WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 6 Cornell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
    So yeah. That went as it should. Cool. Compare that to a few years ago when it was a 5 point game at the half with Wartburg or whatever it was.

I do stand by what I said earlier, however, this game has showed why the freshmen aren't getting a ton of minutes playing time, and it's just that the defense isn't quite worth what they bring on offense. I'm not saying that the six man rotation is a positive thing, and I don't say that I agree with it, but I think this is decent evidence to why they haven't played. Ben Jacobson isn't going to give you a ton of time if you give up an 11-0 run against Cornell College.

But that's okay, they'll learn. They learned in this game, they'll learn in Cancun when they're going to have to play because of a SEGABABA, and they'll learn in the game against Luther.

It's all gravy.
    Wasn't it just last season when we struggled to beat Dubuque?

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post

Kimmons, Betz, and Carter are getting good time. The core team needs all the experience they can get in my opinion
      I wasn't a big fan of the starting five remaining in the game at the midpoint of the 2nd half while up 30. The risk outweighed the reward at that point, IMO. However, looking at the minutes distribution it was pretty even amongst the non centers at 20-25 minutes per.
      I like that Austin played minimally tonight (16 minutes).

Comment

Is Dahl still on the team? I see he didn't play even in a game like this.
        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
          He's almost certain to play against West Va, they've got a lot of big big centers, no way Betz can handle them.

Comment

Felt to me like Jake wanted to make sure he got Luke some decent minutes since he hasn't gotten them yet this year. JD at least saw the floor the night before and has played substantially more than Luke

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

He's almost certain to play against West Va, they've got a lot of big big centers, no way Betz can handle them.
              I don’t understand why this staff considers Betz a 5. If he’s as athletic as people have said, put him in the game alongside a guy who’s taller and more of a 5 type. Betz is only 6’6 or 6’7, right? I have seen him play, so I get he’s built like a truck for a freshman. To me it’s more about foot speed. He’d help us on the boards against good teams paired with Phyfe or Dahl at times.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

I don’t understand why this staff considers Betz a 5. If he’s as athletic as people have said, put him in the game alongside a guy who’s taller and more of a 5 type. Betz is only 6’6 or 6’7, right? I have seen him play, so I get he’s built like a truck for a freshman. To me it’s more about foot speed. He’d help us on the boards against good teams paired with Phyfe or Dahl at times.
                He's a "5" in that we are a 4-1 system. Positions are "gone" outside of rare situations. His build also plays a big part of it. Does he give up 2 or 3 inches to a couple other posts in height? Sure. Luke doesn't. Who would you rather have down low banging with them? The kid that is build like a MLB/TE/DE or the kid that has spent 5 years trying everything possible to put any weight, any muscle, on and still weighs 210lbs and looks like a stick simply because he is 6'9 and not 6'6 or 6'7.

Lucas was 6'6 (he wasn't but that's what he was listed at)
                Marv was 6'4-6'5

No one had issues with them playing the "5" in our system. Why should Betz be considered different? Betz is already so far a head of either one of those two offensively at their peak

Lucas: 4.4 career PPG - 9.4 pp40
                Marv: 3.2 career PPG - 8.6 pp40
                Betz: 4.8 career PPG - 22.3 pp40

Way way way to early to carry Betz's numbers forward, I realize. However, what we are seeing is he clearly has the ability to get into position to score and rebound on the offensive end - many "clearing the garbage" points. He's always in position.

However, offensively he isn't a swing 4 - at least yet. He doesn't have the ball handling and quick decision making to be that player, yet. Having Betz and Dahl on the court at the same time is going to be a significant disadvantage defensively and offensively. Similar story with Phyfe. Maybe by late in the year Betz develops into a swing 4, he isn't that right now

Defensively does he have things to learn in terms of positioning? Yes. He's 18 years old and played in 6 games. Name one person that doesn't have more to learn at that point - especially in Jake's system. What he's shown is the ability to work the offensive player more than Luke does. Luke just gets backed down because he has been blessed/cursed with the inability to put on weight/mass.

Last edited by clenz; 11-21-2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Betz and Carter are going to be a nightmare for teams once they get a full handle on the defense. They are virtually interchangeable size-wise but are at different places skill wise/ position wise. Betz is much better defending in the post, Carter can handle the wing. Once James learns to use his quickness on the wing (he has it, just don't think he has ever been asked to guard out there, so he's not comfortable/natural there) and Carter tones his size for the grind inside (he's athletic enough but seems to rely more on that than holding his ground physically a la Phyfe or Dahl)-they'll be able to play at the same time and really cause issues. Think Carlson at his best-but two of him on the floor at a time. We can spread the floor and the opponents '5' will have to guard on the outside or they will have to go smaller to match and be backed down by either.

