gets possession, I think there’s a strong case for a hook and hold, at worse there was a clear foul on Brown. So think about that, we're down one and Trae could have had 2 free throws and we get the ball. It’s a reviewable play so they could have seen it when they were looking at possession. I’m not a fan of going to the monitor, but if you’re going to make a critical call against Luke, the same rule needs to apply here.

If you’re not excited about the future of Panther basketball, you’re crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                AJ is the best player but he has difficulty in creating his own shot. Hopefully they get a quicker guard that can play PG occasionally and see how AJ does at off guard.

I wish he would have squared up and took a deep three. He got himself into a mess trying to get in closer.
                Did you say that on Friday? He tried to get the same look, but got doubled yesterday. Whoever was on the wing crashed down on him to disrupt the shot.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
                  Got home late from St. Louis last night and made the mistake of watching some key plays on the DVR. That didn’t help getting to sleep. A couple thoughts on team and then officiating-

I don’t think in any way this team choked. If you say we didn’t deserve to win because we gave up an 18 point lead, does that mean Bradley didn’t deserve it because they played so poorly to be down that much? This had a much different feel than A&M where it seemed we panicked. This was Bradley making several shots in about a 5 minute stretch to get back into the game, and then it being back and forth. Jake did call a couple time outs as well. Credit Bradley for just continuing to make plays and big shots. We actually hit a few shots that you would have hoped would have stopped the run at around 6 or 4 points. We had a short bench playing their third game in about 40 hours. It’s a 40 minute game for a reason and two relatively evenly matched teams were in a tight game with about 8 to play. Add to that, when we went down 5 we got 2 stops and scored twice. The only points Bradley got were on the 2 late free throws after we fouled them.

On the officiating, sorry if you don’t want to hear blaming the refs, just stop reading now. Higgins may be a Final Four ref, but he either had a bad late game or it’s an indictment on college officiating.

When we still had a 2 point lead with around 4 to play an AJ takes a 3. Higgins is looking right at it and AJ clearly gets hit on the elbow. The best player on the floor yesterday, who ended up 3-6 from 3, airballs it by 2 feet. Jake was on the refs the next several times down the floor, motioning how AJ got hit.

The play with the intentional, first AJ got all ball as he reached in. I will grant you, the refs will call that most times because it just looks bad. But on the technical, Luke’s eyes are up at the basket trying to get position to rebound. He pushed out his hands at approximately his belly button/chest area, but because Bradley player if flopping down, his head is at that level. So yes, he got him in the face, but it was 4 feet off the ground. Also as Dwayne L-O is falling, he throws his arm out and catches AJ right in the face. In many ways it was probably more flagrant than what Luke did. They look at a play in super slow motion when it real time it's a much different play. What is also frustrating about the whole going to the monitor is that Randy H was about 1 second from handing the ball for the FT, the game was moving on. And next you know Higgins wants to go take another look. I’m not even sure what brought on the review, unless Wardle asked.

They missed a blatant travel on Luke when we came back down the floor, I’ll grant you that.

Our last real possession is what really has me disappointed. After AJ shoots, Trae gets the rebound and tries to go back up with a shot. Once again, Higgins is standing right there looking at the play. Darrell Brown had his arms hooked so Trae can barely get off the ground and then as Trae tries to shoot, he effectively pushes him as they become untangled. That’s why Trae ends up on the ground looking at Higgins as if to say “how did you miss that”. As they show the replay from above the basket to see who gets possession, I think there’s a strong case for a hook and hold, at worse there was a clear foul on Brown. So think about that, we're down one and Trae could have had 2 free throws and we get the ball. It’s a reviewable play so they could have seen it when they were looking at possession. I’m not a fan of going to the monitor, but if you’re going to make a critical call against Luke, the same rule needs to apply here.

This... plus AJ was pretty obviously fouled on the shot at the end of the first half too. I don't care if Higgins is a Final Four ref, he had a bad day. Bad days happen, but it sure is frustrating.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

You don’t have a clue who the hell you are talking to or what you are talking about
                    I don't claim to be anyone important, because I'm not. I'm just a Panther fan like anyone else here. If anyone cares enough to want to know who I am, I'll gladly say so.

You seem to like to hint at being some sort of big-time player. Either you aren't, and you are just trolling... Or worse, you are and hide behind your anonymity here to say negative things about the program you wouldn't say publicly.

