WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Game: Old Dominion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very excited about the season for the first time in years. Lets flippin go!

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
      The social media has been great. The number of tickets still available is depressing.
      The cedar valley support for the program is pathetic and completely inexcusable

Comment

FWIW, 5.5 point favorites tomorrow
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

The cedar valley support for the program is pathetic and completely inexcusable
          Possibly hot take that might not even be that hot: UNI fans (in general) are incredibly fair-weather. And there aren't many UNI fans to begin with, at least in comparison to some of the schools around this level. In order for the crowd to pick up, the team has to prove that they're good. For whatever reasons, of which there are many, some more valid than others, that's how it is.

It's why I can't get too mad at the price hike for football tickets, the crowd size wasn't going to pick up if tickets were cheaper. I'd rather the school make the cash where they can since it's not exactly flush.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

Possibly hot take that might not even be that hot: UNI fans (in general) are incredibly fair-weather. And there aren't many UNI fans to begin with, at least in comparison to some of the schools around this level. In order for the crowd to pick up, the team has to prove that they're good. For whatever reasons, of which there are many, some more valid than others, that's how it is.

It's why I can't get too mad at the price hike for football tickets, the crowd size wasn't going to pick up if tickets were cheaper. I'd rather the school make the cash where they can since it's not exactly flush.
            Trying not to derail the thread

I'm well on record with supporting higher prices with smaller crowds because financially it is what makes sense.

HOWEVER

There is a line for ROI.

50+ for Idaho State, Indiana State, Western Illinois, etc. is well beyond that line. Don't even both with the "that's only for like 3 sections. 45.50 is also above that threashhold. Something like 80% of the seats available for purchase are a minimum of $45.50 per person to get in the door starting at age 2. That absolutely has a negative impact, especially the kids pricing as an adult.

Does UNI make more from 3000 "walk up" purchases at an average of 48 per ticket than they do with 5000 at 25 per ticket? Yes - about $18k more (I'm just pulling numbers out).

HOWEVER, in the long run I think the damage from not getting fans in the door. Not getting casuals in the door. Not getting kids in the door. Not getting them the experience of being in the dome for the game that 18k is very very very quickly off set in future lost sales. Future lost donations. Future lost concessions, future lost parking, etc.

I don't know what concessions pulls in, but an extra 2,000 people closes the gap on the ticket difference with concessions and beer sales.

Even in a year like this - UNI is ranked #5 in the country. Other than about 3 quarters (the last quarter and a half of NDSU and first quarter and a half of WSU) out of the 36 UNI has played, plus 3 OT, UNI has played like a legit top 3 team in the country. UNI took Iowa State to 3 ot, in a year Iowa State actually has/had hype. People are put off of coming to a UNI game because the sticker shock of the ticket price.

You want to charge $50 for NDSU? Fine.
            You want to charge $50 for ISUb, WIU, ISUo? Get the hell outta here.

For basketball, it's the same thing. Look at the last 3 years of this program. They've been pretty damn bad outside of the final about 7 weeks last season. If the standard is the UNI fan base is small (and it is) and the casual fans need a reason to go to the game and spend the money, there hasn't been anything to draw the casual fan to this years team. Yes, we all here understand reasons to go and reason for optimism. Does random middle aged dude with a couple kids who follows Iowa/Iowa State first living in Waterloo have any reason to know it? No.

Our social media has been much better this year. We can go "If they don't get the hype from tweets or facebook posts they just don't care" but that's not a real representation of how it works. It's also assuming that UNI's tweets and facebook posts make it to people who don't follow UNI in some way already. It's why TV/radio/billboards/etc are still very much needed areas of improvement.

Anyway...end of off topic rant.

It's ****ing game day!

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

It's ****ing game day!
              This is the most important thing I took from your post! Its going to be a long day at work!

Comment

UNI is 5.5 point favorite with an o/u of 122.5.

I have no idea what to expect. On paper, we have a really good roster and a team that should compete for the Valley title. Coming off of 3 bad seasons, its beyond time. Lets go boys.
                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Hoping the big mayoral vote doesn't decrease crowd size, too. Vote early, Cedar Valley!
                  "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

I feel like I have no insights into what to expect from this team this year. Are we going to be up tempo? 09-10 tempo? Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by kochrab View Post
                      I feel like I have no insights into what to expect from this team this year. Are we going to be up tempo? 09-10 tempo? Can't wait!
                      Jake will never be an up tempo coach. For some reason he just can't do it. He tried last year but for some reason just can't make it work. It really makes no sense but....

I think he has learned his lesson and this year will be your classic UNI style of play.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Jake will never be an up tempo coach. For some reason he just can't do it. He tried last year but for some reason just can't make it work. It really makes no sense but....

I think he has learned his lesson and this year will be your classic UNI style of play.
                        He tried last year - and a year previous to that (2013?), in which he admitted that he had "lost his mind a bit."
                        "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Who is everyone looking forward to seeing tonight? I excited to see what Phyfe can do. I'm also really curious to see what Betz brings.

Comment

I think we can and should win this game pretty comfortably. UNI 71 ODU 58. Can't wait

Comment

Originally posted by GoPanthers85 View Post
                              Who is everyone looking forward to seeing tonight? I excited to see what Phyfe can do. I'm also really curious to see what Betz brings.
                              I'm really curious to see how Jake uses the freshmen - Kimmons in particular. From what I've seen, he's been the one whos gotten the most praise.
                              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by GoPanthers85 View Post
                                AJ Green - Duh
                                A healthy Phyfe, I think people forget how high our expectations were for him.
                                Noah Carter - A guy I have followed for a while and excited to see what he contributes.
                                Betz - I have literally never seen him play. Some people are super high on him so interested to see...

Comment

Working...
                                X