WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI MBB offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did saw that he visited Nebraska-Omaha and Missouri State last year, so I figured they would have an edge. Also, I did see an article from last fall that noted Tartan HS "had the best statistical defense in Class AAAA" in 2017 and called him the leader -- I would be excited to see a strong mix of athleticism and defensive ability.

I was also curious if this would affect the recruiting of Bowen Born. .(Verbal Comm still lists us and D as the only schools in on him so far, which is surprising. I figured UMKC, Omaha and a slew of DII's would have been in on him)
    Last edited by BobCat; 04-03-2019, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PanthersMBB View Post
      It’s funny how people think players are just going to come in and play right away They have to learn a lot and be a good fit with the team. I hope he can play right away but a lot of work to accomplish.
      We do have a history of point guards making major contributions for four years straight. McKowen, Ahelegbhe, Mitchell.

But hopefully AJ, Trae, Spence and Tywhon make it difficult for him to find minutes. If doesn't play for that reason its a good thing.

Comment

• This doesn't preclude Born in any way. Totally different skill sets and players.
        #MACtion

Comment

It’s funny how people think players are just going to come in and play right away They have to learn a lot and be a good fit with the team. I hope he can play right away but a lot of work to accomplish.
          I think a lot of us, and rightly so, are sick of entire classes that are projects. I get there has to be a developmental piece at this level but it doesn't have to be the sole source of players.

It's nice to have a kid come in from a familiar program with a college ready body. There's no reason not to expect him to see the floor.
          #MACtion

Comment

• How many is that from Tartan now?
            "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              This doesn't preclude Born in any way. Totally different skill sets and players.
              Kimmons is very Washpun/Ahelegbe like watching his video. Born is way more AJ like with his passing ability and quick trigger of a jumper.

Comment

• How does Kimmons compare height wise to Kwadzo and Wes? Watching video that's my main concern, hopefully his quickness makes up for it though.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                  How does Kimmons compare height wise to Kwadzo and Wes? Watching video that's my main concern, hopefully his quickness makes up for it though.
                  Kwadzo was 6'2, Washpun 6'1, Kimmons 6'0 flat

Comment

• 6’1” with the hair?

Comment

• My goodness. It will be fun to see what he can do. The athleticism is a welcomed addition for sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                        How does Kimmons compare height wise to Kwadzo and Wes? Watching video that's my main concern, hopefully his quickness makes up for it though.
                        His jump shot looks a little more smooth than those two same age. The mechanics are fine but he has a higher than average release point and elevates very nicely.

Comment

• https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...a1dc9dea5.html

Here's a story on the commitment. Sounds like we are getting a fierce competitor

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I think a lot of us, and rightly so, are sick of entire classes that are projects. I get there has to be a developmental piece at this level but it doesn't have to be the sole source of players.

It's nice to have a kid come in from a familiar program with a college ready body. There's no reason not to expect him to see the floor.
                            That’s very understandable, but the “project thing” seems to be a part of this staff’s plan. Or, at the very least, that’s usually how it shakes out.

This kid sounds like a good get. He should get some time if he can play D, since it sounds like he brings a different offensive element than the other guards on the roster. He’s also just a FR, so jumping to 30 wins is unrealistic.

Comment

Every one of the players we have recruited from Tartan have come in and played (and contributed) immediately. Kwadzo played significant minutes backing up McKowen as a freshman, Sonnen was in the regular rotation of the Sweet 16 team, Eric Coleman was Freshman of the Year. Crawford had to sit a year as a transfer but was an immediate impact player at Bowling Green as a freshman (started 29 of 33 games on a team that went 24-9) and was really a key in McD's teams becoming a tournament team.

edit: Just read the Courier article. He's been training with Sonnen. He'll be ready.
                              Last edited by Khan4Cats; 04-04-2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Every clip I've seen of him really shows he's got good upper body strength. That is so, so huge in a physical league like the Valley.
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X