WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020-21 Basketball Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Norlander from CBS Sports is reporting that they are aiming for a 16 team event where each team gets 4 games played over 10 days. That would mean our schedule is done. Apparently this one also has the lowest costs associated.

I'm sure we won't see the birds....

#MACtion

Comment

• I'm intrigued to hear the rest of the field! This sounds promising.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        We found our bubble!

At Nebraska. No idea how it'll be set up.

Confirmed so far (still looking for more teams)--
        UNI
        Nebraska
        LSU
        Nevada
        Cleveland State
        Illinois State.
        I don’t mind that pull at all. Just hold out hope they can find another 10 quality teams and don’t fill it with crud just to hit 16.

Comment

• 4 games over 10 days starting in November 25? Doesn’t that cause a problem with our game at Richmond? Maybe our games will be front-loaded in the schedule.

Also, one post mentioned having more teams within driving distance, but we appear to be the only team within driving distance other than Nebraska at this point. Wasn’t Kansas State originally in the Cayman Islands Classic with us? This seems like a reasonable landing place for them if they haven’t found something else already.

Based on quick research, here are some teams within 6 hours of Lincoln:
          UNO
          Drake
          Iowa
          Iowa State
          South Dakota
          SDSU
          Kansas
          Kansas State
          Wichita State
          UMKC
          Missouri
          Missouri State
          Tulsa
          Oklahoma State

Others are just outside the 6-hour range. Some of those may be committed elsewhere already - I didn’t check on that.

Comment

• And Creighton

Comment

• Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post
              4 games over 10 days starting in November 25? Doesn’t that cause a problem with our game at Richmond? Maybe our games will be front-loaded in the schedule.

Also, one post mentioned having more teams within driving distance, but we appear to be the only team within driving distance other than Nebraska at this point. Wasn’t Kansas State originally in the Cayman Islands Classic with us? This seems like a reasonable landing place for them if they haven’t found something else already.

Based on quick research, here are some teams within 6 hours of Lincoln:
              UNO
              Drake
              Iowa
              Iowa State
              South Dakota
              SDSU
              Kansas
              Kansas State
              Wichita State
              UMKC
              Missouri
              Missouri State
              Tulsa
              Oklahoma State

Others are just outside the 6-hour range. Some of those may be committed elsewhere already - I didn’t check on that.
              Kansas State is hosting they're own tourney (which includes Drake and SDSU). Wichita is in the B4A. I believe Iowa's schedule is said to be complete. Not sure on the other schools. There are some other events that are still likely to be cancelled, such as an event in Vegas which has Colorado State and San Francisco as the only two teams who haven't dropped out. It does seem odd that this is over 10 days. I wonder if it would be similar to an NCAA tournament setup - basically playing 2 games on back to back weekends.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• All things considered, not a bad scenario relative to what could've been. I also didn't know that my "would love to make noise by beating Nebraska on their floor" prediction would hit so close to the target.

Comment

• Oklahoma State has been added to the Nebraska MTE.

They aren't tournament eligible but they are STACKED. Best recruit in the country is there in Cade Cunningham.

Would love to get a shot at them.
                  #MACtion

Comment

• Thanks, BC. I had to look that up.

Comment

• 10 teams now in the Nebraska tourney. Looks like a pretty decent field and probably gives us a better opportunity than the Cayman games.

Sources: Nebraska, LSU, Cleveland St, Illinois St, Oklahoma St, Nevada, Northern Iowa, San Francisco, W. Kentucky and now the latest, Colorado State, has signed on to play in Nebraska's wide-ranging MTE. That's 10 in that event with more to come. Interesting development in CBB.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                        10 teams now in the Nebraska tourney. Looks like a pretty decent field and probably gives us a better opportunity than the Cayman games.

Sources: Nebraska, LSU, Cleveland St, Illinois St, Oklahoma St, Nevada, Northern Iowa, San Francisco, W. Kentucky and now the latest, Colorado State, has signed on to play in Nebraska's wide-ranging MTE. That's 10 in that event with more to come. Interesting development in CBB.

Keep the quality coming! Only 6 more to find.

Comment

• Honestly I think we should just have a regional tournament like this every year that more fans can attend than have tournaments overseas.

Comment

• Hoping to end up in the big boy side of the bracket for this, or at the very least, that the brackets are split fairly evenly, quality of opponent-wise.

Comment

• Nothing 100% confirmed yet, but it sounds like SLU will be one of our games in the Nebraska MTE. This is per a SLU writer. Good game, I believe they're picked to win the A10. Hopefully the others are good as well.
                              Last edited by CyCarp; 10-23-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• OoC strength of schedule will definitely be in UNI's favor come tournament time, love to see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X