WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MVC Off Season News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what expectations are like at Loyola for Moser. They seem pretty low, especially given the Final Four run. It was all nice and fun for them, but doesn't seem to have done much to move the needle of expectation among Loyola fans I know. And they still haven't become much of a Chicago darling, sorry to say.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Welcome to sports.

If Illinois State makes 1 more shot in ‘09 MVC title game, no NCAA for us. If Ali doesn’t hit a 30 foot jumper with 1 sec left against UNLV in ‘10, we don’t even get to play Kansas, and no sweet 16. If Wes’ shot doesn’t get a lucky bounce in MVC title game in ‘16, no NCAA for us.

Look at that, it took me like 2 seconds to diminish the last decade of UNI basketball down to a couple lucky bounces. You can play this game with anybody, its called sports.

Lucky Final Four, lmao
      This is exactly why I am disappointed but not distraught by the results of the last few years. We were a few missed shots/bounces away from having vey good seasons, just haven't had the 'luck'. It really is part of how we play. The slow down pace helps us to keep it close with teams we shouldn't be able to hang with, but it also allows for lesser teams to stay within striking range as well. Moser has incorporated a very similar approach at Loyola with a defensive, low-possession style that keeps them in games with a chance at the end.

By the way, Ali's shot against UNLV wasn't 30 feet and we would've still had a shot in OT had he missed.

Comment

This isn't jumping through hoops or mental gymnastics. Sure, calling the F4 run lucky is kind of crazy, it was a very impressive run from a 30+ win team in one of the valleys better years of late.

Just also stating a fact that Moser has had 1 legitimately good season in well over a decade of coaching. Maybe this year was a bit of a final four hangover. Let's just give it time, the jury is still out

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post
          This isn't jumping through hoops or mental gymnastics. Sure, calling the F4 run lucky is kind of crazy, it was a very impressive run from a 30+ win team in one of the valleys better years of late.

Just also stating a fact that Moser has had 1 legitimately good season in well over a decade of coaching. Maybe this year was a bit of a final four hangover. Let's just give it time, the jury is still out
          I'm not sure how last years Valley was one of the better one years of late, it was clearly a one bid league, if Loyola didn't win in St Louis they weren't making the tournament, I would say that the last two years were possibly the worst the league has been as a whole.

Can we say it is lucky for Loyola that Wichita left the league which allowed them to win the conference tournament, so they were able to make the NCAA tournament?

I know it is impossible to prove that if Wichita is still in the league that Loyola doesn't win the conference, but I would say the probability was pretty high.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post

I'm not sure how last years Valley was one of the better one years of late, it was clearly a one bid league, if Loyola didn't win in St Louis they weren't making the tournament, I would say that the last two years were possibly the worst the league has been as a whole.

Can we say it is lucky for Loyola that Wichita left the league which allowed them to win the conference tournament, so they were able to make the NCAA tournament?

I know it is impossible to prove that if Wichita is still in the league that Loyola doesn't win the conference, but I would say the probability was pretty high.
            Wichita didn’t win the league tourney every year either, did they? Last years’ Loyola team had the length and athletic ability to at least hang with the better Wichita teams we’ve seen. They don’t make a FF run without that level of ability. It’s no foregone conclusion that Wichita wins.

Comment

Wichita won the MVC tourney twice since 2000. They were far from from dominant in Saint Louis.
              ​​​​
              Last edited by Blue42; 04-19-2019, 07:15 AM.
              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                Wichita won the MVC tourney twice since 2000. They were far from from dominant in Saint Louis.
                ​​​​
                They did however win the regular season title the last 4 years they were in the conference which is a pretty dominant run. They were also good enough to not have to rely on the MVC tournament to get into the dance. Not to say Loyola couldn't have beat them. WSU just had some very skilled teams at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post

They did however win the regular season title the last 4 years they were in the conference which is a pretty dominant run. They were also good enough to not have to rely on the MVC tournament to get into the dance. Not to say Loyola couldn't have beat them. WSU just had some very skilled teams at the end.
                  Oh really....
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post

By the way, Ali's shot against UNLV wasn't 30 feet and we would've still had a shot in OT had he missed.
                    Same goes for the Wes shot. That game was going overtime worst case scenario. And we won the game against Illinois State by 9, when we were down 15-20 at the half. Not really a "down to the wire" kind of deal

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

Same goes for the Wes shot. That game was going overtime worst case scenario. And we won the game against Illinois State by 9, when we were down 15-20 at the half. Not really a "down to the wire" kind of deal
                      I was talking about the Illinois St game from 2009, which was a razor thin OT win.
                      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

I was talking about the Illinois St game from 2009, which was a razor thin OT win.
                        So that one game where Osiris Eldridge played absolutely incredible, 2 games that would have gone to overtime if two really good players hadn't made shots, then oh ya that season where we were top 10 in the country at one point and ran into a buzzsaw in Louisville who technically was never there now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

It seems some of you are arguing about luck, or lack thereof, involving UNI games won just to get in to the Tourney, or win an early round game. Loyola went to the FF. Big difference. Luck is going to play a role in any sporting event, so those of you arguing that Loyola got lucky are off base.

Comment

It’s the fun of college basketball and especially March that crazy things happen. It’s a one and done tournament. Auburn as a 5 seed this year would probably admit they were LUCKY to win their first round game and then ends up in the FF. Drake in ‘08 seemed to win every close game all year and then gets beat on a 30 foot buzzer beater as a 5 seed. Who knows what happens if Western Kentucky misses that shot, does Drake go on to win some a few more games (god forbid)?

i wouldn’t call Porter lucky, they had/have legitemate talent and that’s part of being a good college coach. But he’s made the tournament 1 time in about 15 years of coaching. He was fired at Illinois state. So I think I probably speak for others on here that we’re not ready to anoint him a great coach quite yet.

Comment

Yea, I get kinda annoyed by when people talk the luck of Loyola to get to a FF. Of course they got lucky, look at every team along the way, it's part off the game to an extent. Heck Virginia coulda easily lost 3 games in the tourney, but they're the National Champs. Just because they got lucky to win those games doesn't mean they didn't deserve it. They put themselves in positions to be successful and took advantage of the opportunities they had. Same can be said for the vast majority of teams when they have a "lucky" win.
                              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

I honestly feel the people hating on Loyola for being "lucky" to make it to Final Four by winning some close games along the way (maybe victories should only count if they are by double digits?) are probably upset and jealous that they made it before we did coming out of the same conference. Human nature, more to the point, fan nature, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X