WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI MBB offseason thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by williebat View Post

good point. but Luke and biggie don't seem like championship caliber players. Dahl is good for 10 minutes of defense a game with zero points. Phyfe should start with Henry coming off the bench. Limit Luke minutes keep biggie and dahl same minutes as this year.
    Was that last game the only one you saw, because Dahl was much better offensively than you give him credit for. Admittedly he had a rough go offensively Sunday. For the season he led Luke in most offensive stats per minute played, other than assists.

Also no offense to the kid, but people sure have a high opinion of Phyfe. He played in a lot less games of course, but his stats on offense are really no better than Dahls either, and clearly worse on defense. Everyone on here is just assuming he's the man like he's another Grant Stout, but his play doesn't bear it out. Now maybe his health issues contributed to that, but no one knows they won't continue to.

We switched our offense up this year to a style that doesn't really use a true post player. Apparently it was successful on offense, but was definitely a liability on defense. I don't see us going back to the traditional style after one year regardless of who we have for post players, and I see Dahl as our only true post player again next year anyway.
    GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

I'm not sure I agree with this. It fits Wyatt, Spencer and AJ pretty well as they are a threat to shoot it on the hand off. Guys like Pickford and Brown, not so much and it makes them taking the hand off pretty easy to defend. Pickford is excellent running the baseline and finding lanes to cut to the rim, but I don't see him as a guy to step back off a hand off to shoot a 3 or pull up in the mid-range. Ideally the staff can put their heads together and come up with some variations that exploit Pickford's strengths on offense because he does a lot of really good things defensively and on the glass.

For the sake of discussion only and not to argue....In terms of Tuttle being added to the staff, is their a limit on the number of assistants a team can have? If not, can they find the money to add him as an assistant going forward? It's fine to say PJ should spread some resumes, but watching a game he is always the assistant who seems the most well prepared in terms of the scouting report and knowing what the other team does and where guys should be on defense. The argument could be made that Jake can handle the defensive schemes that PJ is, but I don't know enough about the overall role of each coach.... How involved is PJ in recruiting compared to Crawford? Could Tuttle take Netten's place as Dir. of Ops or what limitations would that place on his coaching? If Tuttle and Crawford are both running the offense now, do you need to keep both around or could Tuttle handle the offense and PJ the defense or would you lose too much in the recruiting game if Crawford isn't there? Like I said, I only ask to start a discussion because I don't follow the day-to-day close enough to know what role each coach has carved out.
      Good post.

You are allowed 3 on court assistants and a grad manager that can be on the floor during practice. The Dir of Ops can't be on the floor during practice and is more or less a glorified travel agent.

Chances are good that Tut doesn't stick around and goes and finds somewhere else to start like Brooks McKowen and Jake Koch did. I was more or less being facetious about PJ and it didn't come across well. He's been here for 14 years and does a ton with scouting, I don't think he's headed anywhere. PJ and Crawford both have strong ties to recruiting around and that's something that Tuttle has never done. That's a whole new world.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

I'm not sure I agree with this. It fits Wyatt, Spencer and AJ pretty well as they are a threat to shoot it on the hand off. Guys like Pickford and Brown, not so much and it makes them taking the hand off pretty easy to defend. Pickford is excellent running the baseline and finding lanes to cut to the rim, but I don't see him as a guy to step back off a hand off to shoot a 3 or pull up in the mid-range. Ideally the staff can put their heads together and come up with some variations that exploit Pickford's strengths on offense because he does a lot of really good things defensively and on the glass.

For the sake of discussion only and not to argue....In terms of Tuttle being added to the staff, is their a limit on the number of assistants a team can have? If not, can they find the money to add him as an assistant going forward? It's fine to say PJ should spread some resumes, but watching a game he is always the assistant who seems the most well prepared in terms of the scouting report and knowing what the other team does and where guys should be on defense. The argument could be made that Jake can handle the defensive schemes that PJ is, but I don't know enough about the overall role of each coach.... How involved is PJ in recruiting compared to Crawford? Could Tuttle take Netten's place as Dir. of Ops or what limitations would that place on his coaching? If Tuttle and Crawford are both running the offense now, do you need to keep both around or could Tuttle handle the offense and PJ the defense or would you lose too much in the recruiting game if Crawford isn't there? Like I said, I only ask to start a discussion because I don't follow the day-to-day close enough to know what role each coach has carved out.
        In terms of LACK of staff turnover, we're in the 1% of D1 programs. Not sure that's a good thing.

