WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI MBB offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    Norton ain't getting a waiver. He's done.

Year 2 is always harder than Year 1. I think they're going to be fine in the future but the rebuild catches somewhere. I'd pencil them in 5th/6th right now which is actually a helluva year for Drake.

Super, super early look at next year--

Tier 1--Missouri State, UNI, Loyola

Tier 2--Bradley, Illinois State

Tier 3--Illinois State, Drake, Evansville, Indiana State

Tier 4- Southern Illinois, Valpo
    Drake has more coming back than you give them credit for. Your placement of UNI also seems a little optimistic. There’s reason for optimism, but I’m more cautiously optimistic. I’ll be glad if you’re right and I’m wrong, but we’ll see.

Comment

• I don't even know how to project a lineup with these guys... what about our other freshmen, do they all red shirt? Either way we have a lot of depth. Also, I wonder when we'll hear about Biggie's possible red shirt.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Love the new Tartan addition. Had time to watch some highlights on him tonight. I think he's going to contribute right away. Would be great to start getting some freshmen that can come in and just give us 10 minutes a game. He looks like he is going to be bring some fight to the lineup. I remember Josten when he was young would just come in as a back up and D the other teams point guard up full court. Looks like he knows how to attack the hoop.

We have been pretty successfully lately grabbing kids late in the recruiting process.

Pumped already for next year. I still think Phyfe playing big minutes will be key. Hope he is ready for a successful 3 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Drake has more coming back than you give them credit for. Your placement of UNI also seems a little optimistic. There’s reason for optimism, but I’m more cautiously optimistic. I’ll be glad if you’re right and I’m wrong, but we’ll see.
          I disagree. Top 3 player in the league surrounded by a bunch of older guys and back to full strength injury wise is a recipe that has worked over and over and over in the Valley.
          #MACtion

Comment

I disagree. Top 3 player in the league surrounded by a bunch of older guys and back to full strength injury wise is a recipe that has worked over and over and over in the Valley.
            I agree, and I think people are severely underrating how badly the injuries to Phyfe and Ty hurt us last year. Ty was roughly 50% healthy and couldnt shoot or dunk the ball when he was actually on the court last season.

Getting those two back healthy, with AJ, and a deep and experienced roster, expectations should be very high.
            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

I am very optimistic about our chances to finish next year in the top 2 or 3 but I highly doubt that we will be picked any higher than 4th in the pre-season. That is solely based on our results the last several years not really giving anyone a reason to see us finishing higher than that. I think Loyola (with Krutwig and Williamson), Bradley (Brown and Childs), and Missouri State (Da Silva, Dixon, Cook, Mohammed) all will be picked ahead of us pre-season. All finished ahead of us in the standings this year (by tourney seed) and I would expect them to get the nod because of that. Drake might as well (depending on how much people will feel they will miss McGlynn) and maybe Illinois State (perennially over-rated because 'athletes'). Southern should fall considerably, and the Indiana schools should all be looking at Thursday.

Comment

• Sorolla (The Other Big Stff) is leaving Valpo too. That program is in shambles. I think you HAVE to fire Lottich and bring Bryce Drew back and do it now. Let Drew start the rebuild now instead of waiting a year.
                #MACtion

Comment

• Sorolla not returning to Valpo... man they're getting killed this offseason.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Sorolla (The Other Big Stff) is leaving Valpo too. That program is in shambles. I think you HAVE to fire Lottich and bring Bryce Drew back and do it now. Let Drew start the rebuild now instead of waiting a year.
                    No idea how they haven't fired Lottich yet. This is a dumpster fire. No decent recruit is gonna be interested in a program in full rebuild under the same coach thats responsible for this meltdown.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
                      https://twitter.com/FreshCoastHoops/...67511515865088

My goodness. It will be fun to see what he can do. The athleticism is a welcomed addition for sure!
                      The 360 dunk

Wes Washpun 2.0?
                      Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                      Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                      - George Halas

Comment

• Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post

The 360 dunk

Wes Washpun 2.0?
                        I love that 2 handed alley oop right off the bat in the first video, just hammers the rim with ease.

He's gonna bring the house down on breakaways

Comment

We had an honest to goodness shot at first in the Valley this year with only 3 games to go. We showed we could beat any team, we just didn't put it together in time.

Everyone's a year older, we bring in much needed depth we were severely lacking, no injuries, and add an athletic guard who can get to the rim.

The expectation should be 1st place. I think coach Jake has the pieces he needs. I'm not saying we will get 1st, but that should be the expectation and falling short of that would be a dissapointment in my eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post

We had an honest to goodness shot at first in the Valley this year with only 3 games to go. We showed we could beat any team, we just didn't put it together in time.

Everyone's a year older, we bring in much needed depth we were severely lacking, no injuries, and add an athletic guard who can get to the rim.

The expectation should be 1st place. I think coach Jake has the pieces he needs. I'm not saying we will get 1st, but that should be the expectation and falling short of that would be a dissapointment in my eyes.
                            Hopefully you are correct. The new signee will be critical, since he’ll be counted on to fill major hole in last years’ roster. It’s a shame he’s the only player of that type on the team, but I’ve said that before in other posts. It’s also a lot to put on a true FR.

Comment

• Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post

No idea how they haven't fired Lottich yet. This is a dumpster fire. No decent recruit is gonna be interested in a program in full rebuild under the same coach thats responsible for this meltdown.
                              Same way they still play in their old out of date gym. Money.
                              "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Hopefully you are correct. The new signee will be critical, since he’ll be counted on to fill major hole in last years’ roster. It’s a shame he’s the only player of that type on the team, but I’ve said that before in other posts. It’s also a lot to put on a true FR.
                                Just an opinion of course. I don't think your reservations are any less correct than my optimism.

Whatever the case, I'm really excited to see what the team has in store for us. Even with this ugly season I had a blast following along

Comment

Working...
                                X