Comment

Not a good match-up at all for JD. Better to let Betz get good minutes on both ends of the floor. We know what we have with Dahl and he'll contribute very well against opponents with someone to bang against.

Comment

As others have pointed out, this was about lineups, rotations, and working on Defense. It was interesting with about 6 or 7 minutes left in the game, Jake was upset with the reserves on the floor and put all four starters back at the scoring table (AJ was still on the court) because he was unhappy with the defensive rotations. He was also on Spencer several times for his defense. If we didn't have a week off before Mexico, I think he would have dialed back a lot earlier and JD and Luke would have seen some/additional minutes. It looked to me like he was trying to work on defensive rotations and lineups for the future last night.

Side note, how in the heck is Betz listed in the program at 6'6" and Noah is listed at 6'9". Noah is shorter than Brown. Crazy.
                      If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Hard to draw a lot of conclusions in a game like this, but we sure gave up an awful lot of points to a d3 team. After the 25-5 lead it was 63-61 from that point on.

To me, we looked substantially better with the starters on the floor. You’d obviously expect that, but you’d hope even your freshmen could handle a D3 team.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
                          As others have pointed out, this was about lineups, rotations, and working on Defense. It was interesting with about 6 or 7 minutes left in the game, Jake was upset with the reserves on the floor and put all four starters back at the scoring table (AJ was still on the court) because he was unhappy with the defensive rotations. He was also on Spencer several times for his defense. If we didn't have a week off before Mexico, I think he would have dialed back a lot earlier and JD and Luke would have seen some/additional minutes. It looked to me like he was trying to work on defensive rotations and lineups for the future last night.

Side note, how in the heck is Betz listed in the program at 6'6" and Noah is listed at 6'9". Noah is shorter than Brown. Crazy.
                          That's got to be a typo. Every source ever has listed Noah at 6'5" or 6'6".

Khan is dead on above. Betz and Carter compliment each other so well. Its going to be a whole lot of fun to watch those guys play together in the coming years.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                            Hard to draw a lot of conclusions in a game like this, but we sure gave up an awful lot of points to a d3 team. After the 25-5 lead it was 63-61 from that point on.

To me, we looked substantially better with the starters on the floor. You’d obviously expect that, but you’d hope even your freshmen could handle a D3 team.
                            It was 81-44 with 8:48 left in the game
                            Starters came out at 9:25

Cornell hit half of their threes for the game in the final 8:48. They just started throwing the ball at the hoop and they somehow went in. Went from 44 to 57 in 4 trips down the court (2 free throws at 8:48 started that run) between the 8:48 mark and like the 5 min mark

they were 5-26 (16%) before that little spurt from deep. They finished 9-31 (29%).
                            They shot .500 overall for that stretch...the first 28 minutes of the game they were 35%
                            They hit 4 of their 5 FT makes for the game over that stretch

That sucks that it happened, and there may have been a let up by the freshman and guys out there...but Cornell was just in all out "**** it. Chuck it" mode and they went in. That sucks. I'd guess it hard to keep 18 year old freshman completely locked into a game when your up by 37 playing against a team that is as out matched as Cornell was.

'm not sure what it does to our ATS but it's part of why I don't like using that as a barometer for how a game went.
                            UNC we were up by 16 in the second half. Had a lapse (which sucks). Won by 5. If you look at only how we did ATS or the final spread you ignore how almost all but about a 5 minute stretch between the 15 min and 10 min mark of the second half went. In that stretch it went from a 16 point lead to a 2 point lead.

That stretch can't happen every game if a good record/conference title is the goal. Outside of that 5 minute stretch UNI outplayed UNC, or at worst, matched pretty well. UNC went on that 14 point run and UNI won by 5. Outscored by 16 the first 25. Outscored by 3 the rest of the game. If (again the if game is pretty silly, I reallize) we even give UNC just a normal 6 or 8 point burst over that stretch and finish the game the way it was UNI is then 6-0 ATS and people aren't as antsy about it

The reality is the last time Jake had a team that didn't have just a complete collapse for 5-7 minutes at some point in the game was probably stretches of 14-15 and then 09-10. That's about it. Sadly it's the reality of our (and honestly most) programs.

Comment

Every now and then Carter shows a flash if how athletic he is.

More quick and explosive than you'd ever think looking at him.

Noteworthy last night was that high bank shot Betz hit from the right wing. Not an easy shot but he dropped it smooth as butter. Kid has some touch to go with that build.
                              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

That's got to be a typo. Every source ever has listed Noah at 6'5" or 6'6".

Khan is dead on above. Betz and Carter compliment each other so well. Its going to be a whole lot of fun to watch those guys play together in the coming years.
                                I have actually noticed how well Kimmons and Betz seem to play together as well. Kimmons has a knack for knowing where Betz is going to be when he driving. I have been impressed with Kimmons passing overall.

Comment

Working...
                                X