WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI MBB offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
    How do people expect minutes to shake out? I believe Jake said the starting 5 is AJ, Haldeman, Brown, Berhow and Phyfe, and that he expected us to go 9-10 guys deep. Tywhon is likely our first guy of the bench. I have to think McDonnell will get minutes behind Phyfe, and Kimmons will almost certainly play based on what we've heard. Then it leaves (among scholarship players) Biggie, Dahl, Carter and Betz.
    The math doesn't work out for all of those guys to play. He must plan on playing Betz and Carter regularly if they are not redshirting. I would assume Dahl and Biggie have been passed over and will only play situationally or during garbage time.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
      How do people expect minutes to shake out? I believe Jake said the starting 5 is AJ, Haldeman, Brown, Berhow and Phyfe, and that he expected us to go 9-10 guys deep. Tywhon is likely our first guy of the bench. I have to think McDonnell will get minutes behind Phyfe, and Kimmons will almost certainly play based on what we've heard. Then it leaves (among scholarship players) Biggie, Dahl, Carter and Betz.
      Carter is 9, Betz is 10.

I figure Dahl will be used depending on situation. Jake didn't even mention Biggie in his press conference yesterday so take from that what you will.

Roughly, I figure:

AJ- 34
      Haldeman-20
      Brown-28
      Berhow-28
      Phyfe-20

Pickford-25
      McDonnell-15
      Kimmons-12
      Carter-10
      Betz-8
      Dahl-2

#MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        Preseason Poll and All League Teams Released:

1-Missouri State (29)
        2-Bradley (5)
        3-UNI (3)
        4-Loyola (6)
        5-Drake
        6-Indiana State
        7-Illinois State (1)
        8-Evansville
        9-Valpo
        10-Southern Illinois

First Team:
        Cameron Krutwig- Loyola (Preseason POY)
        Darrell Brown-Bradley
        AJ Green-UNI
        Tyreke Key-Indiana State
        Tulio Da Silva-Missouri State

Second Team:
        Jordan Barnes-Indiana State
        Elijah Childs-Bradley
        Keandre Cook-Missouri State
        Nick Fazekas-Valpo
        Javon Freeman-Liberty- Valpo

Third Team:
        Zach Copeland-Illinois State
        Gage Prim-Missouri State
        LaMont West-Missouri State
        DJ Wilkins-Drake
        DeAndre Williams-Evansville
        Lucas Williamson-Loyola
        I will be very disappointed if we are not in the top half of the league this season with a good chance to finish 1st when it's all said and done with.

I'm done with the relative disappointments of the last three seasons. It's time for UNI Panther basketball to be relevant again.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

I will be very disappointed if we are not in the top half of the league this season with a good chance to finish 1st when it's all said and done with.

I'm done with the relative disappointments of the last three seasons. It's time for UNI Panther basketball to be relevant again.
          What will disappoint is if we get off to a terrible start again this year. Seems like several UNI teams have come in with some expectations, lost early games, and then you hear the “it takes time for everyone to get our defense” stuff. BS when you have a bunch of returning players, and MVC teams need to win against P5 schools in the invite tourneys.

Comment

• I always love cheering for all the Valley schools in the non-conference part of the schedule, as putting together a strong showing is the start of getting multiple bids. Bradley, and especially Missouri State, have some good games on the schedule to make some noise. My worry with Missouri State is that it’s going to take time to gel. Watch them fall flat in the non-con and pull it together when conference play starts.

As for our squad, the thing I look forward to most is seeing what kind of impact Pickford has this year. Hard to know how much the injuries he had last year hindered his play.

Comment

• Preaching to the choir, but it's gonna be so huge having AJ back with experience and leadership. Sounds like his work ethic is unparalleled and it sure looks like he's bulked up.

Very excited for November 5th

Comment

• What are people hearing about today's scrimmage?

Comment

• 4th hand info, so BIG grain of salt...

Heard we won easily (20+). AJ and Noah Carter were the standouts.

Watch Jeff Goodman's Twitter the next few days and he's usually got the goods.

Fwiw, Minnesota flat released the stat sheet from their game against Iowa State on their Twitter. Maybe we'll do the same?
                  #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                    4th hand info, so BIG grain of salt...

Heard we won easily (20+). AJ and Noah Carter were the standouts.

Watch Jeff Goodman's Twitter the next few days and he's usually got the goods.

Fwiw, Minnesota flat released the stat sheet from their game against Iowa State on their Twitter. Maybe we'll do the same?
                    My breath is not being held since I still don't know the score of their last game in Italy lol why schools can't just make these things public and donate the ticket sales or something is beyond me

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

What will disappoint is if we get off to a terrible start again this year. Seems like several UNI teams have come in with some expectations, lost early games, and then you hear the “it takes time for everyone to get our defense” stuff. BS when you have a bunch of returning players, and MVC teams need to win against P5 schools in the invite tourneys.

This is it. Tired of the seasons that start with lots of unnecessary losses. Looking forward to a season that has a record to match the quality of the team, not another that has to rally at the end of the season. Although it is fun when we go on late season runs.

Comment

• The really annoying thing about our nonconference is that we usually play well in the tourney we're in - the last 3 years we've gone 2-1. Granted last year we lost the first game which put us on the weak side of the bracket, but 2 of those years we were in the championship game. We played very good teams tough in those championship games too. The real struggle seems to come in December...
                        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• I think the schedule sets up better. We're not on the road for two months this year. Last year we didn't play our first DI home game until December 19th.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• Any news from the scrimmage yesterday?

Comment

• Roughly a 25 point win - mid 80s to 60
                              AJ had himself a day.

Comment

• NDSU is picked to win their league. So definitely better competition than a D3 exhibition game.
                                "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Working...
                                X