WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 11 - Grand Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

When a 33% from three-point land game means you dramatically cooled off.

You're right, don't get me wrong, just shows how crazy a stretch he's been on.
    5-8, 5-7, 5-6 from 3 in that order the past 3 games. Honestly I'm just disappointed after all that effort he didn't go 5-5 to complete it.

Comment

Barttorvik has us at #48 after this game. Kenpom is not as kind having us at #79. Top 40 is about the cut off range for at-large chances.

Comment

To go on the road in a tough environment in a different time zone two nights after a huge hard-fought road win and play like that says a lot about this team.

Only complaint is that I would have liked to see more of the freshmen, but we only have one game in the next 16 days so its not like we need to save the legs.

Looking good. Now beat Marshall and carry this into league play.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
          Barttorvik has us at #48 after this game. Kenpom is not as kind having us at #79. Top 40 is about the cut off range for at-large chances.
          So, do the teams we beat winning more games affect our ranking? I'm not familiar enough with these rankings to know what affects them. It kind of stinks if this is our ceiling. Basically means we need to win out if top 40 really is at-large cutoff.

Comment

Lets pump the brakes until we see the NET next week. In the first year, it really rewarded beating bad teams at home and winning against good teams on the road. We've certainly done that.

We're really good. Control what we can control and keep getting better and we'll see where it all falls out.
            #MACtion

Comment

That was a big time win. Not so much for who we beat, but how well we played in a tough environment on short rest and coming off a huge win with travel in between. That was a big boy W...a very mature, mentally tough, well executed commando raid! Big things in store for this team!
              "Give a cheer Ho, the purple and the gold!!"

Comment

Nice story from the Arizona Republic. Coach M not in a good mood afterwards

"Give a cheer Ho, the purple and the gold!!"

Comment

Originally posted by UNI92 View Post

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...wa/4415629002/
                  He certainly looks super high strung and like he's about to have an aneurysm for most of the game

Also..those quotes are rough. If he's saying that publicly imagine what the players are getting behind closed doors

"I told the guys in there, 'They're taking tougher shots than we are; you've got to jump in there and make a shot,' '' Majerle said. "I don't know what to tell you. It's like a hockey player not being able to skate.

"You've got to be able to shoot. You can't make a 3, you can't make a 3. There's nothing we can do about it. You can stop shooting so many. But damn, they're wide open. Make a shot. It's basketball. Make a shot. They practice just as much as we do."

"There's no upside to this game," Majerle said. "I wanted Dubey (Jenkins) to play better on defense. I wanted him to be more aggressive. I wanted him to talk. I wanted him to rebound.

"You were 6 for 10 and had 15 points. We brought you in to be a player. Be a player. That's everybody. No, I'm not going to celebrate Dubey having 15 points. I could score 15 points right now. Somebody has got to score.

"It's about winning, and playing together, making stops and being tough. We're not tough right now."

He was taking to the woodshed by Jake last night. Jake knew they can't shoot so he left them wide open, then walked out to them and said "Please shoot it. We are too dumb to guard you. You know you can make it" because he knew they wouldn't be able to pass up the shots.

I've got a feeling Jake is really really going to screw with the heads of many MVC coaches this year.

As we said before the year. The new 3 point line is really going to help UNI. We will continue to hit 36-40+% of our 3s (because our guys have always shot deep, even by the new line we are shooting deep). Other teams are going to struggle to adjust to the new line and percents will drop. Jake will force them to keep shooting and use that pack line defense to suffocate anything else.

There will be a night or two this bites the team and the opponent gets hot, but it's a hell of a smart move.
                  Last edited by clenz; 12-13-2019, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI92 View Post

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...wa/4415629002/
                    Yikes. Gregggg Marshall and Fran like comments from Dan M. Imagine Coach Jake speaking like that about his players? Lol
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• The most scathing thing Jake has ever said is 'Sometimes our guys need to understand what kind of work it takes to be great. It takes what it takes'. A blistering hot take from Ben Jacobson, February 6, 2019.
                      #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                        The most scathing thing Jake has ever said is 'Sometimes our guys need to understand what kind of work it takes to be great. It takes what it takes'. A blistering hot take from Ben Jacobson, February 6, 2019.
                        Don't forget that time he got a T for intentionally taking one third of a step outside of the coaches box, without saying a single word, to prove a point with the official 2 feet from him....

That's still one of the funniest damn things I've seen
                        Last edited by clenz; 12-13-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• What a fun game.

Comment

• Looks like Betz didn't play last night. Any chance he is redshirting? He would still be eligible, correct? I don't know why he wouldn't have seen the floor when Luke and Lincoln played.

Comment

• Originally posted by ceaser150 View Post
                              Looks like Betz didn't play last night. Any chance he is redshirting? He would still be eligible, correct? I don't know why he wouldn't have seen the floor when Luke and Lincoln played.
                              No chance IMO. He will have many chances in valley play. He offers a lot to this team in a backup role this year.

Comment

• I think Dahl has somewhat unexpectedly taken most of Betz minutes. Last night really was a game you'd hope a guy like Betz would get some minutes, but with only 1 game before New Year's Eve, I can understand it a bit. Hopefully he gets a lot of opportunities in conference play.
                                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Working...
                                X