WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 13 - Illinois State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I had a completely different takeaway from this game offensively. Looked like ISUred did a nice job of chasing us off the 3 point line. Berhow/Spencer/Brown etc etc hardly ever got a clean look from 3. The offense is plenty designed for backcuts and drives coming off the screen. AJ made play after play on offense (7-9 from 2) while the other guys mostly stood around because they weren't having open catch/shoot 3s they were used to getting.

Even with Brown making things happen for awhile in the 2nd half him with Berhow/Pickford/Spencer went 1-10 from 2. The offense certainly allows them to make plays besides 3 pointers they just need to make things happen.

Even with all this the offense overall played fine. Turnovers were too high but 70 points on 67 possessions is not awful. Giving up 76 in 67 possessions is awful especially given only 20 were in the first half.

Comment

• That's what is going to get old around here....

The best player in program history having the ball in his hands and taking all the big shots is somehow going to be a negative.

We get buried in that second half if AJ doesn't have the last 10 minutes that he had.
      #MACtion

Comment

• The whole PG argument is getting old as well. This game was probably the best argument FOR him remaining the PG but regardless the offense is tossing the ball to the center at the top of the key then running hand-offs. We can and do change who runs the hand-off non-stop throughout the possession. Who is the PG does not matter until end of shot clock and I want AJ with the ball in those situations.

That said I have no problems with Kimmons getting some more run out there especially when the offense is stagnating a bit and outside shots aren't falling.

Comment

• Anybody catch Jake's radio show, and anything on Spencer?
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
            Anybody catch Jake's radio show, and anything on Spencer?
            The recording of the show I listened to was all screwed up (not sure if it was the same for others), but from what I could gather it sounded like there isn’t a timetable for Spencer’s return. This is purely speculation on my part, but I would guess he’s going to be out a while.

Another topic that came up is whether Betz will redshirt. Coach said a couple times during the hour that Betz will not redshirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              That's what is going to get old around here....

The best player in program history having the ball in his hands and taking all the big shots is somehow going to be a negative.

We get buried in that second half if AJ doesn't have the last 10 minutes that he had.
              Tuttle and Crawford need to earn their paychecks over the next couple weeks to keep adding wrinkles to the offense. AJ isn't the problem. This is two straight games where teams have forced our perimeter players to put it in the floor and it is leading to terrible decision making and turnovers. I would have loved to see Betz play since their big basically stood in the lane clogging back cuts. Betz is at least a threat to knock down a jumper and force him out to guard.

Comment

• Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

Tuttle and Crawford need to earn their paychecks over the next couple weeks to keep adding wrinkles to the offense. AJ isn't the problem. This is two straight games where teams have forced our perimeter players to put it in the floor and it is leading to terrible decision making and turnovers. I would have loved to see Betz play since their big basically stood in the lane clogging back cuts. Betz is at least a threat to knock down a jumper and force him out to guard.
                They backed off both Austin and Kimmons, similar to how opponents played Koch and Juwan. That's something to watch moving forward.

Comment

• Illinois State played out of their damn minds in terms of shooting - well beyond what they have at any point this season.

Wasn't great to let that game go the way it did but a few things to consider

For the game ISUr shot 56% from 3
                  Next game out against Bradley they shot 10%
                  Outside of the UNI game this year they've shot just 32% from deep

That one UNI game accounted for over 10% of their made 3s on the season - it's 6% of their schedule.

The loss sucked in many ways....but be sure to look at it for what it is in the big picture of the season

Also, I haven't read much of this thread beacuse I've been sick as hell and I don't really need the AJ bashing I've heard has been in it. I'm amazed at how much **** AJ has caught through his 1.5 years on campus.

He's the best talent we've ever seen on this campus. He will clear 1000 career points well before the end of this season. He's going to crush the career scoring mark at UNI and the number of UNI fans that want to ***** and pick about small **** in his game is just idiotic.

Comment

• Agreed - he put up 35 points in the game, and we have zero shot of winning that one, in fact ISUr wins it going away, if he didn't do what he did. We need a couple more guys to step up, and we'll really be in business this last couple months of the season.
                    Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                    Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                    - George Halas

Comment

Working...
                    X