WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020-21 Basketball Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
    I know that was said in jest, but you know what I wouldn't be opposed to? Scheduling a couple buy games at mediocre P5 schools a year, maybe we take a bit of a discount to help incentivize those schools into taking us instead of a bad s.
    You could play all the games you want at a P5. They won't pay anything. They won't schedule h/h. They won't play in CF.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post

You could play all the games you want at a P5. They won't pay anything. They won't schedule h/h. They won't play in CF.
      I believe I implicitly acknowledged that. If not, here's me explicitly acknowledging that. We don't need them to play in CF. We don't need their money...well okay, we do need the money, but we're not getting that money anyways when we schedule a buy game that only draws 2000 people to the McLeod. We zip in, beat them, zip out. The hardest part about this would be correctly guessing which teams would be mediocre but still Q1. You don't want to gamble wrong and get paid next to nothing only to get blown up because their 7 points a game freshman is now a sophomore lottery pick.

But otherwise I don't know what else we can do, except for "just don't have off nights lol." We can't have many buy games in CF because we'd get punished for it in the eyes of the selection committee and there are very few mid majors that are worth agreeing to the home-and-home. Not that I dislike seeking out the mid-major home and homes, but as we see this year with ODU, Marshall, and GCU, sometimes it doesn't pay off in the way we'd hope. I honestly think that this is the only path forward in the foreseeable future. Though who knows, maybe if Jacobson rants like Mullens did that one year we can get a home and home with a cruddy P5. I'd be down with that for sure.

Comment

A couple of tentative dates. Will keep updated.

Can we get this pinned as well? Thanks!
        #MACtion

Comment

Home vs Northern Illinois isn't a bad tune-up-like game to start the year, assuming we don't schedule anything earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
            Home vs Northern Illinois isn't a bad tune-up-like game to start the year, assuming we don't schedule anything earlier.
            It'll probably be our 3rd or 4th game. First legal game day is November 3rd.
            #MACtion

Comment

Is this a tournament where we get essentially buy games? Or can we schedule home and homes with one of the schools?

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
                Is this a tournament where we get essentially buy games? Or can we schedule home and homes with one of the schools?
                Both options on the table for this one. I'd push hard to see if Nevada or WKU wanted to go H&H...
                #MACtion

Comment

FWIW, here are the most recent NETs for the Cayman Islands Classic. If they seed based on this, we'll be the #1 seed. This is a tourney we should really be favored to win.

48 - UNI
                  71 - Oregon St
                  89 - Nevada
                  97 - Ole Miss
                  99 - Kansas State
                  103 - Miami Fl
                  123 - WKU
                  171 - La Salle
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                    FWIW, here are the most recent NETs for the Cayman Islands Classic. If they seed based on this, we'll be the #1 seed. This is a tourney we should really be favored to win.

48 - UNI
                    71 - Oregon St
                    89 - Nevada
                    97 - Ole Miss
                    99 - Kansas State
                    103 - Miami Fl
                    123 - WKU
                    171 - La Salle
                    K-State was 10-21 but the NET is totally not designed to help P5 teams...
                    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

It'll probably be our 3rd or 4th game. First legal game day is November 3rd.
                      I was incorrect. This is the year the calendar jumps back a week. Opening night is Tuesday, November 10th.
                      #MACtion

Comment

We just signed a home and home with Richmond that will start out there this year (presumably a nice game to pair with the trip to Marshall).

GREAT GET! They are a team that's in that same 25-40 preseason range that we are.
                        #MACtion

Comment

We just signed a home and home with Richmond that will start out there this year (presumably a nice game to pair with the trip to Marshall).

GREAT GET! They are a team that's in that same 25-40 preseason range that we are.
                          Nice! This is a quality add. Spiders are always a sticky opponent. Should be a NET helper each season.

Comment

We just need to not wear yellow uniforms this time around...

Comment

That is going to be a tough game! If I remember correctly, they have most of the team coming back from a squad that was right there on the bubble with us this year. Will easily be a Q1 game.

Comment

Something else I have thought about in the scheduling game is who determines if you get the first game of a home and home? I assume it's a complete negotiation between both schools. Maybe one school picks which year they want and the other school picks the date and time? That would be an interesting way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X