WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeff Goodman's Chain of Command in the MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNIpanther99
    replied
    Originally posted by JD720 View Post

Is the practice facility going to be for Men and Women and if so, is the NU High gym big enough for both?
    It's really long, with a ton of extra room at one end. You could easily fit a full college floor in there with room for another half court at least, not that they would practice at the same time anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Born-a-Panther
    replied
    Originally posted by r54uni View Post

Only problem I see is that training/rehab/laundry etc. people and facilities are all not there. Doesn't mean you couldn't make new but hiring additional personnel seems redundant? I wonder what the old NU gym is used for now??
    I know youth teams practice there but I don't know what else is happening inside.

Leave a comment:

• r54uni
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
    What about converting the NU High gym into a first class practice facility with all sorts of amenities, they would have their own space and only come over the arena for games/walk-through. I know most practice facilities are connected to the main arena, but not all. And it's close to Towers, etc. A new floor in that fairly new gym with a 5 million or so building could be pretty spectacular.
    Only problem I see is that training/rehab/laundry etc. people and facilities are all not there. Doesn't mean you couldn't make new but hiring additional personnel seems redundant? I wonder what the old NU gym is used for now??

Leave a comment:

• JD720
    replied
    What about converting the NU High gym into a first class practice facility with all sorts of amenities, they would have their own space and only come over the arena for games/walk-through. I know most practice facilities are connected to the main arena, but not all. And it's close to Towers, etc. A new floor in that fairly new gym with a 5 million or so building could be pretty spectacular.
    Is the practice facility going to be for Men and Women and if so, is the NU High gym big enough for both?

Leave a comment:

• 06panther10
    replied
    I’ve said this for years now. I don’t understand why this doesn't seem to be a serious consideration. Would think a renovation of that existing building would be like 1/10th the cost of a new building.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
    If they put a practice facility on the West Side, someone needs to be fired. The only things that should be happening on the West is development of game-day atmosphere enhancements.
    What do you think a grand entrance and new catering and food service facilities are for?

Leave a comment:

• UNIAlum95
    replied
    If they put a practice facility on the West Side, someone needs to be fired. The only things that should be happening on the West is development of game-day atmosphere enhancements.

Leave a comment:

• UNIpanther99
    replied

Leave a comment:

• UNIdad
    replied
    Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    The south end zone looks like it's been there from day one. They did one hell of a job with that.

Must be nice to get a giant check because people want to watch Texas and Oklahoma on TV...

Indeed. On both points.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    The south end zone looks like it's been there from day one. They did one hell of a job with that.

Must be nice to get a giant check because people want to watch Texas and Oklahoma on TV...

Leave a comment:

• UNIdad
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Indeed, blending in is tough. I prefer not to settle for "weird" and "interesting at night."

At the risk of being blasted for being a dual fan, I think they have done a really good job with the new south endzone for Jack Trice Stadium in Ames. And the plans for the Hilton Coliseum renovation are quite appealing. It is not easy to turn a concrete-facade into a glass-facade, but I like the drawings.

Not sure why it wouldn't let me include this link with the other post, but here is the link to the Hilton renovation concept drawings.

https://cyclones.com/news/2019/2/27/...-expanded.aspx

Leave a comment:

• UNIdad
    replied
    Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
    "My one issue with the basketball practice facility proposed location on the West side. I think it should be on the East / Southeast."

My thoughts EXACTLY when I saw the preliminary drawing. Never try and lose parking. If you want a grand entrance, do it in the wasted space south of McLeod - room for more Hall of Fame stuff, adm. offices, and a parking space for Harris. All they do on the east side of the McLeod is mow. Excavate and put cafeteria & academic advising/study + weight room on the first floor, and practice floors above.

P.S. UNIdad. - I was just at the Louvre (the day Notre Dame burned a little further down the Seine - some people that had just toured the church and were still close said that it took 30 minutes for the PFD to get there because of rush hour traffic). The Museum entrance is weird (but interesting to see at night). However, you have to either try to mimic and blend in or not blend at all. They made a new city "icon" for better or worse.

Indeed, blending in is tough. I prefer not to settle for "weird" and "interesting at night."

At the risk of being blasted for being a dual fan, I think they have done a really good job with the new south endzone for Jack Trice Stadium in Ames. And the plans for the Hilton Coliseum renovation are quite appealing. It is not easy to turn a concrete-facade into a glass-facade, but I like the drawings.

Leave a comment:

• '70 Grad
    replied
    "My one issue with the basketball practice facility proposed location on the West side. I think it should be on the East / Southeast."

My thoughts EXACTLY when I saw the preliminary drawing. Never try and lose parking. If you want a grand entrance, do it in the wasted space south of McLeod - room for more Hall of Fame stuff, adm. offices, and a parking space for Harris. All they do on the east side of the McLeod is mow. Excavate and put cafeteria & academic advising/study + weight room on the first floor, and practice floors above.

P.S. UNIdad. - I was just at the Louvre (the day Notre Dame burned a little further down the Seine - some people that had just toured the church and were still close said that it took 30 minutes for the PFD to get there because of rush hour traffic). The Museum entrance is weird (but interesting to see at night). However, you have to either try to mimic and blend in or not blend at all. They made a new city "icon" for better or worse.

Leave a comment:

• UNIdad
    replied

If moved to the East side, it would have to be designed very well. We don't want something like this:

Leave a comment:

• Neighbor
    replied
    My one issue with the basketball practice facility proposed location on the West side. I think it should be on the East / Southeast.
    1. Utilize wasted space between McCloud and Hudson road.
    2. Closer to campus.
    3. Parking can be on the South side
    4. Preserve the high donor parking lot to the West of McCloud that is utilized for basketball, football, volleyball and essentially every sport save for wrestling.
    5. Greater visibility for marketing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X