WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowen Born

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
    It wouldn’t surprise me at all if in four years that we know we got the better Oskaloosa Indian.
    I've said this to anyone that would listen. Cole Henry was the best player on that team last year.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Yea, he's a pretty good FT shooter. He's 82-91 on the season, including 52 of his last 55.
      The thought of he and AJ out there together closing out games at the foul line has me giddy.
      Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
      Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
      - George Halas

Comment

i hope we like Henry this well after he actually plays a game for UNI. Is he even practicing full time yet? I honestly hope is good, but we beat out a laundry list of mediocre mid majors to get Henry.
        "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Originally posted by domedays View Post
          i hope we like Henry this well after he actually plays a game for UNI. Is he even practicing full time yet? I honestly hope is good, but we beat out a laundry list of mediocre mid majors to get Henry.
          He's a full go and Jake has been raving about his ability to pass the ball.

I wouldn't worry about other offers. He was an incredibly late bloomer (was 5-11 as a freshman) and he was overshadowed and underrecruited thanks to Foster. He's a good one.
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
            Foster thinks he is Kevin Durant. He seems to enjoy pumping 3’s more than banging inside.

I don’t consider Iowa State a destination for player development. It’s more like open gym.
            I have no idea whether Foster pans out, but Iowa State was a no brainer choice for him. Style of play, and development of NBA players makes them an easy choice. The Iowa Hawkeyes don’t know how to spell NBA, let alone develop anyone to make a roster at that level. There’s Tyler Cook...and...Tyler Cook. I say that as someone who’s not an Iowa State fan, it’s just fact.

Henry could end up the more productive college player, although I’ll bet the roles that he and Foster eventually fit into are totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

He's a full go and Jake has been raving about his ability to pass the ball.

I wouldn't worry about other offers. He was an incredibly late bloomer (was 5-11 as a freshman) and he was overshadowed and underrecruited thanks to Foster. He's a good one.
              He was also a terrible shooter. I see a lot of Klint Carlson in him although Klint had a more muscular build. Henry looks more athletic though and a better ball handler. My hope is he's a glass cleaner who makes everyone around him better with his passing. When shooters are covered he can take a slower or shorter defender to the paint. I'd sure like to see him fake a handoff or two and take it strong to the rim for one of his pattened dunks!
              Last edited by orangetennis; 01-21-2020, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

He was also a terrible shooter.
                Well looking at the rest of the roster/recruits, I think we'll be fine on shooting for the foreseeable future, so as long as he has "turnaround-fadeaway-in-the-paint" range I'm sure that won't be an issue.

Comment

I watched Bowen play at Gilbert tonight. I watched him play Gilbert last year just before the state tournament as well. Last year, he dropped 43 on Gilbert in a tight game until midway through the third quarter when he took over. Tonight, he had 48 and had a few minutes on the bench in the first half (he had 25 at half) and he took the bench with about 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter. He scored 12 points in the first four minutes of the game. What impressed me so much about his game, which I wasn't expecting, is he didn't play selfishly. I never thought he was a ball hog at all. He was a very good passer, he always had his eyes up court, and was ready to dish it to the open man. I was impressed that he would step back and let his team play while Gilbert had their best player guarding him pretty tight 25-30 feet from the rim, as if to take himself out of the offensive side of play. It was incredible how automatic he was. I think he missed 4-5 shots all night. Being his age, you would think he would maybe be a bit cocky or celebratory after some shots (for example, his two handed dunk), but he wasn't. He was quite humble it seems and always congratulated his teammates. Norwalk is a very good team that is pretty well rounded for the 3A level. Lastly, he has gotten bigger from last year. Of course, he still need some more weight on him, but he looked to be at least 10-15 lbs heavier than last year.

Comment

1994grad... Welcome to Panther Nation!

Comment

I was next to him on the concourse today. Wow, he's not a very big guy. Looked to be very pleasant young man.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                        I was next to him on the concourse today. Wow, he's not a very big guy. Looked to be very pleasant young man.
                        I sat 2 rows behind him tonight and yeah. The kid has a very thin frame. He seems special so I don’t have many concerns but it’s obvious that P5 schools would fear he might not be able to “bang” with those guys on a nightly basis. His frame is not one that looks like he’s ever going to bulk up that much. Hope this kid comes in and silences all the doubters.

Comment

Born put up 55 points last night.

Comment

Originally posted by rhoho View Post
                            Born put up 55 points last night.
                            Pfft, whatever. I put up 55 points in the 8th grade...like over the course of the year...if you include practice as well.

Comment

How does Born stack up against some other recent Panther newcomers in HS scoring averages?

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
                                How does Born stack up against some other recent Panther newcomers in HS scoring averages?
                                He's probably going to pass Kerwin Dunham and just doesn't have enough games left to pass Brooks McKowen's career mark but is on pace to have the highest scoring season in Iowa High School history passing McKowen.
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X