I agree with BC, no chance the offense changes significantly. It's just a matter of whether Phyfe and maybe Henry (as a Freshman) can run it better than Luke, along with being better able to defend. I'm hopeful Phyfe can do that. From what I've seen of Henry, he really fits that point forward role very well, but he can't play if he shoots 35% from the FT line.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

No chance.

This offense was the most efficient offense in the Valley for most of the league season. It fits our personnel perfectly. It's not going anywhere nor should it. Henry and Phyfe are both great passers that fit this offense perfectly.
          Curious what stats you are looking at to back this up? We landed #4 in valley play for offensive efficiency according to kenpom. #236 amongst all D1 teams on the season. Granted we are a completely different team now than during OOC and a good chunk of valley play.

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post

Curious what stats you are looking at to back this up? We landed #4 in valley play for offensive efficiency according to kenpom. #236 amongst all D1 teams on the season. Granted we are a completely different team now than during OOC and a good chunk of valley play.
            I don't have time right now, but I'll dig it out. If you look at conference games only, we were first until the putrid Indiana State game.

Think of how good we had to be in conference play to overcome the OOC. We were 319 in KenPom going into league play. It takes crazy numbers to jump 80 spots when almost half of your schedule is already over.
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by OhNewby View Post

In terms of LACK of staff turnover, we're in the 1% of D1 programs. Not sure that's a good thing.

I agree with BC, no chance the offense changes significantly. It's just a matter of whether Phyfe and maybe Henry (as a Freshman) can run it better than Luke, along with being better able to defend. I'm hopeful Phyfe can do that. From what I've seen of Henry, he really fits that point forward role very well, but he can't play if he shoots 35% from the FT line.
              I'm not arguing whether it is a good or bad thing, more or less just trying to get the background on what each is responsible for. One could argue some turnover would be good to bring in fresh ideas. The team ran a new offense brought in by a 1st year grad assistant. A skeptic could ask what have the 3 full time assistants brought to the table for ideas prior to that? You could look at it differently too and wonder if the assistants had brought other offensive ideas in the past and they maybe weren't trusted by Jake? If they weren't trusted after several years on staff, but a 1st year grad assistant was trusted maybe it is time for changes?
              Unfortunately, it's the week before the tournament starts and the season is over and that leaves all kinds of time for "what ifs" and questions on sites like this one...

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I don't have time right now, but I'll dig it out. If you look at conference games only, we were first until the putrid Indiana State game.

Think of how good we had to be in conference play to overcome the OOC. We were 319 in KenPom going into league play. It takes crazy numbers to jump 80 spots when almost half of your schedule is already over.
                http://www.barttorvik.com/?year=2019...ll&mingames=0#

I sorted it from the beginning of conference play to right before the Loyola game. Offense was #2 in the league pre-ISUblue game. You can mess with the sort more if you would like but I know at some point we were the #1 offense. Defense was the issue a majority of the conference season but got considerably better as the season went on.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum2010 View Post

http://www.barttorvik.com/?year=2019...ll&mingames=0#

I sorted it from the beginning of conference play to right before the Loyola game. Offense was #2 in the league pre-ISUblue game. You can mess with the sort more if you would like but I know at some point we were the #1 offense. Defense was the issue a majority of the conference season but got considerably better as the season went on.
                  We were dead last among valley teams in the OOC. I would say that's a huge improvement

Comment

I think we have some of the best coaches in the country and I'm encouraged going into next year but we need to be realistic. Everyone talks about how "well" we played the last month but the bottom line is that we were 6-5 in our last 11 games and NONE of those games were against teams who were in the Top 130 nationally in the NET Rankings. The Valley being at an all-time low is most discouraging to me. We're 41-49 against D1 teams since the A&M game (3 years). That's not good.

