WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowen Born

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowen Born

Did anyone else see his game vs Oskalusa? He is really good but I worry he is too small for college ball. What do you guys think? I am not a good judge for this.

​​​He had 49 against Osky and took it at 4 star 7 foot Xavier Foster a number of times.

Too small for college ball?

C'mon now.
    Last edited by Blue42; 01-15-2020, 08:30 PM.
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

I don't think it's a bad question. There's certainly some trade off, the bigger you are the less "skilled" (quotes because big men are still skilled in their own ways) you need to be. The smaller, the more skilled. That being said, Born is almost certainly skilled enough to compete at this level. Maybe not ACC/B10, but certainly MVC. He'll be a very, very, good get.

In the recruiting thread, there's talk on whether or not he's a day one starter, and the only reason that's talk is because the guy who plays the same position as him just put up 29 points tonight. If AJ wasn't here, he'd almost certainly be a day 1 starter. He'll be fine.

Comment

I guess I am thinking more along a line of how does he guard some of the big physical guard we face. Born is small. Not just height, he has small boy body and does not look strong. H e can score like nobody business but can he guard somebody 6" taller than him and 50 lbs heavier? I wonder.

Comment

Yeah. He's never faced bigger guys in AAU ball. Typically he's the biggest one out there.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanishMoon View Post
            I guess I am thinking more along a line of how does he guard some of the big physical guard we face. Born is small. Not just height, he has small boy body and does not look strong. H e can score like nobody business but can he guard somebody 6" taller than him and 50 lbs heavier? I wonder.
            I think it just looks different is all. If he stays in front, he's got a right to space, regardless of weight.
            And remember Big Country grabbed a rebound on Saturday and one of those little Bradley guards took it out of JD's hands with his fast little hands.

Comment

Game is entirely available for any one who wishes to watch it. Born really is the total package on offense, he can pass, handle, and holy crap can he shoot. Foster is also going to be a beast, but he is certainly a project yet.
              Key Prospects#13 Bowen Born #3 Scott Anderson #1 Grant Larson (Norwalk)#34 Xavier Foster #22 Iszac Schultz #24 Noah Van Veldhuizenhttps://twitter.com/AveryQu...

Comment

Originally posted by squeezebox View Post
                Game is entirely available for any one who wishes to watch it. Born really is the total package on offense, he can pass, handle, and holy crap can he shoot. Foster is also going to be a beast, but he is certainly a project yet.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUJq272hG0
                Don't think he missed a single free throw in that whole clip. That's a quality I love in a guard.

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

Don't think he missed a single free throw in that whole clip. That's a quality I love in a guard.
                  Yea, he's a pretty good FT shooter. He's 82-91 on the season, including 52 of his last 55.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Sounds like any late game free throws should be relatively stress free with him or AJ in the game.

Comment

Actually watching this, good god he skilled as all get out. I've been skeptical of the claim made by many as someone who hadn't seen a full game of his, but now I'm a believer; it really isn't an exaggeration to say that with a couple more inches he'd be going to a blue blood. He really is that good. If you don't have the time to watch the whole thing, then:

3:55,
                      6:53-7:11,
                      8:31,
                      9:50,
                      11:24 (just a fun dunk),
                      14:54 (for how fast he gets down the court),
                      18:18 (time expiring),
                      18:42,
                      22:22,
                      and 26:10 would all make for a quality highlight real.

There are some times where he tries to be a bit too cute while ball-handling, and there are some times where his size is an issue down low, but also keep in mind that he doesn't have someone like Green to kick out to or Phyfe to hand it off to. Those problems will be alleviated at UNI.

Comment

Foster thinks he is Kevin Durant. He seems to enjoy pumping 3’s more than banging inside.

I don’t consider Iowa State a destination for player development. It’s more like open gym.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                          Foster thinks he is Kevin Durant. He seems to enjoy pumping 3’s more than banging inside.

I don’t consider Iowa State a destination for player development. It’s more like open gym.
                          That's good stuff right there... It is a bit of an open gym and it is showing on the court this year.
                          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Why do you think Iowa State was the pick?

Style of play
                            Willing to let him play like he's a SG and not have to bang around down low
                            Not a highly disciplined set

Comment

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if in four years that we know we got the better Oskaloosa Indian.

Comment

Working...
                              X