WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI MBB offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post

Wait, there's a UNI podcast? I feel like you buried the lead there.
    Yep...I think it just started this winter. Google “On UNI Podcast” and you should get links to listen on iTunes or SoundCloud. I think the 2018/19 basketball season in review is up now.

Wait...links can also be found here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...mplate=amphtml

Comment

A&M is only open because they think they can get Buzz Williams. If he says no, that search gets weird quick.

They've got so much money wrapped up in Jimbo Fischer ($75 Million!!) that they only want to pay about $2 Million for a basketball coach. That's not much money to tell a guy that he gets to come in and constantly play second fiddle.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BobCat View Post

Yep...I think it just started this winter. Google “On UNI Podcast” and you should get links to listen on iTunes or SoundCloud. I think the 2018/19 basketball season in review is up now.

Wait...links can also be found here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...mplate=amphtml
        Thanks! I had no idea this existed either.

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
          So I was listening to the "On UNI Podcast" this afternoon, if you haven't listened I highly recommend it. Great insight from Cole Bair and Nick Petaros, the Gazette and Courier UNI beat writers respectively ...
          Nice. Thanks for posting about the new podcast here, Wx.
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Not UNI related, but Valley related - big loss for Valpo...

In grad transfer news, per @JWReamer Derrik Smits is transferring from Valpo. Zionsville, Indiana native averaged 12.2 points and 5.7 rebounds per game this season.
            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
              Not UNI related, but Valley related - big loss for Valpo...

In grad transfer news, per @JWReamer Derrik Smits is transferring from Valpo. Zionsville, Indiana native averaged 12.2 points and 5.7 rebounds per game this season.
              Doesn't completely surprise me since he got moved to the bench in favor of Sorella, but still...whoa

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post

I hear this from time to time. It’s like nature-vs-nurture. Not sure it’s resolvable. And I’m not disputing that recruiting is VERY important.
                In the NBA games I’ve seen over the last several years, I hear names like Sharon Collins, Xavier Henry, Cole Aldrich, etc. Not one of our squad from 2010 made the NBA.
                And yet Coach Jake got two wins in the dance that year and nearly a third. Coaching beat recruiting in those games. Period.

The bigger issue is that while we can keep our coaching at a high level, there are issues like prestige, facilities, perks, and cheating that make recruiting at the P5 level frankly not possible. You just can’t make it happen. So even if recruiting is more important than coaching, which I don’t think so, coaching is the factor you can pay for
                Agreed that coaching is more of a controlled variable to recruiting an uncontrolled variable, but let's not confuse two tourney wins almost a decade ago as proof that it's clearly the more important variable of the two.
                Individual games are a small sample size, whereas seasons are larger sample sizes.
                Coaching can win any game at any time, upsets happen, but recruiting builds a program's foundation and fuels it's season-long (or many seasons) success.

Comment

Javon Freeman is transferring from Valpo....holy crap they're hurting

Comment

Javon Freeman is transferring from Valpo....holy crap they're hurting
                    Ouch, also a blow for the valley in general. Valpo could have been pretty good.

How confident are we everyone at UNI is sticking around? Seems like Coach Jake does an excellent job of retaining players while other Valley teams get gut punched with important transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post

Ouch, also a blow for the valley in general. Valpo could have been pretty good.

How confident are we everyone at UNI is sticking around? Seems like Coach Jake does an excellent job of retaining players while other Valley teams get gut punched with important transfers.
                      Valpo is going to be awful until Bryce Drew gets fired at Vanderbilt and comes crawling home. They've never won without a Drew leading the program and, frankly, they were pretty bad for most of Homer's tenure until Bryce played for him. Lottich is in so far over his head he can't even see the surface.

I haven't heard anything about anybody transferring and I'd be absolutely shocked if we lost anyone to transfer.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Valpo is going to be awful until Bryce Drew gets fired at Vanderbilt and comes crawling home. They've never won without a Drew leading the program and, frankly, they were pretty bad for most of Homer's tenure until Bryce played for him. Lottich is in so far over his head he can't even see the surface.

I haven't heard anything about anybody transferring and I'd be absolutely shocked if we lost anyone to transfer.
                        It's too bad the OVC doesn't do exchanges even if we still have the receipt for Valpo.

Sad that we could have had a year of Ja Morant in the Valley

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post

It's too bad the OVC doesn't do exchanges even if we still have the receipt for Valpo.

Sad that we could have had a year of Ja Morant in the Valley
                          Totally agree. Though I'm not sure they'd take Valpo back as damaged as they are...
                          #MACtion

Comment

Lottich has spent the better part of two years blaming the refs and injuries for his and his team’s failures so this doesnt really surprise me.

Bakari Evelyn is also transferring as a grad trasfer so his roster is now gutted for next year.
                            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Totally agree. Though I'm not sure they'd take Valpo back as damaged as they are...
                              They were in the Horizon though, right? 1 out of 2 isn't bad though for replacement schools, Loyola was certainly the right call. I still think we expand to 12 at some point and add Murray State. Northern Kentucky still seems like a solid add to me, but that could just be them being in a weaker conference. Certainly better than Valpo for facilities

Comment

They were in the Horizon though, right?
                                Yea you're right that was my mistake

Comment

Working...
                                X