WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI MBB offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
    Javon Freeman is transferring from Valpo....holy crap they're hurting

Where are you guys getting this information? I would love to keep tabs on this stuff.

Comment

Another way of looking at the Valpo situation is that they have been to the NCAA tournament 9 times since 1996. "Experts" on this board made fun of Porter Moser and Loyola until recently. We pissed and moaned about how Elgin and the Valley completely screwed up by taking Loyola.

Valpo is in a bad place, but it happens. Bradley made the Sweet Sixteen and it took them 13 years to get back to the tournament, playing numerous Thursday nights on the way. As we have found the last three years, prior success is no guarantee of current wins. There are very few programs that win every year, and the FBI seems to have a problem with a couple of those schools.

We are a little spoiled at UNI and hopefully we will continue to be spoiled in the next few years. Winning isn't easy and it certainly is not guaranteed. Lottich is probably in trouble, but as Loyola has shown we have really have no idea what is around the corner for any of us.
      "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
        Not UNI related, but Valley related - big loss for Valpo...

In grad transfer news, per @JWReamer Derrik Smits is transferring from Valpo. Zionsville, Indiana native averaged 12.2 points and 5.7 rebounds per game this season.
        Any chance he wants to join another Valley team??? Perhaps a team lacking size and skill in the post? I obviously don't really expect that, but it would be nice for a year.

Comment

Okay, so now I've wandered deep down the rabbit hole and am paying way too much attention to transfers. It looks like Northwestern is losing a few contributors as well. Falzon and Benson are both bigs and Ash is a guard, but they all saw playing time. I just wonder if any of these midwest guys possibly end up in the Valley or if they go to other power 6 conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post

Any chance he wants to join another Valley team??? Perhaps a team lacking size and skill in the post? I obviously don't really expect that, but it would be nice for a year.
            To answer your first question, twitter. I follow most of the MVC beat writers so when something happens involving one of those teams, I'll probably see it. As far as this post, we have JD, Phyfe, Luke, and Biggie all back next year with Henry, Betz, and Krogmann coming in. We don't need another post player and don't have a scholarship anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by domedays View Post
              Another way of looking at the Valpo situation is that they have been to the NCAA tournament 9 times since 1996. "Experts" on this board made fun of Porter Moser and Loyola until recently. We pissed and moaned about how Elgin and the Valley completely screwed up by taking Loyola.

Valpo is in a bad place, but it happens. Bradley made the Sweet Sixteen and it took them 13 years to get back to the tournament, playing numerous Thursday nights on the way. As we have found the last three years, prior success is no guarantee of current wins. There are very few programs that win every year, and the FBI seems to have a problem with a couple of those schools.

We are a little spoiled at UNI and hopefully we will continue to be spoiled in the next few years. Winning isn't easy and it certainly is not guaranteed. Lottich is probably in trouble, but as Loyola has shown we have really have no idea what is around the corner for any of us.
              Porter still isn't a very good coach. Much like Fran, he had shown an ability to recruit quality players, but is not good at Xs and Os of the game. In regards to Valpo, Loyola was 264 in the KenPom their first year, and hasn't been outside the top 200 since because recruiting got better for year 2. Valpo dropped in KenPom from year 1 to year 2 almost 70 spots, THEN had a mass exodus of basically 3 of their most important players. Loyola showed progress and had lots of potential with wealthy dontators and an pretty nice arena in Chicago. Valpo has a high school gym equivalent, I'd rather have Wartburg's arena, and isn't exactly located in a big city with people willing to throw money into the program. They have had 3 or 4 good years all time which somehow made them look like a better add than Murray State. That was 100% a mistake on the part of Elgin

Comment

100% not on Elgin. You can throw the blame at Drake and Bradley. They hold all the power with the private schools and would not have allowed Evansville and Loyola to vote for a football playing, average academics public school.
                #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

Porter still isn't a very good coach. Much like Fran, he had shown an ability to recruit quality players, but is not good at Xs and Os of the game. In regards to Valpo, Loyola was 264 in the KenPom their first year, and hasn't been outside the top 200 since because recruiting got better for year 2. Valpo dropped in KenPom from year 1 to year 2 almost 70 spots, THEN had a mass exodus of basically 3 of their most important players. Loyola showed progress and had lots of potential with wealthy dontators and an pretty nice arena in Chicago. Valpo has a high school gym equivalent, I'd rather have Wartburg's arena, and isn't exactly located in a big city with people willing to throw money into the program. They have had 3 or 4 good years all time which somehow made them look like a better add than Murray State. That was 100% a mistake on the part of Elgin
                  I think its pretty laughable to say Moser isn’t a good coach after 2 straight Valley titles, a Final 4, and an NIT. What, he has beaten UNI like 8 times in a row now?

Come on.
                  UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                  iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                    100% not on Elgin. You can throw the blame at Drake and Bradley. They hold all the power with the private schools and would not have allowed Evansville and Loyola to vote for a football playing, average academics public school.
                    I suppose I should have stated it was a mistake on the part of the conference choosing Valpo over Murray State, but I understand the politics that go into that. Also I didn't realize Evansville was private, a school like Murray State being added would certainly help them financially with low travel costs to go there and a lot of fans making the trip to Evansville if Murray State came to the Ford Center. Murray fans already travel there in droves for the OVC tournament.

Comment

• Valpo will ultimately be fine in the MVC as they're a good fit in a lot of ways.........but they made the wrong choice. Murray is a better program with better recruiting, a better fan base and better facilities. Valpo would have been a perfectly acceptable choice if Murray wasn't an option. Murray moves the needle. Valpo just doesn't lower it.

Comment

• What I don't get about the whole public/private thing is that Wichita is a public school. Murray seemed more like a like-for-like replacement than Valpo. Just like Loyola had similarities to Creighton when they came in.

Comment

• Scholarship Football vs NonScholarship Football/No Football is probably a better description.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• Brady Ernst is transferring from Florida Gulf Coast. Wasn't he someone we recruited?

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                              Scholarship Football vs NonScholarship Football/No Football is probably a better description.
                              So why is that such a big deal?

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post

So why is that such a big deal?
                                The privates, wrongly, have this idea that if we didn't have football that our basketball budgets would increase and that we'd be basketball first schools and not share the attention with football. The hole in their logic is we spend more than they do on real basketball expenses than they do.

I didn't say it was a good reason, just is their reasoning
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X