WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd Game (19-20): NIU Huskies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Game (19-20): NIU Huskies

NIU Huskies
    Leading scorer:
    Eugene German, #10, 6-0 PG.
    18-19 Stats: (http://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=...thern+Illinois)
    - Usage=98th%ile (This means he was used more than 98% of all D1 players)
    - EFG%=58.2 - very good.
    - 3pt%=0.414 - very good and he took 203 shots last year. He went 3-6 Tuesday night with the new 3pt line against D2 comp.
    Bart Torvik lists a stat called “PRPG” (“PORPAGATU!”) It is an estimation of the amount of points a player scores per game above what a typical D1 player would score. German’s is 4.9 (99.1%ile)
    Bottom line is that Eugene German is the guy about whom NIU fans will say, “You didn’t beat us; So-and-so just had a bad game.”

The other two leading scorers from 18-19 have graduated.

Next is James Lacey. 6-9, 240 Forward. He’s the tallest Husky. But he went 1-6 and 0-1 from 3pt against their D2 opponent.

Interestingly, we have seen their guard Darius Beane before. He played last year for the SIU Salukis. He played 27 minutes and scored 16 on us in Carbondale. In Cedar Falls, he played 26 minutes and scored 2. He is the brother of Anthony.

---------------------------
    Might be fun to count the instances of NUI, UNI, NIU confusion. They have similar complaints.
    Last edited by sivert; 11-07-2019, 02:55 PM.

I'd expect we see more of the freshmen in this game, especially with an unexpectedly large amount of minutes from Phyfe in his first game back in quite some time, they might want to take it slightly easier on him in his second game. Sounds like Brown is going to have the same amount of minutes that Eugene German is gonna have.

Comment

This one's big. They've improved as a program.

Important to get this one coming home for a string of cupcakes. Need to head to Cancun 6-0.
      #MACtion

Comment

I was a little surprised to see NIU picked 2nd in the MAC West. Gotta get this one...
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
          I'd expect we see more of the freshmen in this game, especially with an unexpectedly large amount of minutes from Phyfe in his first game back in quite some time, they might want to take it slightly easier on him in his second game. Sounds like Brown is going to have the same amount of minutes that Eugene German is gonna have.
          I respectfully disagree. Not that I wouldn't like to see them more but I think Jake will play it safe in the first true road game of the year. Obviously if the game becomes one sided that would change things.
          I do, however, think that Phyfe will get a blow here and there, but I predict it'll be more McDonnell than Betz.
          This team still has trouble on the road and I predict this will be a more challenging game than any of us would prefer.

Comment

Hmmm... both Betz and Luke made mistakes. Betz let his man around him for a layup and made a lazy pass for a TO. These are both things he can learn. Luke got little time, but didn’t pick up a pass under the basket.

Considering where they each are on the learning curve, I suppose Betz gets more time.

Comment

If we don't chuck up 100 3's just to piss off Mudra, I'm burning my degree in protest!

Comment

Fwiw, Bart Torvik has us as about 4 point favorites, and ESPN has us at a 51.8% chance of winning...I still don't know what those mean, but the math says we're probably gonna win a close one...I think.

Comment

Anyone going to be there tomorrow? I'll be stopping there on my way back from Pennsylvania!

Comment

My son's AAU team, UNI basketball, and UNI football all will be playing at the same time tomorrow, and I'm not sure what that's going to do to my heart rate. Best time of year though - for sure. Better make sure my phone is charged up good though.
                    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

I was extremely disappointed that McDonnell and Dahl rode the pine while Betz played backup 5. Betz is a puny 5 and a perfect physical 4 who should start next to Phyfe next year and this year for that matter....not play behind him. Betz and Noah Carter have loads of talent.

Comment

1.5 point underdogs. Kinda surprised

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post
                          Like someone said earlier, NIU is picked to finish 2nd in the MAC West, but it sounds like the better teams in that league are mostly in the East. I read where Eugene German is good enough that’s he’s getting looks from NBA scouts. They sound like a decent opponent, and certainly not a team where UNI can play a mediocre game and expect to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                            My son's AAU team, UNI basketball, and UNI football all will be playing at the same time tomorrow, and I'm not sure what that's going to do to my heart rate. Best time of year though - for sure. Better make sure my phone is charged up good though.
                            UNI swimming/diving has a meet starting at 11 a.m. on Saturday, MBB has a game starting at 3 pm, FB starts at 4 pm, VB and WBB both start at 5 pm.
                            busy day

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post
                              Well on one hand, Vegas is pretty dang good at this stuff. On the other, they pegged So Ill as 4.5 point underdogs and they won by 12, so they're not always on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X