I don't have a problem with criticism of the team here. It is a message board after all. But hinting that others should value your opinion more because you're a big shot, but don't want to use your actual big-shot name to influence the change you seem to seek seems kinda wrong in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Did you say that on Friday? He tried to get the same look, but got doubled yesterday. Whoever was on the wing crashed down on him to disrupt the shot.
                      I would say that every time at end of game situations with him. He isn’t great at creating his own shots. He is good at squatting up and shooting threes up to nba range.

it we were talking Wes Washpun I would say the exact opposite.

Doesnt mean it it would work out or not work out in any specific instance.

Against better competition AJ isn’t going to be dribble driving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
                        Got home late from St. Louis last night and made the mistake of watching some key plays on the DVR. That didn’t help getting to sleep. A couple thoughts on team and then officiating-

Well said. The officials dramatically reduced our chances of winning the game with a series of bad calls, and an absurd technical on Luke. The idea that it was 100% or 150% (ha!) the right call is wrong, they screwed up.

That being said, we really rallied after that devastating T and still had a chance to win, further proof this wasn't a choke.

Side note: I'd respectively ask the mods to take a look at a certain poster and see what he is adding to this site, or how much he is deterring others from posting and just driving down traffic. I have a full understanding of the mute function, but it doesn't really address the issue. My favorite PN rule is: The owners of Panther Nation reserve the right to ban any site visitor for any reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post

I would say that every time at end of game situations with him. He isn’t great at creating his own shots. He is good at squatting up and shooting threes up to nba range.

it we were talking Wes Washpun I would say the exact opposite.

Doesnt mean it it would work out or not work out in any specific instance.

Against better competition AJ isn’t going to be dribble driving.
                          At this point you're right. However, you're comparing 19 year old freshman AJ to Senior Wes Washpun. As AJ continues to develop upper body strength, he's going to be able to get the rim and create space better. That's the piece that is going to make him an absolute stud. When he adds that, and he will, he's really going to put people on skates because you're going to have to decide either to hedge hard to take away the drive or play a little loose and allow the mid-range jumper.

He's miles and miles ahead of both Wes and Kwadzo at the same point in their careers.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• Its amazing how much some of you expect from freshman AJ Green.

Freshman of the year
                            3rd team all conference
                            All Newcomer team
                            All MVC Tourney Team
                            Leading scorer on the team
                            Averaged 15 pts, 3 reb, 2 asst

The only other Panther in the last 10 years to average 15 ppg was Seth Tuttle and he was an All American.

We got ourselves an incredible player, and I PROMISE you that he is going to work his ass off all offseason on his ball handling, his strength, and whatever other deficiency he may have. Can’t wait for the next three seasons.
                            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

At this point you're right. However, you're comparing 19 year old freshman AJ to Senior Wes Washpun. As AJ continues to develop upper body strength, he's going to be able to get the rim and create space better. That's the piece that is going to make him an absolute stud. When he adds that, and he will, he's really going to put people on skates because you're going to have to decide either to hedge hard to take away the drive or play a little loose and allow the mid-range jumper.

He's miles and miles ahead of both Wes and Kwadzo at the same point in their careers.
                              Kid is an absolute gym rat. We have all seen how good his handles are already, but BC is absolutely right, he's a 19 year old kid. Of course he's going to have some turnovers as much as he handles the ball. Of course his body isn't going to be quite ready for this level of physicality. Very few are, and the ones that are built for it and have AJ's talent are typically leaving after one or two seasons. He will be just fine, break a lot of records, and win a lot of games in March.

Comment

• Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                                Its amazing how much some of you expect from freshman AJ Green.

Freshman of the year
                                3rd team all conference
                                All Newcomer team
                                All MVC Tourney Team
                                Leading scorer on the team
                                Averaged 15 pts, 3 reb, 2 asst

The only other Panther in the last 10 years to average 15 ppg was Seth Tuttle and he was an All American.

We got ourselves an incredible player, and I PROMISE you that he is going to work his ass off all offseason on his ball handling, his strength, and whatever other deficiency he may have. Can’t wait for the next three seasons.
                                Not discussed much on this board is how much his defense improved as the season went on, expect him to continue to make big strides there, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X