We need to find a way out of this 3-year rut and claiming "we played well down the stretch" isn't enough. Our coaches are genius X's and O's coaches. We just need a few more horses!

ALSO: Why the heck do I get a "invalid URL" when I try to post. I put the website below because it was the only way it would allow me to post. Odd?
                    The official website for the University of Northern Iowa Panthers athletics
                    Last edited by InterludePanther; 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by InterludePanther View Post
                      I think we have some of the best coaches in the country and I'm encouraged going into next year but we need to be realistic. Everyone talks about how "well" we played the last month but the obttom line is that we were 6-5 in our last 11 games and NONE of those games were against teams who were in the Top 130 nationally in the NET Rankings. The Valley being at an all-time low is most discouraging to me. We're 41-49 against D1 teams since the A&M game (3 years). That's not good.

We need to find a way out of this 3-year rut and claiming "we played well down the stretch" isn't enough. Our coaches are genius X's and O's coaches. We just need a few more horses!
                      I agree, this is a very fair post.
                      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

I think we have some of the best coaches in the country and I'm encouraged going into next year but we need to be realistic. Everyone talks about how "well" we played the last month but the bottom line is that we were 6-5 in our last 11 games and NONE of those games were against teams who were in the Top 130 nationally in the NET Rankings. The Valley being at an all-time low is most discouraging to me. We're 41-49 against D1 teams since the A&M game (3 years). That's not good.

ALSO: Why the heck do I get a "invalid URL" when I try to post. I put the website below because it was the only way it would allow me to post. Odd?
                        Good points. Can't argue the valley was in really bad shape this year.

What I will argue is the valley should be in considerably better shape next year (at least the top half), and I think it's an attainable goal for this team to not only win the valley, but win it by a sizeable margin. That's my expectation.

It honestly should be the minimum expectation of the program with the best and highest paid coach by a long shot. If we hit that bar, I think it really sets us up nicely for the coming years and we could be the UNI of the past with no Wichita in our way.

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post

Good points. Can't argue the valley was in really bad shape this year.

What I will argue is the valley should be in considerably better shape next year (at least the top half), and I think it's an attainable goal for this team to not only win the valley, but win it by a sizeable margin. That's my expectation.

It honestly should be the minimum expectation of the program with the best and highest paid coach by a long shot. If we hit that bar, I think it really sets us up nicely for the coming years and we could be the UNI of the past with no Wichita in our way.
                          There’s some reason for hope next year, but there’s zero evidence we’ll win the conference by a sizable margin. And having the highest paid coach doesn’t suddenly rectify some the things lacking on the roster.

Comment

The rest of your post is true, but none of it backs up your initial claim that we have some of the best coaches in the country. The best coaches in the country rarely have 3 years slumps. We wouldn't be the first program to have it's coach lose his edge after getting the huge bucks, it's quite common actually. And we're really only a Seth Tuttle away from being a pretty mediocre program the last 8-9 years. Lucky for us the money schools rarely take a chance on a small school kid.
                            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                              The rest of your post is true, but none of it backs up your initial claim that we have some of the best coaches in the country. The best coaches in the country rarely have 3 years slumps. We wouldn't be the first program to have it's coach lose his edge after getting the huge bucks, it's quite common actually. And we're really only a Seth Tuttle away from being a pretty mediocre program the last 8-9 years. Lucky for us the money schools rarely take a chance on a small school kid.
                              This.

Some will say we almost made the tournament with our worst team in recent memory. Some will say why are we so bad in year 13 of a "great" coach. Doesn't matter which it is but it absolutely has to get better soon or else the discussion might be what is a bigger train wreck, football or basketball. ;(

Comment

Also, I hope Gregggg is enjoying the AAC. Like everyone knew it is a better conference but travel is a nightmare. No rivals, no one cares about them etc.

Not to mention, with there worst team in recent memory they would have rolled through the awful MVC this year and made the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X